ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

changing 172 dampers for 172 cup ones

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
rear dampers are gone so ordering 172 cup ones to replace them but fancy changing the fronts while im at it since the cars now 5 years old and coming up on 40k (also doing bottom arms, suspension top mounts, track rod ends etc)

was thinking of going for koni adjustables like i had on my last coilovered car which was impressive but the standard dampers seem more than upto the job anyway for fast road and track use (im running sportlines too)

so my question is, is there a noticeable gain from the cup dampers over the standard 172 dampers or should i go for the konis? i know the 172cup is ment to feel "different" to drive but its also a lighter car so could just be down to that or the wider track. so whats everyones thoughts?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Perhaps the diff is only marginal, but I know if I had the option I'd go for a Cup.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
well dont suggest them then...

no no, they are still an option but just not sure if they are really worth the extra, i dont like replacing things with something the same i prefer to go for something better so was going to go for the cup dampers as they are slightly better but if theres not really any noticeable difference then i was gonna go for the konis as they were great on my last car

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ok guys just fitted a set of 172 cup rear dampers to it, now before i say what i think about it keep in mind i was driving a 172 with a screwed rear damper and a completely screwed rear damper lol!!

the difference is night and day to what it is before, but also feels much better than it did when the dampers were fine (but still could have been a bit worn!) the rear suspension seems a good bit stiffer than the front which now makes me wonder is the front dampers starting to go or is this the way the're ment to be? think ill get a set of front ones now deffo

was looking at a megane 225 in the dealership today when i went to pick up my dampers, and said to the salesman ill speak to the bank and get back to him, but after the drive ive just had in the 172, no way!! 172/182's are awesome!! lol

Renaultsport Clio 182
i'm thinking of doing the same to my 182. it passed it's first MOT yesterday but the bloke said that there was a tiny leak in one of teh rear shockers so after a few months of saving i may get cup dapmers all round and some eibach springs (bank balance permitting of course)

i'm thinking of doing the same to my 182. it passed it's first MOT yesterday but the bloke said that there was a tiny leak in one of teh rear shockers so after a few months of saving i may get cup dapmers all round and some eibach springs (bank balance permitting of course)

I dont think you can get front cup dampers because the bolt spacing is slightly different

Are the dampers the same on the 172 as the 182?

and 172 cup and 182 cup?

Renaultsport Clio 182
when i said i'm thinking of getting Cup dampers i did mean 182 Cup dampers. i dont know if they're the same but i'll be doing my homework on the subject before i go and buy anything.

i was just enquring about the price as then i'll have a ball park figure to go on

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
182 non cup and cup dampers have different bolt spacing. so you cant use cup dampers on a non cup 182.

172 cup front dampers have the same bolt spacing as non cup.

on a not so good point after the hard testdrive i gave the car the exhaust fell off on the drive way haha was fine when i pulled in but when it cooled it fell off!