ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault clio 1998 1.2 8v overheating for no obvious reason?!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Good evening everyone.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem for me, I have a Renault Clio phase 1, 1.2 8v, S reg, only done 66,000 with a full stamped book (picked it up for only £150!!) Its been fine until recently, it's started to overheat, or at least I think that's what it's doing...it raises to the bar shown in the picture, I wouldn't know if it goes any further as will switch the heaters on full to cool it down, it will then lower the temp to directly in the middle of the gauge and it will stay there with the blowers on full blast. The fan does kick in and I've checked the thermostat and there is no leaks, no mayo in the oil cap or oil in the coolant and there is plenty of anti freeze in along with the expansion tank being at max. Really not sure what's wrong?! I left it to do Its thing the other day and just overheat, it went slightly past that line in the picture then stayed with the radiator fan on full blast, now I've been left with an extremely tappy engine! I'm baffled ladies and gents, can someone please assist! ? I should add, in normal driving, even hard driving the temp stays fine, it's only sitting in traffic or at a standstill that does it.
20180708_170056.jpg

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My old phase 1 1.2 8v use to do exactly the same as yours appears to be doing, absolutely fine when driving, then when in traffic or idling for a while gauge would creep up and the fan would kick in probably just above the level show in your photo and temp would go back to normal level. Never caused me any issues in the nearly 2 years I had it and 40k I did in it, so hopefully it’s just how they are.

The only time the temperature sat above the normal driving temperature level on the gauge was when my the water pump was failing, but the failed pump soon became obvious when the majority of the coolant drained out of the pump itself when I parked up one day.

I was going to suggest that your radiator might be blocked up and need flushing through (repeatedly, in both directions) to remove any crap that's built up in it, but if you do decide to drain the system down to do it, you might as well do the water pump as well!

Although that would then mean doing the cambelt... and you might as well change the thermostat while it's all apart... and give it an oil and filter service... lol

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Thank you for your quick replies chaps really appreciated! In response to yourself clio_ross it seems to follow the same process as yours however when the fan kicks in the temp doesn't go back to normal, it sits between those two dots, then once it gets there the fan kicks off and then it raises the temp again! After it does this a few times it will just sit at the temp in the picture, if that's makes sense? To link you in here white16valver do you think flushing the radiator will solve this or am I looking at something different?
Thanks in advance, sorry for being a pain!

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sounds like the fan isn’t kicking in for long enough to bring the temp back down to the normal running temp on the gauge, however, that doesn’t mean it’s not normal nor does it mean it’s not working right as it still seems to be keeping the engine from over heating and I can’t remember if mines actually did the same as it was 13 years ago I had my phase 1 ?. Hopefully somebody will be able to confirm if this normal behaviour.

I don’t see any harm in doing a coolant flush, would atleast rule out any issues with coolant and give you an idea of the health of the coolant system.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Well it is a quirky little French car, maybe that's just one of its 'features' ? I think I shall have a trip to euro car parts on the weekend and do a flush/thermostat and all that fun stuff. At least i know someone else has experienced my troubles it's rather reassuring!
Cheers for the input buddy!

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Temp does creep up in traffic as mentioned. Thermostats are cheap. Could always replace thermostat and coolant with genuine coolant for peace of mind! I miss my old 8v clio :(

Start with the cheap things first - drain, good flush through in each direction, new thermostat, new coolant - then move on to the more expensive things, I reckon!

Mind you, if you are handy with the tools and are doing the work anyway, rads are at least fairly easy to change, so it could be worth pricing one up.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Start with the cheap things first - drain, good flush through in each direction, new thermostat, new coolant - then move on to the more expensive things, I reckon!

Mind you, if you are handy with the tools and are doing the work anyway, rads are at least fairly easy to change, so it could be worth pricing one up.

Decided to do as you say, gonna change the coolant, and thermostat and give the radiator a swill out, I'm semi component on the tools, this is my third car and they have all been French so I've learnt a fair bit as I've gone along ? gonna sound a daft question but will taking the radiator out and sticking a hose pipe or pressure washer in the ends sort it out? Also as a related question any idea what coolant I need, popped to ECP on my dinner break and the chap informed me there are multiple colours?
Again, really appreciate the help!

Give the local Renault garage a call - IIRC fluids really aren't that expensive from Renault StDealers, I used to get 5 litres of Elf Excellium 5w40 for about £20, which I thought was very reasonable.

The hosepipe thing should work pretty well, I reckon, but flushing both ways several times over should help dislodge any sludge. You could also consider using a Rad Flush - I've not used one myself but Amazon seems to have decent reviews on this, plus it's cheap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004PZPTAW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Give the local Renault garage a call - IIRC fluids really aren't that expensive from Renault StDealers, I used to get 5 litres of Elf Excellium 5w40 for about £20, which I thought was very reasonable.

The hosepipe thing should work pretty well, I reckon, but flushing both ways several times over should help dislodge any sludge. You could also consider using a Rad Flush - I've not used one myself but Amazon seems to have decent reviews on this, plus it's cheap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004PZPTAW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I didn't even think of calling Renault! at least one of us has our heads screwed on properly ? brought the coolant and a thermostat and a flush should be at my door by the end of the week, so il see if it works. I don't know weather it would be worth taking some pictures and putting a guide up to help anyone else as I couldn't find anything on here telling me how ?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if the fan coming on isnt bringing the temperature down I would say the issue is the efficiency of the radiator so either its got an air lock, sludge or possibly the fins are badly damaged and not enough air flow getting through.

I would flush it and put fresh coolant in and bleed if the radiator looks in good condition.