ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Clio...Concearned

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Hi everyone, I looked at a Mk1 172 today wth 59k on it. It doesn't seem to be a bad car but has a 'chipped and mapped' ecu. Im familiar with re-mapping cars but doing it on the standard ECU on the 172? is this common? The guy selling has no receipts for the work but says its 200bhp-ish? Im not a fan of figures really, Im only after a standard car.

It's the only 172 I've driven but felt a bit flat? Due to the re-map perhaps? My friends Williams 2 feels 'Torquey' as a passenger, what're youre opinions? Do the two cars feel the same, or at least, should they?

It has a snapped spring also, the bottom coil on the N/S/F. What else is common to go on them? Its had new rear dampers and a stainless exhaust.

Many thanks,

Tom

Golf R/Leon FR
personally i wouldnt but it if your looking for a pretty standard one. plus he has no reciepts for the remap and chipping.

they shouldnt feel flat, mine certainly doesnt. quite torquey, in the lower gears.
never heard of a rear snapped spring as a common problem, although rear shocks tend to go.
other things to check are is service history and that its had a cam belt change.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
... if all else fails, check ben_p's in the for sale section :D

hehe, as garf said they shouldnt feel flat, roar like mother nature, bags of torque..

Golf R/Leon FR
thats what i was thinking, have a look at ben_p's in the for sale section, is a minter, and by all accounts very fast.

recognise your username from the peugeot / rallye forums?

it 98% wont be 200bhp..

go test drive another.. shouldnt feel flat! especially after 5k.