ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choices! Low mileage 172cup vs high mileage trophy?

Hi members, I am looking at getting my first RS Clio and I have 2 cars in mind that are local to me both are the same price (insurance higher for the trophy) but I am lost to which I should really choose. There is a low mileage 172 cup on ~25k miles in great condition with belt/dephaser done. Then there is a trophy at the same price but much higher mileage nearer to ~100K miles with the belt, dephaser and refurb on the sachs done. Can anyone give me advice which is the better of the 2 when the separating factor is only mileage? Cheers for any advice :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
depends on budget- ideally a 60-70k cup would be the best choice @ 2-2500 k.
you will need north of 5k on a decent low mileage trophy.

S

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Trophy will be easier to sell than asking big money for a low mileage 12+ year old car.

Buy on condition, not mileage. If they've both been looked after the same then maybe consider buying a 100k Cup and pocketing a few grand?

172 Turbo
It depends on you, if you want a low mileage Cup and you're going to use it very little, then buy one for £5k and hope you can find someone looking for a 40k one for £5k when you sell.

Personally, I'd be gutted as soon as it got a knock in a carpark and I'd not want to track it. That's why I have a £1400 shed-Cup with new suspension

Hi members, I am looking at getting my first RS Clio and I have 2 cars in mind that are local to me both are the same price (insurance higher for the trophy) but I am lost to which I should really choose. There is a low mileage 172 cup on ~25k miles in great condition with belt/dephaser done. Then there is a trophy at the same price but much higher mileage nearer to ~100K miles with the belt, dephaser and refurb on the sachs done. Can anyone give me advice which is the better of the 2 when the separating factor is only mileage? Cheers for any advice :smile:
Depends, if you want some creature comforts and exclusivity then the Trophy. If you want a no frills hot hatch get a Cup. Not sure id spend over 5k on a Clio though. I've had 2, my Cup and previously a 172 and the most I paid was £2100 for the cup as it had loads of big mods done already. Remap, exhaust, eibachs, brembos all round, indction kit, 182 seats and a sub in the boot. Test drive them both and see what you think. Is the cup blue or silver? If its silver then they're almost as rare as a Trophy. Happy shopping.

It depends on you, if you want a low mileage Cup and you're going to use it very little, then buy one for £5k and hope you can find someone looking for a 40k one for £5k when you sell.

Personally, I'd be gutted as soon as it got a knock in a carpark and I'd not want to track it. That's why I have a £1400 shed-Cup with new suspension
I see your point. The mileage from me would all be from social driving due to having a work vehicle so it is food for thought.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
@WhiteRabbit1990

uploadfromtaptalk1431377313955.jpg

RB182
Id buy neither.

5.5k id rather buy a newer 197 with recaros or an fn2.
No way would I be putting 5.5k into a trophy approaching 100k, itd be dead money after you keep it for a year or two and put normal mileage onto it. Who would want to pay anywhere near 5.5k for a clio with say 120k (regardless of trophy status or not!)
It's still a POS 10+ year old clio with some fancy suspension.
The cup with 25k would actually start to become an appreciating classic in a few years. It'd be a great car to store away and not drive!
Personally I would try to get a nice full fat 182 with a few mods and 50-70k at around 3k.

I sold my ff rb 182 (both cup packs bla bla bla) with belts/dephaser done, full piper exhaust, springs, fsh and 60k for around £3.3k just over a year ago !!

RB182
Ps have you had french stuff before?? Lol.
If reliability is key to you perhaps think again...
Another appreciating classic if you could find a good one would be an E36 M3. 300ish bhp, rwd and a lsd.

172 and 182 clios are fun but they don't make sence if not cheap.
As someone said above at 5.5k for a phase 2 clio youd be scared to damage it and drive it properly like you could with a cheaper one.

Ps a cup as a daily would be crap. Really crap.
Pov spec interior, no xenons and no abs.
no abs is stupid as a daily in wet old uk.

Yes a cup may be a bit more raw on a track but for a daily why would you subject yourself to it.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A lot of hate for X65's in here!

I know the Cup in question very well as I've done its belts, driveshafts and servicing over the recent years and it really has been both well driven and well cared for (The guy has bi-annual oil changes without any reminder ffs). Personally, and bare in mind that I see a lot of these cars each week, I find the X65 just as reliable as the X85 except the X65 is cheaper for the silly things that the cars "consume" so for example, Brakes, steering and geometry parts, bushes but the gearboxes and clutch mechanisms aren't anywhere near as fragile.

For me personally, it has to be a Cup... And I own one! The Trophy is nice but they are (again, IMHO) too hard for daily use and have delusions of grandeur. I know owners that bring them in for service and then put them straight back in an oxygen bubble like its a 60's super car. They're a Clio at the end of the day still.

As for the 172 Cup not being "worth it". The SPL was a limited run vehicle and we will never, ever see a car of its specification built again. When you look at the actual numbers, they made more Clio Williams than they did 172 Cups and whilst I'm not saying the Cup is going to hold its value better than a Williams, it is deffo a future collectable so don't write it off just yet as the prices on them are going up.

Last point is like to make - a 172 Cup as a daily in the UK is absolutely fine. ABS won't save you from having an accident in any car and as a safety system, all it will do is enable you to be able to steer whilst you apply the brake at maximum effort. If you drive any car hard enough in stupid conditions you will eventually have an accident.

RB182
Last point is like to make - a 172 Cup as a daily in the UK is absolutely fine. ABS won't save you from having an accident in any car and as a safety system, all it will do is enable you to be able to steer whilst you apply the brake at maximum effort. If you drive any car hard enough in stupid conditions you will eventually have an accident.

After having a child step in front of me whilst I was doing circa 28mph in my wife's old car years ago and having no abs, locked up in slightly damp conditions, slid and almost colided with the child.
It was the first time I had to proper emergency stop in all my years of driving and I had no time at all to react and to pump the brakes as we all imagine would be so easy to do in such a situation.
I could not recommend a non abs equipped car to anyone. Especially a car like a 172 which is likely to be driven harder than other dailies as people imagine they are Loeb around town...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i own both and to be honest have considered selling the trophy and keeping the cup as i dont mind using the cup properly, i hate putting miles on the trophy or risking a stone chip on it!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Cup for me tbh, If you got it for £4000 and kept it low miles and for a good few years it would be worth a punt, probably wouldn't want to use it as a daily if you wanted to keep money in it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The one thing the 172 Cups are absolute fuc&*rs for is driveshafts and they are Renault only now at £190ish+VAT each trade, not retail... and this next bit is true for any Renault IMHO... buy a cheap one and you will end up spending over what you expect on silly things like belts, clutches and other bits before you get in to the "tidying it up" part. Of course it's your money but if you can buy a genuinely good example with documents to back it all up then i'd urge you to spend a little more to save it long term and not to mention give some reliability.

@INZ 18 - If that actually happened (and i'm not saying it didn't) then I can see why that would scare you. This is exactly why ABS was made mandatory on all vehicles after a specific build date but you cannot worry about everything in the World especially when it is beyond your control. You didn't hit the child, if you had it wouldn't have been your fault (not that it would've made the act any easier to live with if it were me) and finally, even at 28mph an ABS system would still extend your braking "zone" by around 5-7% so there's no scientific evidence to say it would've saved the kid IF the unthinkable had happened. All it would've enabled you to do would have been to steer around the child and potentially in to oncoming traffic. ABS is a great system, I love it but what people *think* it does Vs what it *actually* does are two completely different things and do not confuse a really old Bosch ABS v4 from an X65 with a modern governed setup as found on the current range of cars.

This is why we used to advise that drivers do weekly tyre pressure and tread depth checks but *most* people don't nor do they give a s**t about it because cars appear to be so safe now and the public is, generally speaking, kept away from dangerous roads with barriers and fences making it all very clinical.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I took the ABS out of mine.

Clearly imminent crash awaits.

Don't forget the mass slaughter of innocent children and the elderly! Drive to the conditions as always and be aware of your surroundings rather than playing on a bloody phone, listening to any radio station that plays that OMI b****cks.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
What did people do before ABS!? I didn't have ABS until I got my current Peugeot. No-one died. ABS in snow is a joke. I may never stop......

I wouldn't pay 5k for a cup as it is over a decade old so it's not going to be factory fresh regardless of the mileage. if your handy with the spanners you can renew all the important components on a tidy car that would cost half that. I'm pretty shocked how cheap suspension and steering parts are. Lower arms are 130quid each on my Peugeot and a damper 75quid from the dealer. The Clio is not a mile off half of that.

I think the cups are under-rated in terms of classic status and as many end up as track mules it's only a matter of time before the prices rise but I'm shocked at 5K.

How many cars of that time put the middle finger up to progress and managed to come out with such a fun little car!!

If all the suspension was done then 4k might be worth it but even that I think I'd wince and I'm a big cup fan