ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I assume the thermostat is dead?

So recently I noticed my car isn't getting up to temp that much. Always used to warm up to halfway on the gauge and sit there regardless of what i did to it.

Recently though it's fluctuating like motherhubard. I first noticed the other day went on the motorway and after 100miles it still wasn't up to half way and after going through so pretty heavy rain it had cooled even more.
Fuel efficiency is def worse as well. will get up to temo in traffic but cool again once moving.

Got to be the thermostat right? Having just thought it all out I'm 95% sure.

Damage from renault anyone? this is for the 1.2 16v bus btw

Lots of Alfas
Its probably the temp sensor, id try changing that first. Also when was the last time the system was bled and changed?

Was flushed and changed in the summer mate. See, I was thinking temp sensor but it's the def drop in econamy that's got me thinking. I mean if I drive with the heater on I can practically watch the temp drop lol.

Right, well for thread completion, changed the thermostat this morning. (in the freezing wind and rain) and has done the trick. Roasty toasty now.

Thermo was £21 from renault.

ValverInBits
Why does everyone keep on suggesting the temperature sensors for these? It's definitely the thermostat, especially if the temperature gauge is reacting to conditions like rain where there is extra cooling.

Drop in economy comes from the engine running richer becuase it's cold.