ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap track car any recommendations

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
So been set on a 197 for a while and have my no claims in, so insurance isn't a problem I want a car were I can take it to the track etc as well as on the road. So cars I'm stuck between are any clio sports a mk1 mx5 or cheap bmw step dad has a 2001 318 I can have for £800. Any thoughts

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I have a trophy in my section-

See my threads.- sounds ideal for what you want.

Steve

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Whats your budget? Straight out of the box Id go for a cup unless your after cage and buckets then I may have something to suit..

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Around £3000 or £5000 for a 197 maybe abit more and cage and buckets I would like but can always be put in so not that big of a deal

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
There are very few 197s that have been turned into track cars- most have had a lot of money on Meg 225 engines- then sellers want north of 9k on them-

S

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well from personal experience I can tell you a mk1 mx5 is much cheaper to mod and there are much more parts available for it.

The clio is faster and handles really well out of the box but in my opinion it is limited tuning wise.

If you got an mx5 you could stick a turbo on it cheaply and it would handle it no problem, a Clio on the other-hand would really need a new diff and gearbox rebuild too!

Avoid the BMW, slow expensive and boat like.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Clio 172, they are fantastic.

Whilst I agree, I think they are great for a low budget and a high budget. But in-between not so much.

They are the kind of car you can keep standard and have loads of fun but to do any decent upgrades you'll be looking at a fair chunk of money.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Whilst I agree, I think they are great for a low budget and a high budget. But in-between not so much.

They are the kind of car you can keep standard and have loads of fun but to do any decent upgrades you'll be looking at a fair chunk of money.

He said he has around 5K, thats perfect for buying a good 172 and then getting it to a decent standard to go on track.

I agree that having 10-15 to spend on one is probably not an ideal place to be as you will spend so much and it be worth only a fraction of what you spent on it and not be much better for it, but in the 5K ballpark there isnt really much else that competes well by the time you factor in that including buying tyres, sorting suspension, new brakes, suspension refresh etc, which is something you are going to have to do on any car, and 90% plus of ones that you buy "already done" have been done, used, worn out, and need doing all over again.

I stand by my suggestion TBH :)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
He said he has around 5K, thats perfect for buying a good 172 and then getting it to a decent standard to go on track.

I agree that having 10-15 to spend on one is probably not an ideal place to be as you will spend so much and it be worth only a fraction of what you spent on it and not be much better for it, but in the 5K ballpark there isnt really much else that competes well by the time you factor in that including buying tyres, sorting suspension, new brakes, suspension refresh etc, which is something you are going to have to do on any car, and 90% plus of ones that you buy "already done" have been done, used, worn out, and need doing all over again.

I stand by my suggestion TBH :)

I guess you could build a decent 172 for £5k yeah, missed the budget btw! Ha!

A decent 172 is say £1500, wheels tyres and suspension another £1500. Giving £2k left for refreshes etc.

But my point really is that for a cheap track car they are great and fun and everything but to increase power, add a cage etc costs quite a lot compared to something like an mx5 or 106 gti.

It really depends on the kind if track car the op wants and a Clio is definitely worth considering but there are other options out there.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I agree with the MX5 but would need a Turbo as they are soo slow even I can over take them ;)

Or ITB Trophy ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I guess you could build a decent 172 for £5k yeah, missed the budget btw! Ha!

A decent 172 is say £1500, wheels tyres and suspension another £1500. Giving £2k left for refreshes etc.

But my point really is that for a cheap track car they are great and fun and everything but to increase power, add a cage etc costs quite a lot compared to something like an mx5 or 106 gti.

It really depends on the kind if track car the op wants and a Clio is definitely worth considering but there are other options out there.

Agreed lots of other options, and if you are trailering it not driving it a lot of the clios advantages in terms of economy and refinement etc start to become less relevant as well.
So very dependant on personal circumstances if its the best option, but certainly still a good option at least.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
After having a 318 myself I would stay clear, mine wasn't reliable at all and I can imagine it wouldn't be much fun on a track day, drift day maybe but all out track I think your other suggestions are far better.

In my opinion the mx5 or a 1*2 would both be very good choices, both have pro's and cons, I myself currently own a 182 but I am looking at buying an MX5 to run at the same time as I really want to try owning one for a while, one of my close friends has one and it is great fun.

I would probably go for a mk2 over a mk3 clio with that budget as you are more likely to find a tidier example with a recent belt change etc, also the consumables are much cheaper, 17's vs 16's tyre wise etc and I imagine the 197 brembo's are a bit more expensive for disks and pads than the usual 1*2 track set up although I could be totally wrong on that!

I know I haven't been much help there but I'm sure either will offer you the fun you are looking for.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Agreed lots of other options, and if you are trailering it not driving it a lot of the clios advantages in terms of economy and refinement etc start to become less relevant as well.
So very dependant on personal circumstances if its the best option, but certainly still a good option at least.

The economy of a Clio is very relevant but if only driving to the track I wouldn't really be bothered.

Another reason to go RWD is that you can then go on the awesome Oulton park drift days.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
LOL You going turbo or SC?

Well nothing yet, but longer term its between turbo and ITB's. I need to have a go in my friends turbo, which should be coming to bedford, if its working... that is.

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
Have a clio dci mk3 the 106 one as my everyday but would need the car to be on the road as trailer and place to keep it etc will add up

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Have you done a trackday in your '5 yet sbridgey ? when I eventually pick one up I fancy trying a track day and some drift days at oulton so was wondering what you think of it compared to your 172?

Ph1 track car, Dci
What ever you Buy, buy somthing already done, let some other mug waste thousends of pounds they will never get back on mods! And before anyone says, yes ive wasted loads in the past! Lol. Only downside is then you probably wont feel as attached but theres always tweaks you can do to make it your own.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Have you done a trackday in your '5 yet @sbridgey ? when I eventually pick one up I fancy trying a track day and some drift days at oulton so was wondering what you think of it compared to your 172?

Not yet, I cant wait though! on the road it feels much better than the Clio ever did, the steering feel, the seating position, the gear change, the sense of speed, its just better.

Did a drift day in my old car, a 328i, would recommend it to anyone, I learnt so much about car control, stuff I now need everyday.

172/B8 Quattro
A well set up mx5 like a jdm version like RS (standard with 6 spd box, higer redline, hotter cams, type 2 lsd) with a turbo on running around 250hp is a real weapon on track, and I mean set up well in the handling department too. LSD fitted, roll cage for chasis stiffness, adjustable drop links, uprated arbs f&r, and the rest etc. there will Not be a lot that will keep pace trust me.
Doing drift days is not for me.

If i didnt love my focus so much my next choice would be a 172 as chip says. mx5s without turbos or itbs should be banned from track days lol. they annoy me on every track day i go to. they are so flipping slow and are just a moving road block backing everyone up.too common as a track car in my opinion. dont kill me for this but if you done llandow regular you would understand

Ive currently got two Clios for sale that you may be interested in...

A more standard one with interior at the lower cash end...
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...enaultSport-Clio-172-in-Monaco-Blue-£1250ovno

Or this caged one at the higher end...
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...up-Track-Race-Car-£5-000&highlight=nick172cup

This one is slightly different in spec now as it comes with two seats instead of the one listed and without MSA gear.

Let me know if you're interested in either, send me a pm and ill give you my number.

Cheers
Nick

172/B8 Quattro
If i didnt love my focus so much my next choice would be a 172 as chip says. mx5s without turbos or itbs should be banned from track days lol. they annoy me on every track day i go to. they are so flipping slow and are just a moving road block backing everyone up.too common as a track car in my opinion. dont kill me for this but if you done llandow regular you would understand
Lol, I'm with you on that, however no problems at Cadwell with that issue (small nimble cars rule there)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Buy a cheap 172 .. £1500-2000.

Buy some sticky rubber .. £500.

Go have fun. See what you want to do next.

Frayz was running rings round everything in his standard 182 at Snetterton last year - the only thing different to how it left the factory was some RSR rubber.

Few people asked him what power he was running as they didn't believe him.

Daniel was also having a blast in a fairly standard 182 at Llandow a couple of years ago.

I ran a standard 182 on awful tyres at Bedford last year and it was an absolute hoot ! I'm used to much faster things on the road - I'm not coming from a 1.2...

Don't need to spend a fortune to have fun (as that AX vid shows!).

If you really decide you need 3x the power or RWD, sell the Clio for what you paid for it (or more!) and buy another car !

Bearing in mind you should probably budget £3-500 for each day you do too, the sums soon add up. Don't do what 99% of people do on here - buy a car, strip it, "track ready" it with thousands of pounds of mods and then never see a track !

Passat TDi
Buy a cheap 172 .. £1500-2000.

Buy some sticky rubber .. £500.

Go have fun. See what you want to do next.

Frayz was running rings round everything in his standard 182 at Snetterton last year - the only thing different to how it left the factory was some RSR rubber.

Few people asked him what power he was running as they didn't believe him.

@Daniel was also having a blast in a fairly standard 182 at Llandow a couple of years ago.

I ran a standard 182 on awful tyres at Bedford last year and it was an absolute hoot ! I'm used to much faster things on the road - I'm not coming from a 1.2...

Don't need to spend a fortune to have fun (as that AX vid shows!).

If you really decide you need 3x the power or RWD, sell the Clio for what you paid for it (or more!) and buy another car !

Bearing in mind you should probably budget £3-500 for each day you do too, the sums soon add up. Don't do what 99% of people do on here - buy a car, strip it, "track ready" it with thousands of pounds of mods and then never see a track !

This to be honest far to many 'track' cars never get to see the track because projects spiral out of the owners budget!

Clio Dci 106 dynamic
That vid makes me want an mx5 even more and can pick one up cheap anyone ever turbo'd one I know they did on mcm