ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changin Clutch

has anyone done this on their own, going to have a go at weekend on my 172 Ph1, can it be done with the engine in or does it have to come out all together??? any help would be much appreciated :D

BMW M135i
Well i've done it with my 1.6 (was way before it needed it, long story) and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world because its a b*****d to get the gearbox off. But its nothing out of the ordinary for a fwd transverse mounted engine car.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
shafts out, starter motor off, subframe down, airbox off, battery out, gearbox engine mount off. lower engine down at gearbox end, slide off. Access to clutch.. as easy as that! LMAO..

As bmh said, thats a 1.6 16v though, wouldn't imagine much different though!

Best way to do it assuming you've no crane etc is to jack the car lower the subframe title the engine slight and pull the box off (shafts have to be disconnected obviously). On the phase 2 cars you can do it without moving the subframe if you've got small finger from what I remember.

PM me your email addres and I'll send you a file about this stuff on your car.

RenaultSport cup172 TT309
Havn't worked much on the Clio yet, fortunatally hasn't needed it. Changed the outer CV boot thats all,but you can rest assured that when reqd ill be there battered knuckles and all !
Good luck hope it goes alrite for ya.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i removed the gearbox mount and engine mount under the battery and dropped the subframe down on a trolley jack, isnt the easiest to get access to but its doable!

clutch2qd3.jpg

clutchev6.jpg

clutch1sh8.jpg

clutch3ea6.jpg

clutch4kd2.jpg

clutch5xz0.jpg

clutch6sl8.jpg

depends how lazy you are to drain and unplug everything.

Might be a tight squeeze doing it like that, but works fine enough.....i prefer doing the squeeze method.

Well end of day one and all i can say is Why the Foook did renault attatch the Steering Rack to the subframe (some yts design i think) i have never had so many bolts that are that fooookin tight the impact wrench could not take them off, so after 4 hours of trying to remove a few bolts the gearbox war ready to come off, 20 mins later out she comes :D now i am tired and pissed off but if any one wants theirs doing ill do it for £400 quid LMAO, putting a new gearbox to bellhousing gasket on tomorrow and torqing up the clutch plate n back together tomorro ill let u all know how my tourettes is :p