ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chirping noise & brake light issue!

Apologies if this has been covered, but I’ve searched with no luck!

I have a chirping sound coming from the steering / drive assembly, but only when turning right. It’s not the CV joints, and the noise is not affected by speed. There is no noise when driving straight or turning left and it doesn’t particularily get worse when getting closer to steering lock.

Doesn’t sound anything like wheel bearings or brake related (as stated, the noise isn’t speed related, just slightly dependant on turn angle)

I know the MY04 cars like mine (1.6 16v) have electric power steering, so could the issue be there?

I also have an issue with the brake light switch, it's not activating until I'm pushing hard on the brake pedal. Can it be adjusted or do I need a new switch?!

Thanks!!

Anyone?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhnM6ypCxcvFpecQsbG6twuphXJWLwjt_UualS3nU3RixDcLHwvw.png

Not sure about the chirping noise.

For the brake light issue, put your head down by your pedals, on top or behind the brake pedal there's a little switch type thing which when you push down on the brake pedal, it pushed the button in turning on the brake light.

You need to adjust that switch by either pulling it out or pushing it in. It takes some force to pull it out IIRC.

Here's a guide here, but you need to be a full member to see it.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?307978-Quick-guide-on-how-to-alter-brake-pedal-switch

Cool - thanks Dan. I pulled the switch out last night, so I'll take a closer look at it over the weekend...

More worried about the chirping noise though! It's not getting worse, but it's pretty loud and I don't know what it is / where it's coming from!!

FF clio 182 e46 vert
Chirping noise I would say is either going to be your auxilary belt or tensioner under load when ur turning the wheel or possibly power steering pump but I would say check aux belt fist

Thanks Kane... going to try a few things this week. Have ordered the top mount washers and will grease everything up when fitting them...

Will also check the tension on the Aux belt..

Can it be power steering on the electric models?! Never worked on an electric p/s assembly!

Although having a think about it, there is no noise when stationary, and the chirping sound is not speed or rev's related... Could that still be the aux belt?!

banther

ClioSport Club Member
May sound silly but check your calipers. Could be spunking away your brake fluid (happened to me) causing a chirping noise every so often as they were grinding on the disc.

Defintely not brake fluid / caliper related, but thanks for keeping the ideas coming in.... Will be going through some of the suggestions this evening and will definitely post results as /when I have them!

The chirping is relatively high frequency and not affected by speed..

RS clio 172
Defintely not brake fluid / caliper related, but thanks for keeping the ideas coming in.... Will be going through some of the suggestions this evening and will definitely post results as /when I have them!

The chirping is relatively high frequency and not affected by speed..

Does it sound like a belt noise / when you say chirping is it a constant chirp under acceleration?

Yes, I guess it sounds more like a belt sound than mechanical knocking, however it's only related to steering angle. As I said, chirping starts just off centre (only turning right) get's a little worse with around 1/4 of a turn of steering lock then doesn't change all the way to the lock stops.

Speed, braking, revs & suspension movement do not change the volume or frequnecy of the chirping noise...

Top mount washers should be here tomorrow, so will fit them and inspect the suspension while I'm there.. Not convinced that they're the source of the issue, but it's a cheap item to rule out!!

RS clio 172
Yes, I guess it sounds more like a belt sound than mechanical knocking, however it's only related to steering angle. As I said, chirping starts just off centre (only turning right) get's a little worse with around 1/4 of a turn of steering lock then doesn't change all the way to the lock stops.

Speed, braking, revs & suspension movement do not change the volume or frequnecy of the chirping noise...

Top mount washers should be here tomorrow, so will fit them and inspect the suspension while I'm there.. Not convinced that they're the source of the issue, but it's a cheap item to rule out!!

Not sure if this is any help but my clio did this a few weeks back and it turned out to be a wheel bearing, only heard it when it was turning a specific way. oh and there was a similar noise which was a lightly feathered tire.

Not sure if this is any help but my clio did this a few weeks back and it turned out to be a wheel bearing, only heard it when it was turning a specific way. oh and there was a similar noise which was a lightly feathered tire.

Thanks Benzz, although wouldn't the noise coming from a wheel bearing be speed sensitive?

could be plastic tuching the steering colem

Hi mate, care to expand on that? Where should I be looking for this?!

* still haven't had time to fit the top mount spacers, but want to eliminate all options and this is something I haven't heard of yet...

The chirping is slowly turning into what sounds like a mechanical bubble wrap popping at high frequency when turning right.

Following some other similar threads, I have ruled out several possible sources, it's not:

ECU bracket
Exhaust & manifold brackets / heatsheilds
Suspension components (as far as I can see)
Also can't see anything touching the steering column

Things I haven't checked (that have been suggested):
Aux belt tensioner

Any other ideas? :S

Quick update - couldn't find the source so booked the car in.

When I dropped it off, mechanic suspected a diff or gearbox issue..... I can only sit and wait now :(

Bloody Clio, mechanic can't find any fault with it! Just to be clear, the noise is very audible, he just has no idea where it's coming from.... :banghead:

I told him to keep searching, or else the car will drive me nuts!