ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car holding back when hot

clio 172 ph2
as title says. sometimes struggles to start when hot too. could it be crank sensor on way out?
no faults on rs tunner

Fiesta ST2 MP215
does it rev all the way to 7200? if it's a sensor I believe they put it into limp mode so it should limit at around 3.5-4k.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
By holding back do you mean down on power? Reluctant to start?

All of mine have taken a bit longer to restart when hot, can be worrying at first but I've put it down as just being a trait!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Best bet as I say for these issues is to check the leads and pack, they are all getting old and brittle now suffering all sorts of extreme temps over the years they will not last forever. get a circuit tester on them and I bet the leads are knackered or the pack will be.

Failing to start and struggling to start are two different things, Failing to start when hot to me signals low compression ( needs a test ), struggling to start i'd look at leads, alternator not functioning or the battery not charging enough.

Mine doesn't miss a beat hot or cold ( at the moment ) but I have changed everything consumable on the car this month.

clio 172 ph2
By holding back do you mean down on power? Reluctant to start?

All of mine have taken a bit longer to restart when hot, can be worrying at first but I've put it down as just being a trait!

yes feels like its down on power ever so slightly and car starts but it just starts and no more. if its cold it fires right in to life if you know what i mean! the hot weather seems to make it worse.

i had the car up to temp tonight then parked for a couple of hours. when i started it up again it was still just starting and no more. as i said it only seems to be in hotter weather. new plugs and leads fitted recently, coil pack was replaced last year. had new thermostat fitted last week and full service ect ect.

think im going to start changing sensors to try and narrow it down. is the crank 1 next to the oil cap?

182ff
crank sensor is under the airbox where the engine and gearbox joins,held in with 2 x 10mm bolts,just cleaning this may help starting problems.

clio 172 ph2
car still acting up a little. i have changed the crank sensor and water temp sensor and its still the same. could it be anything to do with the senors on the inlet as they look like the've got oil inside them from the breather?