ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
Great vids! If you text me your address I'll post you my bumpercam file from race one. Race 2 wasn't recorded - I lost the card when that impreza reversed into me on lap 6!

​You'd have to send it to Jay, I can't do that sort of thing. Shame you went dirt tracking.

LOL, too slow again.

172 Race Car
More than I expected. Still light though and actually mine is more like 1200 probably. I was thinking mk1 weights not ph1. Lol. Mine mk1 is under 900 andy who used to own it reckons.
it did run quite a bit lighter when we built it. No headlights, lighter wheels and a smaller battery.

182cup & 172 racecar
More than I expected. Still light though and actually mine is more like 1200 probably. I was thinking mk1 weights not ph1. Lol. Mine mk1 is under 900 andy who used to own it reckons.

We like most got obsessed with weight saving, but once you start competing, safety and reliability starts to hit home, so weld a bit here, weld a bit there, add this and that.

The metal sump guard did it's job, it's dented and had half a ton of Rockingham sub soil wedged in it. Could have been a cracked sump, day over.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Race Car
We like most got obsessed with weight saving, but once you start competing, safety and reliability starts to hit home, so weld a bit here, weld a bit there, add this and that.

The metal sump guard did it's job, it's dented and had half a ton of Rockingham sub soil wedged in it. Could have been a cracked sump, day over.
I am going to weigh mine this weekend, it's strange how they gain weight as you add those "bits and bats"

Great videos and awesome driving there guys, enjoyed watching them.

Question, (little confused) that was the French Trophy right, so you was among the Nippon guys, how many French cars was there, was you all in a different series or did they combine the race due to numbers?

182cup & 172 racecar
Great videos and awesome driving there guys, enjoyed watching them.

Question, (little confused) that was the French Trophy right, so you was among the Nippon guys, how many French cars was there, was you all in a different series or did they combine the race due to numbers?

Combined the race due to numbers.

you were off the track more times than I was - just that mine was a daytrip!

Candy floss and a full face helmet, messy.

Cup In bits

Good drive Tony, could see the red mist creeping in a few times with the turbo's pulling away on straights (hand flapping lol)

Was the circuit layed up for a while before your race weekend, did it rain before? Real low grip going into the hairpin or was that your brakes running out?

Car went well as usual but cant help but think your car would benefit from a plated diff, you seemto struggle out of corners and touching kerbs mid corner throws you off line with wheel spin.

172 Race Car
Good drive Tony, could see the red mist creeping in a few times with the turbo's pulling away on straights (hand flapping lol)

Was the circuit layed up for a while before your race weekend, did it rain before? Real low grip going into the hairpin or was that your brakes running out?

Car went well as usual but cant help but think your car would benefit from a plated diff, you seemto struggle out of corners and touching kerbs mid corner throws you off line with wheel spin.
Think the front tyre pressures were too high for 2nd race. Yes plate diff would probably be better and we thought about it first time around and again last winter and again this winter

Cup In bits
Think the front tyre pressures were too high for 2nd race. Yes plate diff would probably be better and we thought about it first time around and again last winter and again this winter

Would explain the going deep into the hairpin.

Without sounding like a d**k I'm not that impressed with the Quaife's fitted to the Clio's. Between yours and Chips they really seem to struggle with anything more than straight ahead, the unweighted wheel just spins in corners making it no different to the standard open diff which is s**t as its not the way there marketed.

182cup & 172 racecar
They do make a difference, (but I know what you're saying), and they don't need touching which is a bonus. Never beat a plated diff, but one does have to watch the penny's, but at least it's out there racing and not being powdercoated ;).

Going deep into the hairpin, as I've explained before, it's critical as to where your breaking point is, as it's quite fast through turn one, blink and you miss it (which I did on several occasions).

Track had been used a lot and no rain, that's just the way it is.

Cup In bits
They do make a difference, (but I know what you're saying), and they don't need touching which is a bonus. Never beat a plated diff, but one does have to watch the penny's, but at least it's out there racing and not being powdercoated ;).

Yup I know all about the costs of building one, I have yet to find out the costs of racing and the up keep. I can't blame tarting mine up for not being out, its pure lazyness and my painter :mad:.

The service life is a bonus but grippers needing rebuilt every year is a bit of a myth IMO from doing some reading, your left with an open diff if they go so not the end of the world. What pony's has Ian got if the spec can't be disclosed lol.

That camera view is good for showing the undulations, didn't realise there was so much ups and downs on the infield.

172 Race Car
Without sounding like a d**k I'm not that impressed with the Quaife's fitted to the Clio's. Between yours and Chips they really seem to struggle with anything more than straight ahead, the unweighted wheel just spins in corners making it no different to the standard open diff which is s**t as its not the way there marketed.
have you driven a quaife'd clio? Night and day different to stock imo and does make a huge difference on the stop watch. From memory it was about 1 second per lap at Brands and even a similar gain at Silverstone. Not sure what the gain would be for a plate diff.

Cup In bits
have you driven a quaife'd clio? Night and day different to stock imo and does make a huge difference on the stop watch. From memory it was about 1 second per lap at Brands and even a similar gain at Silverstone. Not sure what the gain would be for a plate diff.

No haven't driven a Clio with one but have driven FWD with LSD's (gear type) I'm not saying it isn't an improvement but from watching you guys recent videos and chips videos they spin all over the place, engine note is never constant always loosing traction it seems. Just an observation more than anything as I just noticed it, I expected a lot better tbh from the cars I have driven with LSD's.

Lotus Elise

Going deep into the hairpin, as I've explained before, it's critical as to where your breaking point is, as it's quite fast through turn one, blink and you miss it (which I did on several occasions).

Track had been used a lot and no rain, that's just the way it is.

LOL!

Nice videos Tony, looks well. I didnt realise that yours was the rare one brake light version.

Just get out there ffs, it's only a Clio, come and mix it up

Haha I was only joking ;) couldn't give two hoots.

Regarding the quaife v's standard I know what Morgan means in the video but on track the difference they make is massive although they are still slightly compromised. At the last Llandow I drove Lesley's Rs2'd 172 and then drove chips turbo (thanks to them both) and had much less wheel spin in the wet in the turbo with quaife than Lesley's even with all the extra power of the turbo.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Plate diff vs Quaife with given bigger gains vs std vs Quaife.......just go straight plate diff with FD change if you can on a comp car.

I'll 2nd the diff differences...on the lap I mangaged to do at the weekend ..saw me short shifting up out of a corner until I got it right...fair bit of spin with Quaife but a far better drive than std so we're happy, as I said to Tony on the day - also the braking areas into Dean and Tarzan were slippy as anything.

172 Race Car
Yes I've gone that way this winter Evogone, looking forward to seeing the difference, just got to wait for my powdercoating to dry....
Flol

I'll 2nd the diff differences...on the lap I mangaged to do at the weekend ..saw me short shifting up out of a corner until I got it right...fair bit of spin with Quaife but a far better drive than std so we're happy, as I said to Tony on the day - also the braking areas into Dean and Tarzan were slippy as anything.
didnt think you got that far to find out :quiet: