ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat to manifold still has a slight leak....

clio 182FF
So i had a thread a while back about my experiences with this problem. Had a blowing exhaust and as i thought it was the manifold to cat join.

I bought a manifold to cat kit off the K tec website and have fitted it. Now as far as i am aware there is little or no blowing when the engine is warm but when it is warming up im sure it does blow abit still. Looking underneath it also is leaking slighlty.

Can anyone explain to me why this would still be leaking and if so what is the fix?

If it helps i have some high temp silicone stuff but im not sure if it right to be putting it on this join as it may not take the movement well and also is it ok if sealed for this liquid to be going straight into the cat?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Not sure if k-tec have updated their cat fitting kits but I bought one from k-tec last year and the bolts were to short and the kit just didn't seem to fit properly. Replaced it with a kit from Renault and there was quite a big difference between the two kits.

Clio 197
I had the same blowing exhaust on my 182. I bought the kit from Renault though which worked fine. You could try some silicone. I doubt the liquid (which could be water from condensation, maybe petrol if you've been giving it the beans) will damage the CAT. Obviously there's not supposed to be a 'leak' so it'd be going in there anyway. When I had a CAT-Back exhaust fitted at a later date, the garage put a load of silicone at the join from the CAT to the centre box. It smelt of burning for a few days but I didn't have any problems after that. I'd try the silicone option before buying a kit from Renault personally.

clio 182FF
Not sure if k-tec have updated their cat fitting kits but I bought one from k-tec last year and the bolts were to short and the kit just didn't seem to fit properly. Replaced it with a kit from Renault and there was quite a big difference between the two kits.

Did you get it to fit or not? if so was there any problems once it was?

I managed to do mine fine, all seems to be well in terms of fitment. I was under the impression when buying from the K tec website that it was the official kit for some reason however it appears not to be which sucks abit!

clio 182FF
I had the same blowing exhaust on my 182. I bought the kit from Renault though which worked fine. You could try some silicone. I doubt the liquid (which could be water from condensation, maybe petrol if you've been giving it the beans) will damage the CAT. Obviously there's not supposed to be a 'leak' so it'd be going in there anyway. When I had a CAT-Back exhaust fitted at a later date, the garage put a load of silicone at the join from the CAT to the centre box. It smelt of burning for a few days but I didn't have any problems after that. I'd try the silicone option before buying a kit from Renault personally.

It only leaks when cold, i thought maybe all 182's could possibly do this as a measure to stop it going through the cat but then again you are right i doubt it would harm it and if it leaks then technically its blowing anyway whihc wouldnt make sense.

I also had a very small leak at the cat to centre section and i put silicone on that and that has worked perfectly!

I might do as you said and try the silicone then just not sure if it will seal easily being a flexible joint and if it will last.

Did you get it to fit or not? if so was there any problems once it was?

I managed to do mine fine, all seems to be well in terms of fitment. I was under the impression when buying from the K tec website that it was the official kit for some reason however it appears not to be which sucks abit!

Yeah I managed to get it to fit in the end but had to leave important washers off etc. Few months down the line one of the spring bolts failed and I had a blow from the join.