ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172... £3500... ph1 or ph2 and why?

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Hi guys.. bit of a random one.

In a few months I'll be wanting a new toy... and for the money I'm looking at, I don't think I'm gonna get faster than a Clio 172 really... they generally sound reliable if looked after also.

Now I've been looking at phase 1's mostly due to value for money. Another benefit of them being cheaper tax over the coming years as I plan to keep the car till at least 2010.

I'd wanna do a few things to the phase 1 really, such as colour coding, new steering wheel, phase 2 back lights etc just bits and bobs to make it look more modern...

I understand they're *apparently* faster than ph2 172's, but to me a ph2 looks spot on both inside and out apart from lowering which I'd do anyway to whatever car I have :)

I'm just wondering if I should get an early ph2, no need to colour code it, swap lights and so on, better interior, but more tax (£260-270 a year as of next year?!?!?!!!!) and potentially not as quick according to the specs?

What do you reckon? I mean looking around I could get a real nice ph1 for around 3k or even less, sensible miles, then spend a few hundred on improvements to the looks (subtle things, just tidying stuff up).

A friend had a 172 cup with a decat and powerflow catback, also had a pipercross viper induction kit, and it was quicker than a few mates CTR's up to 110ish and a mates remapped ibiza cupra, more than enough for me if I have one which performs aswell as that! Don't want a cup though, want ABS and luxuries!

Decisions decisions lol

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I'm a bit biased as I own one, but a ph1 doesn't look as modern as a ph2 as you've already said, but feels/looks a lot more raw...

But just ask yourself if you'd rather spend more money on pretty much the
same care.

As for the speed things, the ph1 is lighter and has a longer ratio gearbox, 72mph or so in 2nd gear in mine, loadsa fun =]

xe your corsa!! get decent tyres brakes and suspension

register it as a 2l on the v5,adrian flux are pretty reasonable with xe'd corsa's for insurance, but you'l still pay tax on a 1.6

get the suspension set up right, and do an advanced driving course.

chances are you'l be faster in a straight line and in corners than standard 172 ph 1 & 2

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
love the ph1 but i cant handle the interior just think it looks like too much going on with the funny colours. also not one for caring about too many luxuries. so ended up with a cup.........

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
How much different is the ph1 interior to the ph2?

I know the dash is different, but the seats....

Vw caddy tdi
Buy a ph1. But why then buy all the chav bits that come on a ph2 stock and ruin it by fitting and colour coding leave it alone perfect standard looks!

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
I've thought about XE'ing my car, or buying one ready done as a toy lol... I've had 2 Corsas now, part of me says time for something more modern and slightly more "grown up" as I'm 27 now. I know a Clio is still a bit of a small boyo's car to some but classier than a Corsa.

I do much prefer the ph2 interiors, I didn't realise the phase 1 had a different gearbox though.

Reliability wise are they much the same? I know about the cam/aux belt and tensioners and it being essential they've been done on the phase 1's, are the phase 2's much the same?

I'd definitely want the rub strips colour coded.. they look dated without it I think, otherwise looks wise they're fine :) Back lights aint essential really.

i wud get the ph1, the ph2 is ok(yes i have driven it before people say how do u know the difference) but the ph1 feels more raw and is more fun to drive, plus they were the 1st and imo the most fun to drive renaultsport clio about

for the money you'l not go faster or have more fun than a ph1 172

btw dnt put a 2l in a corsa unless u have a death wish, i kno a guy who done it 2 a corsa and the crossmember holding the engine broke under the power

deathtrap!

clio FTW :rasp:

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
the dash is what i was on about. i spend most my time there so i have to like it. same reason i chose a saxo vts over a pug 106. the dash layout looked old. just my personal taste.

who would buy a car they didnt like......

How much different is the ph1 interior to the ph2?

I know the dash is different, but the seats....
the seats are more grey and the renaultsport logo is white/grey

the ph1 seats are blue leather with blue suede and the logo is in colour

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
The seats are sound it's the plastics which look shite in the ph1 lol... but the stupid tax costs of the phase 2 put me off it really! :(

btw dnt put a 2l in a corsa unless u have a death wish, i kno a guy who done it 2 a corsa and the crossmember holding the engine broke under the power

deathtrap!

clio FTW :rasp:

my nova did that. spilt behind the turrets, not good,

if you xe def worth buying the strenghten kit, welding it on to helps

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
I won't XE my car I doubt... mostly cuz it's red, I hate the colour. Looks pink most of the time haha, but it's a tidy car :)

I'm not really very good @ practical stuff so I'd have to pay someone reputable to convert it, so may aswell just buy a new car.

I like 172's as they're meant to have a big engine in them, they were designed that way. The fact they handle and stop better as a package is a bonus :)

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
personally i would go for a ph2 as it's a daily driver. you get more toys making it more comfortable to live with

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm a bit biased as I own one, but a ph1 doesn't look as modern as a ph2 as you've already said, but feels/looks a lot more raw...

But just ask yourself if you'd rather spend more money on pretty much the
same care.

As for the speed things, the ph1 is lighter and has a longer ratio gearbox, 72mph or so in 2nd gear in mine, loadsa fun =]

Agreed, phase one for the winner, looks the danglies as it stands...

Disagree with putting Ph2 bumpers and things on (not saying i dont like it, just not my cuppa)

Ph1 for me everytime!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
personally i would go for a ph2 as it's a daily driver. you get more toys making it more comfortable to live with

More toys? Like what?

Xenon headlights arent toys, and seats are seats. As far as im concerned there comfortable to sit on for 3-400 miles at a time. The Ph1 isnt a stripped out drag car its a car designed for people wanting that extra oomph were it permits...

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Not bumpers mate just back lights and colour coding the rubbing strips/door handles, nothing more, not swapping bumpers if I have one :)

Maybe I'll keep looking at the phase 1 :D All I wanna do is 40mm eibach springs and an exhaust system really :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
£3500 should get you a minter if its a Ph1 mind and make sure all the belts have been done this is a major haggling point if it hasnt!

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Yep I guess I'd try get 400-450 off if they needed doing.. hopefully get one with them done though and find ways to get money off otherwise :D

M2 Competition
Lol at quicker. All the sports are roughly the same speed, nothing in it.

Go for a phase 2 if you can, but spending £3.5k expect to be spending out after purchase to make it decent.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
I want a minter really for my money so seems phase 1 is the way to go (excluding the crap steering wheels lol).

Is it easy to replace the wheel? How do you go on for MOT's with airbags and so on? Can you stop the airbag light flashing somehow?

Adam, that car is stunning :D Shame it aint a few months down the line, beauty that is, spot on what I'd want lol :)

172 Race Car
ive owned both. As said you will only get a high miler ph2 for that cash. Better off with a very nice ph1.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
lol ^

Yeah I think a phase 1 would be cool, never see any round these parts :) I notice most need alloy refurbs too... but the 16" OZ F1's do look ace, could be an option :D

Also, any of you guys know of places which can do reputable leather retrims on the steering wheel for sensible money? Could be an option instead of new wheel?

I wonder if I could get a really good one for 3k and then have some pennies spend on bits and bobs.. hmm lol

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
:D

On youtube, theres a 0-100mph of a cup, looks rather rapid for basic mods... all the others look a bit slower (or they're poor vids)

Basically will a healthy phase 1 crack 100mph in around 17 seconds still? lol