ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper removal clio 172 cup

Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi all,

I'm changing my brakes on my clio and gotten as far as the caliper being seized and needing removal, so that I can see if it can be repaired or whether a new one is needed.

That's all that's left to remove is the handbrake cable from the bottom and what I'm assuming is the brake line on the top. Can I remove both of these without having to worry about slackening the cable/draining like the brake fluid?

I tried to take off the brake line but when turned with a wrench, the whole thing would rotate and didn't want to put too much force as it looks quite fragile.

Also to refurb/repair the caliper, is it just new seals? Does the piston just pop out?

Thanks!

RB 182
Sounds like the brake pipe end is seized onto thepipe itself

Don't keep turning it or you'll twist the metal brake pipe. I had the exact same thing today, I just worked it abit at a time, once I got abit of movement, I just kept dousing it in WD40. Eventually it turned without turning the pipe.

Before I disconnected the brake pipe however, I pushed and held the brake pedal down, using a bar - this stops the fluid draining as if now, it'll eventually drip until it's drained which you don't want!

Suzuki Swift Sport
Thanks for the reply! I eventually dug in and had a go. Did the brake pipe the same way, bit at a time and it eventually came.

I didn't do anything with brake pedal, but I saw someone else had used a latex glove with elastic bands to seal the brake pipe and stop it dripping. Seems to have worked so far though I'm not sure how corrosive brake fluid is!

Both calipers out and ready to send off. One of the handbrake cables was a PITA though, had to cut it and the caliper end is seized into the caliper and won't budge. I'm hoping bigg red will be able to remove for me.

Pop the caliper in a vice and knock the handbrake cable end through it.

Presumably Big Redd loosen the nipples off calipers before refurbing them, as you'd hate to get them back and have bad luck shearing them.

If you've left the glove on the end, it's probably melted through it by now.

Obviously ensure you bleed the system. Although if I was you, I'd have used this as an ideal oppurtunity to have drained the fluid fully and replaced it with new.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Thanks ilovewilly (funny stuff!). I've sent it and rung them to check if they can remove. It was solid, wouldn't budge! See what they say....

I've ordered fresh fluid to flush the lot anyway, if I didn't have to order handbrake cables too, I'd get some braided lines, but this is already costing a sh(i)tload just to have an operational handbrake!

Suzuki Swift Sport
Arrghhhh I wish I could afford it! Booking trip to Italy this week so can't risk another spend! I'll need new front tyres too in the next couple weeks.....