ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car broken down

172 with k-tec sound
hi guys my cars broken down was driving along was coming upto a roundabout and car started to make a funny noise sounded like a grating noise car then stalled graund to a halt and wouldnt re start car turns over but wont fire no warning lights on dash no falt coads stored any ideas any body car has been recoverd and gone to dealers as is under warranty

172 with k-tec sound
well spoke to garage and there saying cambelt is still on flywheel only got part ov cover off but they r pretty sure its not that

172 with k-tec sound
yeeah wat a releaf its the timing out thank god can any one tell me if this has happend to any one else

172 with k-tec sound
Considering they are opposite sides of the engine I would say so! LOL!
ok mate have you heard of timing to cause a clio to just stop running was turning over but not fireing as in my post u can see i was driving it and it just cut out n wouldnt start again cos garage are sayin its the timing and just need a gun or somthing to sort it thanx

172 with k-tec sound
May I suggest you take it to another garage lol

If the timing is out then it may have jumped but there's still a chance of bending valves
cheers have u heard of it causing a car to just cut out then not re start like i say it was just turning over but not starting

172 with k-tec sound
Sounds like the timing belts snapped. Get it looked into by a proper garage!
well iv taken it to perrys thats were i bought it from its under warranty and they rung and said cambelt was fine and it was just the timing out confused now would it cause one not to start

Mk2 1.2 Campus
ok mate have you heard of timing to cause a clio to just stop running was turning over but not fireing as in my post u can see i was driving it and it just cut out n wouldnt start again cos garage are sayin its the timing and just need a gun or somthing to sort it thanx

Pretty sure you would only use a gun for a car with a dizzy.

172 with k-tec sound
If the belt is on the I'd try a compression test
ok cheers sorry to be thick but im new to this car not had her long would normaly ask da as hes my wifes brother but hes on his hols at mo so what will a compression test show never had probs with my 1.2 so never botherd with tech stuff lol

Sounds like the timing belt has snapped mate. This is exactly what happened to mine going up the motorway, just lost power, engine stalled and turned over but wouldnt start.

172 with k-tec sound
Sounds like the timing belt has snapped mate. This is exactly what happened to mine going up the motorway, just lost power, engine stalled and turned over but wouldnt start.
cheers mate ouch did it do much damage they are saying belt is fine but timing is out

cheers mate ouch did it do much damage they are saying belt is fine but timing is out

Bent all my valves and busted the pistons and everything that entails with that. Had to replace the lot, skim the head etc. Got it done on the cheap for £400 though which wasn't too bad.

Hope it isnt this though although if the timing is out, you could still end up with bent valves

172 with k-tec sound
Bent all my valves and busted the pistons and everything that entails with that. Had to replace the lot, skim the head etc. Got it done on the cheap for £400 though which wasn't too bad.

Hope it isnt this though although if the timing is out, you could still end up with bent valves
oh very nasty thats a good price tho glad you got it sorted yeah i know wich is worrying altho with it been under warranty they l sort it i hope

172 with k-tec sound
just wanting to know how long does it roughtly take if any thing is damaged as we have a child with special problems that goes to alot of appointments etc

RS 172+
Cheaper than new belts LOL!

Mk2 1.2 Campus
just wanting to know how long does it roughtly take if any thing is damaged as we have a child with special problems that goes to alot of appointments etc

Could vary, depends if it's covered under a warranty, the warranty company might be difficult.

if the belt is on then a compression test will show if any of the valves are bent and on which cylinder. You plug it in where your spark plug goes and turn it over, if there's no compression then it's bad news.

Not sure what it should be but a garage will be able check

172 with k-tec sound
Could vary, depends if it's covered under a warranty, the warranty company might be difficult.

if the belt is on then a compression test will show if any of the valves are bent and on which cylinder. You plug it in where your spark plug goes and turn it over, if there's no compression then it's bad news.

Not sure what it should be but a garage will be able check
ok mate cheers so the bad news would be need new engine then i suppose:(

Nissan 350z
Hi carl,

It sounds like your being dicked around mate. Personally id take it to an independant garage via a rented trailer or recovery truck who knows what they are talking about. Do not go straight to the warrenty garage as they will try everything to avoid paying out on expensive work. And do not just take it to the closest garage your car got toed to as they know your in a vulnerable situation and probably take advantage as well.

Can you imagine 1 month down the line after a bodge job: "well you drove it away from us and now its broken again, its your fault" etc.

If your belt really has snapped like it sounds then get a full itemised list of the work that needs doing by the independant garage before approaching the warrenty people. Then once the work has been done under warrenty take it back to the same garage for an inspection.

Sure this way will be more pricey but you will avoid any bodge jobs to get you outside of the warrenty period!

Good luck!

172 with k-tec sound
Hi carl,

It sounds like your being dicked around mate. Personally id take it to an independant garage via a rented trailer or recovery truck who knows what they are talking about. Do not go straight to the warrenty garage as they will try everything to avoid paying out on expensive work. And do not just take it to the closest garage your car got toed to as they know your in a vulnerable situation and probably take advantage as well.

Can you imagine 1 month down the line after a bodge job: "well you drove it away from us and now its broken again, its your fault" etc.

If your belt really has snapped like it sounds then get a full itemised list of the work that needs doing by the independant garage before approaching the warrenty people. Then once the work has been done under warrenty take it back to the same garage for an inspection.

Sure this way will be more pricey but you will avoid any bodge jobs to get you outside of the warrenty period!

Good luck!
hi mate thanx for your reply perrys are saying timin is out dunno wat to belive at mo if im honest so fed up theyv checked cambelt say thats fine not snapped timmin is out they still have her iv only had this car 10 or so weeks its had a few probs but this is the worst as u will of read tho she just cut out on me and would not re fire but would turn over i got a good friend to tow me to perrys wondering if he may sort it instead he is a mecanic think thats how u spell it lol

172 with k-tec sound
hi mate thanx for your reply perrys are saying timin is out dunno wat to belive at mo if im honest so fed up theyv checked cambelt say thats fine not snapped timmin is out they still have her iv only had this car 10 or so weeks its had a few probs but this is the worst as u will of read tho she just cut out on me and would not re fire but would turn over i got a good friend to tow me to perrys wondering if he may sort it instead he is a mecanic think thats how u spell it lol
also fully understand what your saying about bodge up jobs

Skoda Fabia vRS
so when they said the timing was out, i presume they are fixing this today and you should have your car back ?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i'm surpised you haven't made a plea for a local clio guru to go down the garage with you and check it out (there must be someone on here)... i expect its sat in the corner whilst they try and come up with a cheap fix or a way to get out of it all together. someone help the guy out.