ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v Rounded Spark Plugs - Unable to remove - Help!

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Had the car a year now and was informed it had had a service when I purchased it, so now 12K later I thought best to service it as it wasnt idling right when cold.

Both Plugs 1 and 4 appear to of been rounded off and I am unable to remove them... It is going to be a head off job in order to get them out?

Thanks,
WP_20140527_002.jpgWP_20140527_002.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Are you sure they're rounded? Either my glasses or s**t or your autofocus is.

If they are rounded then yes, head off. If it's you using the wrong socket, plonka.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Yeah Im 99% sure its rounded and my autofocus is terrible! No not my fault on this one - Using a 14mm Deep socket - Not responsible!

How much of a Job is getting the head off and How much would someone charge?

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Are you sure they're rounded? Either my glasses or s**t or your autofocus is.

If they are rounded then yes, head off. If it's you using the wrong socket, plonka.

Think its a bit clearer in this photo...

Attachments

• WP_20140527_004.jpg
    WP_20140527_004.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 402
  MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Yeah Im 99% sure its rounded and my autofocus is terrible! No not my fault on this one - Using a 14mm Deep socket - Not responsible!

How much of a Job is getting the head off and How much would someone charge?

I thought plugs were 16 or 21mm normally?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Have you looked at the end of the lead looks like the rubber insert has come off. You will have to take that out first. I've never seen a plug rounded off.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Have you looked at the end of the lead looks like the rubber insert has come off. You will have to take that out first. I've never seen a plug rounded off.

Havent done yet, was sure it looked like bare metal... If so how hard is it to get that rubber insert out?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
You need luck and some long pics.
It can look weird but it would be very hard to round off as a 15mm wouldn't go down there. And you would snap it first doing it silly tight

Looks like metal filings down there too? Could be rubber insert. I don't really see how you would round a plug off! There's a guy called the thread doctor down here in west sussex. He loves things like this. Always seems to be able to sort them out! Dunno where your based but might be someone like that near you if ya get stuck?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You need luck and some long pics.
It can look weird but it would be very hard to round off as a 15mm wouldn't go down there. And you would snap it first doing it silly tight

I agree, more likely to be the plastic/rubber end cap from the plug lead. Smash the socket over the bastid

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Based In Hereford so quite a way away - all we have is Farmers - not renowned for their dexterity and patience!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
My 14mm mac tools socket will not sit around the 1.2 plugs makes it feel like they are rounded, i can only get them out with my snap on 14mm socket, strange.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
My 14mm mac tools socket will not sit around the 1.2 plugs makes it feel like they are rounded, i can only get them out with my snap on 14mm socket, strange.

Worked fine on the other two... Its a Halfrauds advanced one btw.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Based In Hereford so quite a way away - all we have is Farmers - not renowned for their dexterity and patience!

Don't knock farmers I bet they would have it out in minutes... but I agree we have no patience.. Hammer, drill, welder call a mechanic. ;)

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Don't knock farmers I bet they would have it out in minutes... but I agree we have no patience.. Hammer, drill, welder call a mechanic. ;)

Cant mock farmers they would get it out! Weather it would work ever again is a whole different question!

clio dci , ren8
Have you tried using the proper spark plug socket for the 1.2 16v ?or are you just using a ordinary socket ? And yes there is a proper socket for those plugs :nono:

3 Series touring
Tried getting the rubber bit out with the end of a long screwdriver? Then you'll be able to get to the plug.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
If your finding it tough I'll be about in Gloucester the weekend.

Thanks for the offer been up in Llangollen all day today so will have a try tomorrow, Just going to get a piece of wire and try pull it out if it is the rubber bit.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Have you tried using the proper spark plug socket for the 1.2 16v ?or are you just using a ordinary socket ? And yes there is a proper socket for those plugs :nono:

Just using a 14mm Deep dish socket - Didnt know there was a proper one...

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Fixed!!!!!!! Firstly thanks to all of you that offered help and advice, after a little bit of work with a bench grinder and a hacksaw I made something that could fit down the side of the rubber grommet's that were stuck and pull them out. Plugs Changed!

Attachments

• WP_20140529_002.jpg
    WP_20140529_002.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 246
  • WP_20140529_003.jpg
    WP_20140529_003.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 218

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
litterly got the same problem car decided to go into limp mode on way home so i got it home, and though oh it looks like the HT leads (as there was a masive gouge out of the number 4 lead) so i brought new leads and went to plonk them on only to find that not only is the number 2 lead got the rubber grommet missing and shuved in the stupid spark plug the spark plug doesn't look like any of the others tbh it looked a bit wrong but i need to get that rubber out first gunna try fabricate something similar lol