ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Lorraine rc5+ or Ds2500?

172 Cup
Ok so my Ds2500 are dead (see other thread) I was going to replace with another set of ds2500 but having seen the state of these I'm not so sure, I'm tempted by the RC5+ seems to be about the same price but from what ive read possibly a bit noisier and a bit more harmfull to wheels/paint than the ds2500 although its gets mostly positive reviews for stopping power.
Anybody used both types of pads and can give me your thoughts on which is best?
The car is a 172cup and is used on the roads as a weekend toy not a daily and a few trackdays a year (probably not enough trackdays to go to a more race pad like rc6/8 or ds3000/ds1.11though)

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
RC5+ are currently on offer on KTEC's website (you've probably already seen them but thought I'd mention it).
Planning on getting a set for mine before this years track days. As for a review, I can only comment on the DS2500 the same as you've got lol.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Are they really that bad on track?! The RC5 and more so the 6 are designated track pads aren't they? Hmm, may have to rethink my plans then... :/

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
From memory I would say dusty. The ferodo premier pads I have now are good, cheap too.
Ferodo premier? Not heard of those. Are they a track pad or fast road? I want something with good cold bite and low dust - was gonna get the Mintex M1144

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The ones @JB21 suggested a while back to me. Initially I wasn't keen but after a few miles they are great for how I drive on the road.

£22 ish

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_0909.PNG

172 Cup
If you only do a handful of track days a year then why not just use a separate set of pads & discs for that and keep standard pads for the road? I have OE pads & discs for the road and it's all the stopping power you need unless you're treating the roads like a track, which you shouldn't be.

For track I have grooved Brembo HC with RC6 pads and it's the best combination I've tried so far - including DS2500 (close 2nd), Mintex M1144 (s**t) and M1155 (eh..). Seeing as you should be inspecting your car (wheels / tyres / brakes especially) before a track day it's really not that much bother to swap them around the day before or even in the pits. Then you can fork out for decent pads and not burn through them unnecessarily on the roads.

172 Cup
If you only do a handful of track days a year then why not just use a separate set of pads & discs for that and keep standard pads for the road? I have OE pads & discs for the road and it's all the stopping power you need unless you're treating the roads like a track, which you shouldn't be.

For track I have grooved Brembo HC with RC6 pads and it's the best combination I've tried so far - including DS2500 (close 2nd), Mintex M1144 (s**t) and M1155 (eh..). Seeing as you should be inspecting your car (wheels / tyres / brakes especially) before a track day it's really not that much bother to swap them around the day before or even in the pits. Then you can fork out for decent pads and not burn through them unnecessarily on the roads.
You make a good point and it is somthing I have been considering, I don't drive fast enough on the road to need the extra stopping power (as you said if you are then you shouldn't be) however I don't do a lot of road miles maybe 2-3000 a year so I shouldn't really burn through them on the road either.

172 Cup
That's fair. If you can handle the squealing of track pads on the road (it drives me nuts but I do >15,000mi/year) then the CL pads have really good cold performance - especially compared to the DS2500/DS3000. I have been meaning to try DS1.11 as they're supposed to be very good at low temps too.. it's just the CL are so good that I haven't really bothered. :grin: