ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Call of Duty 2

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Only installed it so far - not actually tried it. From what I can recall, its the first game I've seen that has the graphics option for 'Optimise for SLi boards'. It would be interesting to see what your dual 7800GTX PCs make of this one, Lee. :cool:

D.

I played the demo the other week, and it is VERY intensive. More so than F.E.A.R. and that requires some serious horsepower.

Lee

BMW M2C
I ran it on my PC here earlier, it was fine on an XP 64 3200 with a 6800GT and 1.5gb RAM. Also running XP 64 so the drivers are poor.

I tried the demo on one of the Alienware machines a few weeks back. Full everything and it didn't even flinch, it did crash though!! lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lee said:
I ran it on my PC here earlier, it was fine on an XP 64 3200 with a 6800GT and 1.5gb RAM. Also running XP 64 so the drivers are poor.

I tried the demo on one of the Alienware machines a few weeks back. Full everything and it didn't even flinch, it did crash though!! lol

Lucky git - even if it did bomb out...! ;)

D.

Mazda MX5 1.8
fcuking postman didnt bring mine this morning! pre-ordered it ages ago...... oh well aint finished GTA: SA yet!!

Yaris Hybrid
How does it play compared to the first game as I don't really want more of the same but with better graphics?

I found the original started off great as you were fighting alongside a squad (shame you couldn't control them) but then half way through it started to go into that childish and stupid medal of honour style one man army type situations that is really getting boring and old hat in FPS's now.

Seems like a great game so far, but I will leave it until I've upgraded. With good levels of AA & AF, and with Vsync on @ 1280x1024, it just doesnt run smooth enough for me on high settings. Definitely upgrade time.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Toypop said:
How does it play compared to the first game as I don't really want more of the same but with better graphics?

I found the original started off great as you were fighting alongside a squad (shame you couldn't control them) but then half way through it started to go into that childish and stupid medal of honour style one man army type situations that is really getting boring and old hat in FPS's now.

I could run the original one no problems at all m8. However, the follow-up is definitely a step-up in spec requirements. Roy, that bit near the start where you prepare for the German counter-attack - I'm not kidding, I was easily on sub 5fps on that initially. It bogged down so much..... :(

Heavily scripted, but it is good.

D.

Whats your spec mate? I'm running P4 3.0 (@3.2) 2GB RAM, 6800Ultra and my machine wont run it to my fussy requirements. The time has come for me to upgrade - new everything. 7800GTX setup for sure. Then a replay of F.E.A.R will be in order :approve:

Actually I suspect my CPU could be the main culprit in Cod2 - there is some serious particle stuff going on in the gunfights. I reckon my procesor is falling to it's knees trying to get the info to my graphics card fast enough.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Roy Munson said:
Whats your spec mate? I'm running P4 3.0 (@3.2) 2GB RAM, 6800Ultra and my machine wont run it to my fussy requirements. The time has come for me to upgrade - new everything. 7800GTX setup for sure. Then a replay of F.E.A.R will be in order :approve:

Actually I suspect my CPU could be the main culprit in Cod2 - there is some serious particle stuff going on in the gunfights. I reckon my procesor is falling to it's knees trying to get the info to my graphics card fast enough.

Roy - mine's the following MSI mobo, m8....

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta-ILSR

With the 3200+XP CPU fitted, Radeon 9800Pro and 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200 memory. Runs most things fine - Battlefield 2, GTR, etc - but CoD2 just dies on my PC. Unless there's some optimisation patch or I upgrade, I'm not going to bother with it...

D.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Roy Munson said:

Wanna sell me ur 6800 ultra?

The 9800Pro is a legend of a card, but it's old technology now mate I'm afraid. You could upgrade to an X800 or 6800 class card and stick with AGP. or you could go the 7800 route if you can be bothered with all that entails. With your spec you will get VERY good gains by upgrading to a 6800 class card, also another 512 of RAM wouldnt hurt. You wont be able to go higher unless you get a PCI-E motherboard.

There isnt any magic patch that will help you beyond tweaking a few settings and making sure you have the laset drivers for you card.

Clart said:
Wanna sell me ur 6800 ultra?

I wouldnt mate, it currently sounds like its pumping gravel through its fan so that wouldnt be fair on you. My machine is due a clean-out though...could just be huge amounts of dust in there.

Lee

BMW M2C
The latest 32 bit nVidia drivers aren't great, the 78 series seem better than the 81s.

The 64 bit version however gained me 700 3DMarks!!!! But I guess that goes to show just how f**king piss pour the 64 bit XP drivers are at the moment when they can make gains like that.

Mazda MX5 1.8
been playing it over the weekend and tbh im disapointed

im not sure what i expected but it just seems a bit boring.
good game graphically....... just the content isnt anything i havent played before.

guess im just too used to playing WWII games

clio__chris said:
been playing it over the weekend and tbh im disapointed

im not sure what i expected but it just seems a bit boring.
good game graphically....... just the content isnt anything i havent played before.

guess im just too used to playing WWII games

I agree, I played all the MoH stuff, and also CoD...there are only so many germans you can shoot/blow up before it gets boring.

Lee

BMW M2C
CoD 2, just like the first one, is all about high production values, the game itself is very basic compared to most FPS.

Almost finished F.E.A.R. Now do I play CoD 2, Quake 4, finish Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil or install GT Legends. I think it's going to be GTL.

I'm stuck in Q4 :(

Finished F.E.A.R. some time ago though and utterly loved it. Definitely my gaming highlight since Half-Life 2.