ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car feels like its on ice all the time...loose steering?

Hi all

Just had enough of this damn car every week its a new problem -.-
it's a 1.2 16v clio (2004)

Got a pretty big problem in that when driving the car just doesn't feel right, kind of feels like its floating or your driving on ice.
At low speeds <30mph it seems fine but at motorway speeds the car feels very 'floaty' also when i turn, the car starts to turn normally then sometimes it almost feels like its going to spin (when your holding the steering to the left or right to get through a bend), the steering goes all light and you have to counter steer. Its getting pretty scary to drive! the steering also feels alot lighter than usual... the tyres all have good tread on them, the rear shocks are not leaking either.

also when i move the steering quickly when stationary there is a distinct knocking sound, same sound is heard when you go over bumps

had the alignment done and at the same time all the track rod ends etc got checked and according to garage its all fine, checked myself and it all seems fine no real play in the wheels.

Very much feels like something is loose but cant imagine what -.-

any help greatly appreciated

172 + 350z
My rear shocks also went on the rear and did not corner at all properly. Hard to describe but was hopping about, basically compressing right down under any load.

Sounds a lot like knackered track rod symptoms to me.

track rods seem fine no movement / play just annoying since i paid £20 for a alignment a few days ago -.-
i guess its worth changing them since they are cheap will do it after i remove the rear shocks to check if they compress properly

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
First things first - what is the only thing contacting the ground ?

That's right... tyres.

What tyres are you running ? How old are they ? What condition are they in ?

Are the pressures correct given it's now ~3C outside and you probably last checked them (if at all) when it was 25C in the summer... (refer to GCSE physics homework if you don't understand why).

Assuming you're running brand new premium brand tyres which you set to the correct pressure yesterday, check the rear shocks for leaks / total failure.

If they're totally perfect and/or brand new .. report back....

[I'm also assuming you on standard wheels not some hilarious 19s or anything stupid ?]