ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16V Original Front Dampers

Im trying to get hold of some of the original factory fit springs and dampers from a 1.8 16V.

Both myself and a fellow owner have recently had to have the springs and dampers replaced, and despite the garage assuring us that genuine replacement Renault parts have been used the car has lost a lot of its composure over flawed surfaces, rides higher and no longer hugs the road like it should.

For the record, replacing the springs with new genuine Renault parts while keeping the old dampers (prior to them needing replacement) gave the expected handling. Subsequently replacing the dampers sent everything south... Im aware many will say its the springs that set the height but it seems that simply is not true in this case.

I suspect that the original 16V dampers are shorter than those now fitted, and that Renault might have stopped making them. The RT of the same age (1995) rides higher, and I think these may be the dampers currently fitted.

Id like some original dampers, as first fitted straight from the factory. If you have some, or any ideas on any of the above, please let me know.

If they were the original dampers on there from when it was manufactured then they will have settled a lot over time - plus the springs will have settled too, if not snapped like mine have! This will have meant that it was, in effect, lowered, rather than being original spec.

Lowered cars do hug the road more due to increased grip through the lowering of the centre of gravity and, to some extent, the increased negative camber of the wheels, but this is at the expense of having handling that is more on/off rather than having a softer breakaway point at the limit of adhesion.

So, what Im trying to say is that it could well be the equipment you have bought is the correct standard set up but feels wrong because you have been used to a car that was previously lowered.

If that makes sense! :p

My suspension is going to need to be done at some point as well so I will be interested to see the difference it will make! Mine feels a bit flat-footed sometimes round the corners - nice and planted in a straight line and mid-corner, yes, but not very light on its feet or able to change direction very quickly...

As a thought - did you replace the bushes as well? If the new components youve fitted are new and tight, rather than being slack through old age, then the rubber bushes will be working harder as they will have to absorb more movement in the suspension. This could mean that it feels sloppy to drive! If you didnt do them then Id recommend getting them done - quite cheap for parts but quite high labour unfortunately!

Hope that is of some help, but Im only really guessing so feel free to ignore me! :p

[Edited by White16valver on 28 June 2005 at 10:24pm]

edit: Oh, and welcome! Hope youre going to stay a while :)

The old age saggyness concept had occurred to me too. I didnt get the bushes done at the time as I was in a hurry (I drove the car to the south of France 2 days after the suspension work was done - 3000 miles in 10 days!), but had everything else.

Now the springs are done, I might do the bushes myself, since Im going to have the car on ramps in the near future anyway to take the front off it (last owner had a light front ender, think the headlights are pushed back a bit and the bumper and drivers side wing need remounting).

The fellow owner who had similar repairs has done a years motoring (10K ish) and his car still sits too high, level with mine.

Have recently found that the various clio dampers have 52 or 54 mm hole spacing, while the 16V is something else, as yet unspecified...

The search for the truth continues. Id quite like to try a moderately lowered 16V to see how it feels... My next step looks like being to change suspension and steering bushes.

Have you considered poly-bushing it?

Im undecided as to whether to do it or not when I have the money - would make sense financially but I dont want to lose the ability to relax at the wheel rather than having it writhing in my hands over every single bump and undulation!

K-tec racing do complete set of poly bushes for £101.05. Id sooner have writhing with accuracy than wallowing with sloppyness I think, so I may well go for them... How much are the Renault originals?

Quote: Originally posted by Mephiston on 29 June 2005

K-tec racing do complete set of poly bushes for £101.05. Id sooner have writhing with accuracy than wallowing with sloppyness I think, so I may well go for them... How much are the Renault originals?
Yeah, I see where youre coming from...

No idea on the price of renault originals though Im afraid!