ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

You doing Silverstone Tony? If so I'll pop up and give you a hand/make tea haha.

Also, do you still need the wheels doing?

182cup & 172 racecar
Silverstone entry is in.

Funny that, I'm just to do the wheels now, they are not too bad this time, must be the shorter races. Yes Pop along, it's on the 27th April.

182cup & 172 racecar
Part # has changed to 8200208420 protector. bin 11020 all the info you need. Mine took 4 days to arrive. Fits the same as the plastic one.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Right here we go.

The start of 2013 season. New series. FRENCH TROPHY sponsored by PFC magazine.

Decided to go up Fri eve, so as not to rush about in the morning. Bloomin heck it was cold and frikken windy!!

Anyway, got a place to set up camp, but so many people come over to talk to you, and say hello, welcome to the series etc, it took me about 3hrs to get the car off the trailer etc,etc. By this time it was pitch black, so that was it.

Sat.
After not much sleep (2hrs):(, due to wind rocking the van all night and me actually being a little nervous lol. Mr Nick say's eta 20mins.

After the little test on Monday, and the car being very twitchy, I decided to lower the car all round, so while the wheels were being changed, I wound everything down 2 turns,(it might work?).
2013RockinghamNipponPaddock20_zpsfadcb83e.jpg

Car flew through scrutieering and off we go to qualifying and noise check. A massive queue had formed and unbeknown to me our session had already started.

'Your cars too loud mate, 106.4db!!', well it was only 97 on Monday, ' alright I'll try again, 102?'. During all this, I missed 2-3 laps ffs.
Luckily came onto the circuit right behind Ian Collins, a fellow TT Clio, so tagged onto the back of him the best I could seeming I had cold tyres, I knew he would be one to watch in the race, so just tried to match him for pace. Blink and it's over, car barley warm session ends, bollox, that went well.
2013RockinghamNipponPractice216_zpsa08fbaae.jpg

Get back to paddock, and shock of shocks, qualified 7th overall in 1:45 with Ian in 8th 1:46, both surrounded by some big Jap stuff:eek:.
We celebrated with sausage sandwiches and a cup of tea (thanks Helen). Checked the car over, topped with fuel (hadn't used much),
and waited for race1.
Oli (Cub) turned up, and we had to beat him off the sausages ;), closely followed by 519 Danny,who always looks like a good meal would do him good,(only kidding), then Mark (Northloop) with Richard turned up. So we had a good old chinwag until 11.30, time to go.

At least with the green flag lap I managed to get everything warmed up and I'm sat on the grid right behind a Nissan Skyline,2 Impreza's,, Celica GT4 ,200sx and a Swift GTI.

Lights change, there is a gap'ish and I go for it, made it and we are off down into Turn 1 heading towards Deane with cars everywhere, and not knowing how anybody behaves, somehow we all make it, look in the mirror and Ian is one car behind me, good.
Lots of nip and tuck, and it was nice not see a Teg disappear into the distance, with Clio's holding their own with bigger Jap stuff, good fun was had and even pressured a Scooby to out brake himself at Deane.
2013RockinghamNipponRace1180_zps527662c1.jpg

2013RockinghamNipponRace1201_zps57589a15.jpg

Still having Ian on my tail , I was happy with that, as that meant I was leading French Trophy car, another glance in the mirror and Ian is sideways and gone, (grass tracking), I had to tell myself to leave the other Impreza alone and just finish, 9 laps soon go and cheq flag was out.
2013RockinghamNipponRace1101_zpsd85a4b0e.jpg

Back to paddock again, 6th overall 1st in class best time 1:43. Hello!!

More consumption of tea was required along with lot's of cake. The car seemed to have survived the quick thrash, so another quick check over and some more fuel, I decided not to change anything as it seemed to be more planted, maybe lowering the 2 turns did the trick after all.

Race 2

Very much the same as race 1 start, these Turbo's are slow of the line, but once they get all spooled up, they come at you from all angles, once again settled down nicely trying to keep up with the Impreza in front with Ian nipping at my heels.
2013RockinghamNipponRace144_zps1491ae94.jpg

2013RockinghamNipponRace131_zpsadf57c51.jpg

This continued for a few laps, and then my chance came, got him, took a gamble that he had seen me, thankfully he had. I was so
pleased with myself, and actually pulling a small gap on him and Ian, I braked a little late for Deane, WHOOPS, go wide, onto grass and thankfully back onto the circuit, unfortunately letting Ian and the Scooby through, more bollox!!

I never touched him officer, honest.
2013RockinghamNipponRace2230_zpsafc08ff4.jpg

2013RockinghamNipponRace2182_zpsdc62aade.jpg

Hung onto the back of Ian for the next couple of laps, but didn't really fancy making a lunge, not on me old mate anyway, so cheq flag once again comes out, god these races are short, or seem short compaired to TT anyway.

Pick up Nick and Oli and go back to paddock 6th overall and 2nd in class. (Ian beating me this time) best time 1:43 again, not bad for an old fella.

So what do I think of French Trophy series, GREAT i would say. Very friendly, very laid back anything goes attitude. I shall be doing more with this lot, and already booked the Silverstone race on the 27th April.

Thanks to
Helen (for keeping me warm and fed)
Nick
Oli
Danny for wicked engine building skills
Mark and Rich (putting windscreen sticker on straight'ish);).

​Was a great day, should have had 2x1st's, but hey ho, came home still in one piece ready to fight another day.

Last edited:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Epic shots epic write up, very excited to see the video now mate.

Congratulations on a top day as well :). Absolutely gutted I wont be making it to silverstone to finally see it in action.

Clio 182 Race Car
Great series. Tony could have had a late lunge at me but didn't - fair play! I had an early lunge at him and you all see where it got me! It was a cracking day, the sun came out and i had the best day racing I have had in ages. All of you with part finished cars should get them on these grids as soon as possible!

Cup In bits
Good results Tony, bizarre pictures with you amongst skylines and the likes, I like that. How do you find the sprint races compare to TT's?

Qashcow
Epic looking day tony, well done!! Glad you had a good days racing, happy it wasn't the GTR you were hunting down though ;)

Will you be hoping to do most of the races in this series?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The GTR got in the Way for the whole of both races. He could have been passed several times. Complete straight line hero I'm afraid

182cup & 172 racecar
Good results Tony, bizarre pictures with you amongst skylines and the likes, I like that. How do you find the sprint races compare to TT's?

It did seem strange, but yes, just got to get in the mindset for sprint races again.

Epic looking day Tony, well done!! Glad you had a good days racing, happy it wasn't the GTR you were hunting down though ;) Will you be hoping to do most of the races in this series?

Yes Dave, I think so now. Just cannot do Brands with them, as it's GP weekend, and I'll be working.

More precisely, will you be doing Combe on may 27th?

I think I might be now. Silverstone first, then see.

What's the details for Silverstone Tony? As I'm local might be a nice day out to come see some racing. Might even bring some cookies.

No details yet, just that it's the 27th April GP circuit.

The GTR got in the Way for the whole of both races. He could have been passed several times. Complete straight line hero I'm afraid

It's a big old beast.

I'll see you at Silverstone then. I'll sort the wheels out after then for you and give them a good seal.

Thanks Adam. :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Tony do Combe, i'll be your brew b!tch for the day, I could pretty much make them at home and get them to you hot still!

Qashcow
I/we will be down to cheer you on then hopefully, have that bank holiday off work I believe.

Em can waddle round the pits

182cup & 172 racecar
In the Arrowparks Euro Cahallange, amongst other fancy cars, there were two ex Clio Cup cars. One was doing 1.41's, which I would expect to be quicker, but the other was doing 1.44-45's, and they were on slicks, so doing 1.43's I'm very happy with.

172 Race Car
videos are well under way.

Epic footage, especially race 2. You can almost here the boost boys saying 'what the fcuks in that?' as a pair of small french tin cans snap at their heels