ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clay bar how/what?

I've read a lot of good things about using a clay bar, but do you just rub a it all over the car and leave it? Does it clean or shine? cheers

Ph1 172 + Combo van
it basically picks up the tar and comtamination that is bedded into the paintwork that is not removed when washing.

you use it between the washing stage and the polishing stage. you will need to rewash after claying though.

depending on what clay you use, you will use a lubricant which you will spray onto the panel and rub the clay over the contamination until it is lifted by the clay. fold the clay to reveal a fresh side once it gets too contaminated.

once you have finished the paint will probally look quite dull and have dull patches which will polish out. it will remove all waxes and sealants on the surface too.

id recomend bilt hamber auto clay as you can use water as a lubricant and i found it worked really well. i wouldnt reccomend the poorboys stuff as imo it was s**te!

M135i
greenalex90;4624106id recomend bilt hamber auto clay as you can use water as a lubricant and i found it worked really well. i wouldnt reccomend the poorboys stuff as imo it was s**te![/quote said:
Wheres the best place to buy this and what is a good price ?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
i got mine off ebay mate. ill try and find you a link to the stuff i bought.:)

White Sti Hatch
You wont have a nice Shiny car just after claying youll then need to either hand Polish it with somin like SRP to get it looking good and some Wax on top to protect the work.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Im glad rich mentioned your car will look worse. It suprises me how many people clay their car and then say how much of an improvement it gives the car.

Only clay if the paint is to be corrected in my opinion. I remember looking at my brothers car under halogens before claying and it had a few swirls and a bit of marring, after claying it looked fucked. Obviously it had a full correction after though. :)

just to reignite an old thread... I clayed my car tonight for the first time in its 5 year life a boy was there some muck on it judging by te colour of the clay...

I was quite disappointed with the results visually until I realised the clay has probably removed all the wax, polish etc that has been added to the car over the years that was in fact covering up all the imperfections - could this be right?

Secondly for the real claying geeks out there... does anyone know if the clay bar can lightly mark the car, especially as it passes over ridges on the cars form (if that makes sense) where the crap the bar is carrying come into contact with the ridge? I am only asking because under inspection there are lots of very light marks tracing the ridge on the car that runs from the tail light to the spoiler (look at your car, you'll see what I mean)?

106 GTi
There is a chance clay can induce marring after all your shearing of grime and scratching it across the paint, and yes it will strip off any filling products making it look worse.

Crack out that polish !