ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat 438 Camshafts

Haha I thought those bosses looked familiar! I miss my GTIR, if only for it's many amusing gearbox failures. Good parts robbing!! :)

LOL @ "good enough to get told off for"

Thousands of manhours and hundreds of thousands of pounds went into the design of my plenum, by nissan, its lifted off a pulsar gtir, lol
Seems to work ok though and just happened to fit well in the space, all we had to do was knock up a spacer to get a little more volume.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol yeah they do like to s**t out a gearbox or two, we got pretty quick at changing my mates, but finding them got a lot harder, we were going all over the country picking up secondhand ones till he got a PPG kit, lol

Cone filter out the bonnet? ;) Acquiring nearly suitable bits from other things is satisfying isn't it!

I still need to find time to graft something up with this:

plenum.jpg

One of our old S2000 plenums. It was good enough for 287bhp back in the day so it should go well once crammed into the engine bay of my cup.

I have some 30mm SF spacers spare if you can do the work without her noticing? It's winter so the lack of aircon won't be spotted for a while..... bonnet pins on the otherhand?

Here's a similar thing I did on my nova turbo engine:
engine-side-on.jpg

Plenum nicked off a ford RS200 this time, I like finding things that already work well rather than having to make them, im very lazy, ha ha

That time as I had more space I added some jenvey 50mm spacers to increase the runner length, worked really well.

We have an RS2 on our clio 172 that my mrs uses as a daily, I desperately want to bin the slam panel and aircon and increase the runner lengths as I know it would gain torque right through the rev range but sadly she has a point it would make it a bit of a s**t daily then compared to currently just for the sake of a few lbft of torque, lol

Lol yeah they do like to s**t out a gearbox or two, we got pretty quick at changing my mates, but finding them got a lot harder, we were going all over the country picking up secondhand ones till he got a PPG kit, lol

I had a Quaife close ratio kit in mine which solved the gear related failures but propogated a number of cracked gearbox casings instead LOL I've chilled out and gone off mega boost turbo engines as I've got older, I think it's because I've got less time to keep them or the gearboxes attached to them together these days ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cone filter out the bonnet? ;) Acquiring nearly suitable bits from other things is satisfying isn't it!

I still need to find time to graft something up with this:

plenum.jpg

One of our old S2000 plenums. It was good enough for 287bhp back in the day so it should go well once crammed into the engine bay of my cup.

Thats WAY beyond epic! Seen that pic before on here and it really does look a total work of art.

I have some 30mm SF spacers spare if you can do the work without her noticing? It's winter so the lack of aircon won't be spotted for a while..... bonnet pins on the otherhand?

LOL!

I think the real way to do would be deeper trumpets and an inch spacer between the plenum and the backplate so it increases the volume as well as the runner length, thats probably best left as one for another project that isnt a daily.

My most recent bit of "nicking from another car" is probably one you wont approve of though given your obviously love of renault engines.
I found this in a civic revving to 8500rpm on solid lifters and with a LSD box and thought it might fit in a mk1 clio bay:

994510ba.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had a Quaife close ratio kit in mine which solved the gear related failures but propogated a number of cracked gearbox casings instead LOL I've chilled out and gone off mega boost turbo engines as I've got older, I think it's because I've got less time to keep them or the gearboxes attached to them together these days ;)

Yeah Ive heard that the non straight cut kits on those can lead to a lot of side loadings that the standard casing cant take.

I know what you mean about turbo engines, I do love a bit of boost, but feck me its good at finding weak points. That nova engine I posted above cracked the bore walls on the block at 2.1 bar from a GT35R, nearly taking out my arrow rods and steel crank etc with it, its an expensive hobby when things break!

I really need to put some work into that S2000 plenum at some point as I have the carbon trumpets, backplate etc. all here waiting. Like your RS2 project, some day ;)

Don't mind the Honda into Clio plan at all! One of the chaps at Jabba is currently 20V'ing his Cup. I can confirm a 4G63 fits as well :) Keep the stock clocks in yours and see how far off the end the standard tach goes!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really need to put some work into that S2000 plenum at some point as I have the carbon trumpets, backplate etc. all here waiting. Like your RS2 project, some day ;)

Would fit well in a volvo or similar where the engine is spun around the other way I guess if not in a clio, lol

Don't mind the Honda into Clio plan at all! One of the chaps at Jabba is currently 20V'ing his Cup. I can confirm a 4G63 fits as well :) Keep the stock clocks in yours and see how far off the end the standard tach goes!

I did look at the vw engine but I dont like their boxes the rods are weak and they dont have lsds and worst of all they are on hydraulics so wont pull the revs. All stuff that can be sorted but the idea with the B18C4 lump is that I can whack a turbo on it and see the 220-240lbft and 300bhp ish that I want (looking for that elusive totally flat line again!) and if it goes wrong I just throw another standard engine in, rather than having to keep building one like I would with the audi lump.

Lol @ keeping the standard clocks, would be funny but Ive already got a race technologies dash 2 for it as it will work really well with the Autronic ECU Im using on it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bloody hell chip , you must have some dosh nicking parts of an RS200 !!

Lol, it wasnt that it was expensive, it was that it was hard to find.

I was round at a mate of mine's place and I spotted one on the side (he has a rs200 he is restoring) and the moment I spotted it I thought it was perfect for what I wanted, so I said to him "what car is that plenum off cause thats perfect for my car, I'll get down the scrapyard and have one off". That was when he pointed out it was off his RS200 :(

3 months or so later, I found a bloke who bought all the new-old stock from when they shut the project down, he had 27 of them in stock and sold me one for peanuts (100 quid+vat IIRC, lol)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Lucky you ! the last RS200 I saw was at this years Autosport auction and sold for £126,120....Ahh the glory days of rallying.

Sorry for the OT drift!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
anyway...................................clios, camshafts.............................

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
We have an RS2 on our clio 172 that my mrs uses as a daily, I desperately want to bin the slam panel and aircon and increase the runner lengths as I know it would gain torque right through the rev range but sadly she has a point it would make it a bit of a s**t daily then compared to currently just for the sake of a few lbft of torque, lol

I have all the parts for doing this exact thing now, just got to find the time to fit it all and get it mapped somewhere :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Joah, that should be interesting to see :)
What way are you doing it? longer trumpets and space out the plenum to clear them (and increase volume) or just spacers between the base manifold and the back plate?

P.S
you dont happen to know Richard Lewis do you if you are from Wantage? Owns Vale Garage?

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
its the manifold that was fitted to Nick172Cup's car which has the jenvey spacers between the manifold and backplate.

I know of him yes, think he knows my dad fairly well. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah cool, not as good as doing it the other way with longer trumpets and bigger volume plenum via a spacer I suspect TBH but still better than the standard rs2.

Small world!

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah should see some gains in torque over normal which would be nice, will have to see how much more room I have left to play with once the slam panels removed etc, my guess is not much :p

Indeed. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you use a short rad too, there is a fair bit more space.

think james still has more spacers in stock if you fancy adding a second set!

Think you may be pushed with another set of 50mm spacers Chip, this setup had the slam panel removed and slimline fan fitted to 172 Cup slim rad. Made over 3bhp more and 7lb/ft more torque than the standard length RS2 and that was still on the same map for the normal RS2, so always potential for extracting a bit more power/torque.

R26

Luke?

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
If you use a short rad too, there is a fair bit more space.

think james still has more spacers in stock if you fancy adding a second set!

Meh just wang a hole in the bonnet to fit ;)

Think you may be pushed with another set of 50mm spacers Chip, this setup had the slam panel removed and slimline fan fitted to 172 Cup slim rad. Made over 3bhp more and 7lb/ft more torque than the standard length RS2 and that was still on the same map for the normal RS2, so always potential for extracting a bit more power/torque.

Sorted myself out with a bonnet now with the catches so inlet wont be on the shelf much longer ;)