ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Clio

Well thats it, I am now Clioless. Handed my clio over to arnold clark today as part exchange on my new car. Am going to miss it, was a lovely car, just drank too much petrol and too unreliable. Got my Grande Punto now tho and really happy with it!

fiat_126_roadster_side.jpg

the clio was unreliable..............

so you bought a FIAT (FIX IT AGAIN TOMORROW!) :S

Chocolate Bar™
in fairness they really arent that bad. in my experience ive had no problems with my renault, and my punto only had problems associated with wear and tear. if you get it and look after it you should have trouble free motoring - altho it will rattle like a biatch.

lol at Fix it again tomorrow. I know they arent the greatest when they get older, but its new with 3 year warranty so if anything goes wrong i'm covered. It wasnt just the reliability issues, I was spending too much on petrol, and was going to have to put it back to standard to get a reasonable inusrnace premium. Buying the new punto is saving me money on a month to month basis and on servicing, tax etc. All in all it was the best financial option, helped by the deal the dealer did for me! Its on a hir purchase scheme, they bought the clio off me for more than its worth and paying my first years insurance. Couldnt argue with that!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
hire purchase... so the car isnt yours, so your renting it.. so your not saving any money in the end at all :S

no i am buying the car, 42payments and a balloon payment at the end OR hand the car back at the end of the term and no further payments.

Peperami said:
Which clio was it?

My cup gets 28 round town, and 35+ on the motorway, and i redline lots...

1,6 8v. Was crap on fuel economy, but i also booted it lots, and do lots of short trips because of work.

fat 182
i think the new punto is the best look small car on the road at the moment

if only there hot version was better

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
theduckeatspork said:
no i am buying the car, 42payments and a balloon payment at the end OR hand the car back at the end of the term and no further payments.

and i cringe at that sorry dude... good luck

nice car tho :)

M2 Competition
Might have been better with a loan, as until you've made that balloon payment, the car isnt yours. If you miss a payment, you lose the car, and any previous payments.

Loan may have been cheaper too!

But nice car fella. Lol at the rattles comments, its a new car, and you've come from a clio, it'll be fine!

Thank you for your concerns regarding my financing the car, but I looked into ALL options and this was the best option for me. Especially as I intend to hand the car back after the 3 years.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
theduckeatspork said:
Thank you for your concerns regarding my financing the car, but I looked into ALL options and this was the best option for me. Especially as I intend to hand the car back after the 3 years.

Stick to your guns mate, if ts the best option for you, then its all gravy, whats good for one isn't always good for another...

Chocolate Bar™
mines on HP - probably the best decision ive made in ages. have to miss 3 payments in a row and not contact them before they can take a court injunction to have the car removed from your possession - so the same as if you had a loan. as the cars legally theres, there is less risk, so you get a much better APR deal, especially so if your young with no real credit history like myself. i opted for straight payments and no balloon, but if you dont want the car for longer than 3 years and fancy just chucking it in then it can make sense based on the APR charged, and the likely condition of the vehicle.

the other benefit i experienced, is that if theres a serious fault you give the car back to your HP company citing its not as described and they get you a new one off the dealer, or refund your payments to date. for me, this involved them taking up an issue of faulty seats and getting the dealer into court for me.

think its a bit overrated to say hes silly for having HP, as for me a bank loan would have worked out loads more expensive, and doesnt really give you anything.

Octavia VRS
Nice one mate, happy with what you got for the Clio? These new Puntos are good looking cars, what spec is it?

_Kenny_ said:
Nice one mate, happy with what you got for the Clio? These new Puntos are good looking cars, what spec is it?

VERY happy with what i got for the clio

Is a 1.3 16v multijet in active trim. Not the highest spec'd car in the world, but enough for me :)

Chocolate Bar™
good mpg on them if the brochures can be believed. i looked at the sporting 1.9TDI which looked nice and that, but wasnt what i was looking for in all honesty lol

Easily mapped to much higher outputs. Mines staying standard for time being, but a remap may be in the pipeline eventually. 30bhp and 40lb/ft for £350 :D

mk1 RSi
nice cars imo. look quite classy. front end looks austin martin like i think. didnt that engine you have win awards for best engine of the year or something?

should have waited for the abarth tho 2.0l turbo gonna be a serious weapon.

puntor-front-b.gif

Last edited:
good luck stu...........................u didn't come out much before , now we'll never see you at all :rasp:

Trophy No. 440
It doesn't matter what deal you do, there's always someone who knows better........

Good Luck to the Duck, I say :D

Clio 172 mk2
theduckeatspork said:
1,6 8v. Was crap on fuel economy, but i also booted it lots, and do lots of short trips because of work.

My gfs 1.2 is pretty bad in fuel too....I probably get better mpg in my 172

Good luck with the new car:D