ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheating - and making games better?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Now normally, I despise cheating in games. They quickly nullify any sense of achievement or progression through a game and ultimately make it quite boring.

Perhaps the last time I was involved in any form of active 'cheat' in a game (prior to the one I'll mention below) was with online Borderlands 2. I'd pumped about 50 hours into the game at that point and actively enjoyed the mission progression and occasional appearance of much better loot items. I went to the casket in the game where you got one shot at a decent weapon. I used my token and out came an averagely good gun, but it was certainly far from a WMD.

That was about the time I tried it online with a few mates. I was much further ahead than them in terms of level and for an hour or two, it was an interesting game dynamic to protect the other two in a firefight, while at the same time see them rank up rapidly, due to my much higher level.

Then Pete found the token 'repeater' hack online. This effectively made the casket of one-off decent weaponry, pretty much offload kit at an unlimited rate. What we didn't like we could sell for decent money and the better kit we kept for ourselves.

It was fun for a short while, but it made the game from then on a bit flat. Decent kit that I had previously fought tooth and nail for, now became no more than a quick revisit to the chest and see what was on offer there. As a consequence, I quickly became bored with the BL2.

Yet fast forward to this week and I thought I'd have a dabble at making XCOM just that little bit easier. The game itself has a brilliant balance of in-game tactics of risk & reward, paired with a character development and research section. One aspect that I always thought was silly with the whole game however, was with money. The entire planet is under alien invasion. The countries represented in the game donate trivial, paltry sums on a monthly basis that you can spend on upgrading your base or buying new equipment. But isn't that all a bit silly? The game uses it's own currency - but lets call it dollars. Why would the first line of defense against an alien invasion have a pot of currency valued at $316 - yet to simply excavate and make room for another facility - cost me $80 alone? Why would I not be able to purchase four interceptors per continent as an attempt at warding off alien craft? Oh, because I've ran out of money. Not just a bit - but literally no where near the funds for a picket-line defense.

This single aspect of the game pulls you too far away from the core function of tackling the aliens head on and instead forces you to become a bloody bean-counter. It's not a stumbling block - but a huge hurdle. One that makes progression achingly and agonizingly slow - simply because France got s**t on from an invasion and they refused to pay up their $20 this month.

Bulls**t.

So here I was, having a dabble with the rather excellent CheatEngine. Fired up XCOM and my recent saved game. I edited my $193 that I had in-game - to a much more healthy $500,000. Has this ruined the game? Not one bit. My team is still at high risk from alien attack. I don't research anything any quicker. I don't build facilities any quicker. I'm still just as reliant on scavenging the area after a mission for ultra rare elements and components for my R&D guys. But now I can assign the scientists, the researchers and alien materials in a much more enjoyable capacity - simply because the silly money aspect has now been nullified. I can now spend money on more med-kits that fannying about and trying to get the funds to bolster the single aircraft that's tasked to defend the entire North American continent.

In a nutshell, it's probably the first time where I've used a cheat that's actually improved the game for me. Sure, there will be the sado-masochists out there that want the budgetary gimp-suits applied along with all the other concerns of the game. But for me, it was a step a little too far by the devs. And I've just helped myself fix the problem. :)

D

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
GTAV online. Git gifted money and then glitched to level up to put me on an even playing field with the tank griefers.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you have to cheat to make the game playable then I would stick my neck out to say it wasn't a good game to start with.

GTA 5 is the perfect example.

Clio 172
I hate cheats and hacks in online gaming. GTA 5 is a prime example. I loved that game when it went online, then within a couple of weeks there were people playing with millions, loads of weapons and all the property because they hacked it. Made playing boring and forced your hand to cheat just to get on a level field.

Same with BL2. Me and my friends LOVED it, we had all the expansions and maxed leveled out after doing all the missions on all the skills levels, we scavenged and farmed for all the best weapons and it was really rewarding, and we would join other games to help others level up really quick. But eventually we made friends with some guys who would hack and they dropped loads of gear for us...all sorts of hacked weapons and things that shouldn't be in the game. We stopped playing soon after. i'm still excited for the next BL game though! :p

Jack

Polo + Micra
who didn't change rules.ini so your grenadiers could throw a-bombs half way across the map:cool:

Evo 8 MR
Bit like The Sims and SimCity series. Definitely more fun to play with unlimited funds.

I don't agree with cheating when playing multiplayer online though.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
I quickly got bored of playing CoD games that had a fan base enforcing broken mechanics; try and play a little differently and make things interesting and you'll get steamrolled. Similarly I got bored of systematically stacking kill streaks and finishing games with +40 kills.

So I put a rapid fire/macro chip in my controller and had all sorts of fun griefing lobbies with rapid fire sniper rifles and crazy drop shots/reload cancels.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I quickly got bored of playing CoD games that had a fan base enforcing broken mechanics; try and play a little differently and make things interesting and you'll get steamrolled. Similarly I got bored of systematically stacking kill streaks and finishing games with +40 kills.

So I put a rapid fire/macro chip in my controller and had all sorts of fun griefing lobbies with rapid fire sniper rifles and crazy drop shots/reload cancels.

If it bores you, stop playing the f**king game, why try to ruin other's experience?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bit like The Sims and SimCity series. Definitely more fun to play with unlimited funds.

I don't agree with cheating when playing multiplayer online though.

I know what you're saying there. Currently in XCOM I'm on -$188 per month - and that's purely from the upkeep of the facilities I have. No way could I generate enough money playing the game 'properly' to be able to afford that.

Like I insinuated in my OP, the world is being attacked en masse by aliens. As if governments would hold back on funding? Money would be the least of our issues!

D.

I know what you're saying there. Currently in XCOM I'm on -$188 per month - and that's purely from the upkeep of the facilities I have. No way could I generate enough money playing the game 'properly' to be able to afford that.

Like I insinuated in my OP, the world is being attacked en masse by aliens. As if governments would hold back on funding? Money would be the least of our issues!

D.

I'm loving XCOM but after the first couple of in game months it's quite easy to get money - I think I'm in my 3rd month now and earning $1200 a month from countries alone. I've completed the game a couple of times and the first few months are the most important in the game - if you f**k it up you might aswell start again.

Not a 320d
Did it occasionally back in the days of CS but got bored quickly. I had spent many many hours playing it before however. BF3 I did it with. 1000 yard headshots with a silenced pistol was quite funny. Again got bored with trying to level up to get better weapons and continued to cheat because I found the rage and frustration from other people really funny.

DAYZ was the big one for me. Thats where I really understood how irritating cheaters were. Didnt take long before I started doing it myself just to get even. Played it with mates where we would hunt down groups of players in a chopper and gun them down, spawning a horde of zombies on people etc.

I never did it for any other reason than to be a total c**t because thats what kind of sick b*****d I am.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I used cheats on RollerCoaster Tycoon back in the day to get unlimited money and a bigger playing area - made the game much more enjoyable for me personally.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the game but whenever I cheated on a game in anyway in the past the game became boring fairly quick.

Listerine & Poledo
Open TTD - why piss about with the startup diesels, take the money, build awesome rail network, fill with electric trains.

Doesn't ruin it.

In general I'd say I'd do a play-through without any cheats then cheat away afterwards, no sense in spoiling storylines / difficulty until you've beaten the game by yourself.

A shiny black one.
I can honestly say I've never cheated in multiplayer games. Can't see the point. It does piss me off when other people do cheat, I try to keep to servers which have active mods that keep an eye on the mongs.

With regards to most single player games I always try to complete the game without cheating, I'll always reduce difficulty level first before seeking out cheats.

Once completed I like to try and play games in different ways and happily use cheats to do so. Take the fallout series, you could complete those games in different ways. After finishing first time round id replay but either glitch or use code to advance my character very quickly.

Sim city style games I'll always play in sandbox modes, and cheat, I get far more pleasure playing those games with unlimited funds and full access to buildings then sitting for hours on end trying to unlock this that and the rest.

Last edited:

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
People who cheat online boil my piss, particularly on FPS games. c***s, the lot of them. Like the dickhead above who glitches CoD - it's partly down to people like him that the game is fucked.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
People who cheat online boil my piss, particularly on FPS games. c***s, the lot of them. Like the dickhead above who glitches CoD - it's partly down to people like him that the game is fucked.

Lol, no. It's down to Infinty Ward for not being able to design a game properly. Fwiw I used to score in the region of 40/10 without cheating, with cheats I never did as well because I was using stupid weapons and playing for fun, not to win.

Using glitches and exploiting lazily designed game mechanics is part of online gaming. IMHO there's no difference in exploiting the terrible coding on weapons and spawn trapping a team to death. Both of those things can easily be stopped by the game devs.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, so irritating other users online, by using stupid cheats, isn't a bad thing, and is someone else's fault?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's a game (a badly designed one at that), who cares? Don't like who you're playing with? Leave the lobby.

I don't play it. But I'm wondering how boring my evenings would have to be to play Call of duty online with my goal being to try and spoil others' experience.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheats are surely all part of the game in the first place or the developers wouldnt put them there.

If it makes it more enjoyable for you then use them. If it doesnt then dont.

The scenario above, I dont know why they dont just have an option of "with economy, or without economy" and then let you pick
A bit like letting you choose auto or manual gears in a car game. You can still play the rest.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I don't play it. But I'm wondering how boring my evenings would have to be to play Call of duty online with my goal being to try and spoil others' experience.

But Jeff, it's the developer's fault, apparently.

It's like people who get irritated at kids racing Corsa's around - that's actually Vauxhall's fault. And people getting upset at binge drinkers, that's the breweries fault too.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
Okay, so irritating other users online, by using stupid cheats, isn't a bad thing, and is someone else's fault?

It is a bad thing, definitely, but it's a symptom of lazy programming. I stopped playing CoD games a long time ago because of it. You need to use exploits to be good at it and stay competitive, whether that's controller mods or searching out exploitive gameplay loops.

Last time I played an online FPS there were more people using exploits than not, hence I don't play them anymore.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheats are surely all part of the game in the first place or the developers wouldnt put them there.

If it makes it more enjoyable for you then use them. If it doesnt then dont.

The scenario above, I dont know why they dont just have an option of "with economy, or without economy" and then let you pick
A bit like letting you choose auto or manual gears in a car game. You can still play the rest.

Cheat codes, maybe. I can accept them, as they don't tend to ruin the game for other people. It's the tosspots who hack / glitch online games, to give them an unfair advantage over other people, like to guy on page 1 openly admitted to.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But Jeff, it's the developer's fault, apparently.

It's like people who get irritated at kids racing Corsa's around - that's actually Vauxhall's fault. And people getting upset at binge drinkers, that's the breweries fault too.

If you race in a single series fiesta championship and there is some loophole that allows people to turn up in a formula ford car instead and is allowed, then its the organisers fault.

Its human nature to cheat so its upto games developers to realise that and protect others from that IMHO.

Likewise on your example about binge drinks if a nightclub carries on serving when people are clearly already far too drunk then they will have to accept they will lose some customers as a result who dont want to share with such people.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheat codes, maybe. I can accept them, as they don't tend to ruin the game for other people. It's the tosspots who hack / glitch online games, to give them an unfair advantage over other people, like to guy on page 1 openly admitted to.

Yeah, big difference, although the developers should certianly try hard to stop the latter.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've cheated in single player games. I've had the 20,000mph skylines, the invisible Sam Fisher, pistols with the fire rate of a minigun, stopping power of a Challenger Mk2 and clip size of a GPMG, and fiddled with textures etc. but I've never done it in multiplayer and wouldn't recommend it either. Makes you a bit of a dick.

I'd say NewTweakOrder has extended my interest in LFS further than I would've done ordinarily. Being able to modify the cars' power etc is something sorely missing from the standard game.

Definitely agree with the play-it-through-properly-then-cheat-like-a-premier-league-footballer technique.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I 'glitched' my armour ratings on Skyrim, so not so much cheating but still the same principle I guess. I just let a mammoth keep attacking me to boost my armour haha. It did get boring though as I ended up having full enchanted daedric armour with ridiculous high defence figures. I could stand in a bunch of 20 guards and let them attack me and it would take a very very long time for me to lose a lot of health.

Cheating online though like in Cod, "god mode" and having auto aim/1 hit kill enabled etc = sad, sad c***s.

Fiesta ST-2
You need to use exploits to be good at it and stay competitive, whether that's controller mods or searching out exploitive gameplay loops.

You need exploits to be good? Exploits take away the need for skill, so you relying on them is effectively making you worse.

I love God mode after completing a game. Like on fallout, I just like wandering about looking for stuff. I used to cheat on the main story though with the unlock command for the doors.

On on forza 3 because I never played online back then I modded the game to have silly amounts of cash after finishing the career races.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Lol at needing to cheat to be better. Many, many times us CS lot destroyed the hackers on Cod! Even when they had aim bots etc!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, no. It's down to Infinty Ward for not being able to design a game properly

Using glitches and exploiting lazily designed game mechanics is part of online gaming. IMHO there's no difference in exploiting the terrible coding on weapons and spawn trapping a team to death. Both of those things can easily be stopped by the game devs.

It is a bad thing, definitely, but it's a symptom of lazy programming.
LOL! That is all. :clown:

A shiny black one.
Yes, probably because people have paid good money to play a game they should enjoy to then have the experience ruined by some random mongo.

Last edited:
  DCi
When I first started online PC games I used to play hidden and dangerous 2... I think this was pre-punk buster days and I was bored so a friend and I found a way to get the textures out the game and replace them with whatever we wanted...

We made all the tree textures transparent and went on a level which was basically a forest...i essentially had a wall hack because I could see for miles when everyone else could see about 10ft

I had a laugh for an hour or 2 then put it back...I was more happy with the fact that we 'cracked' the game rather than try and get any kind of advantage

I suppose it's easier without PB/vac ... I wouldn't risk the black mark against my name if that was possible