ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Wednesday, 16 March 2011 - Let There Be Light

The headlights were fitted a few weeks back, before Llandow, so needed to be wired up. To make some room for them we had to relocate the air filter. This meant removing the aluminium pipe and fitting the filter directly to the air box. That pipe has some pedigree, in a previous life it was an intercooler pipe on a Time Attack winning Subaru. We then wired up the bulb holders and gave them a test.

089.jpg
100.jpg

106.jpg
090.jpg

We then got on with the task of wiring them up properly. Each light with its own relay and fuse. Not wanting to clutter up the switch box we found a spot for the switch in easy reach. All works perfectly.

shapeimage_4.png

4x 100W bulbs, a little bright :approve:

we will probably just run with 2 connected tho

Another job on the list was to remove the brake bias valve. We are still not happy with the brakes on the car and this is another roll of the dice. Hopefully will give us a little more braking on the rear.

101.jpg
105.jpg

Evo 5 RS
let us know what difference that makes will you? I've had two fail on me now, they're crap. On the Ph1s at least.

Lights look awesome smoked

172 Race Car
Also why such a gap in the middle nothin on the calendar for June and july??
June there Spa (too expensive a trip) and Oulton Park (they split the series now to 2 dates so our Oulton date is October ) and in July there is cadwell Park but its on British GP F1 day so Tony has work comitments

Planning to do the Renaultsport Bedford track evening in July tho (with Passenger seat) ;)

Qashcow
At last you can drive mine at Bedford too, although j can't wait that long so doing May too. Lights look blindin', literally :D

ITB'd MK1
June there Spa (too expensive a trip) and Oulton Park (they split the series now to 2 dates so our Oulton date is October ) and in July there is cadwell Park but its on British GP F1 day so Tony has work comitments

Planning to do the Renaultsport Bedford track evening in July tho (with Passenger seat) ;)

I finally get a ride ??? :D

Honda ATR
The car is looking nice and fresh boys.

Hope to catch you all at Brands in May?

How come your running lights? have the regs changed for this season?

Arran

172 Race Car
they 'Clarified' the rules. It now clearly states ''original working headlights must be fitted''

Was a grey area last year, some people argued that it came under the 'standard silouette' rule. Ours were stock headlights with the backs chopped out but some people had fitted mesh grills and air ducts in them so the put it in the rules so everyone knows now.

172 Race Car
Have you done that just to make it all look neater, no difference in braking?
We wern't going to dick about making up loads of new brake lines just to run 2 through the car. One line was there originaly so all we did to remove the bias valve was make up one new pipe (we could of made a tiny little bit to join pipes together where valve used to be)

we will see what, if any affect it has next time we drive it

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Just read this through, when I only intended skimming it - I just couldn't stop reading. Great effort guys.

I wouldn't mind coming to see an event and Brands isn't too far, is there an entry fee for spectators?

Lionel Richie
had a little play with it today (only a quickie as it needs attention in other places before i go to town on the complete setup) lets just say the weights were erm......................off
5d0af67c6ca4ad5a88780965b60ab98e.jpg

Lionel Richie
in simple terms you adjust the ride heights at each corner to change the weight balance/distribution on each corner (it goes a lot more complex and mind bending than that, but i'll keep it simple)

ie

a standard clio typically would have a stock setup as follows

(with driver)

FL 320kg 380kg FR

RL 220kg 235kg RR

basically in a RHD car they're a bit of a mare to setup as all the weight is on the drivers side

we aim to get the figures a lot closer together by adjusting the ride heights, an example below

(with driver)

FL 350kg 350kg FR

RL 227kg 227kg RR

Qashcow
Dare we ask how far out?

I'd hate to know what mine is like, supercharger and brackets hanging off the front drivers side of the already unbalanced engine

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
had a little play with it today (only a quickie as it needs attention in other places before i go to town on the complete setup) lets just say the weights were erm......................off
5d0af67c6ca4ad5a88780965b60ab98e.jpg

could it be because they have removed the front diamond?
or are they putting on a carbon diamond so it won't matter anyways?

TrackCar & F30 330d
I've spent hours setting up suspension on corner weights. Can take Sooooooo long if you have to keep taking wheels off! Nice when you eventually get it spot on tho :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol that must take forever! Do you have to roll the far back off and up again to make sure they have bedded back down? I'm sure it's worth it though

Lotus Elise
Its complicated. It depends whether the damper is inverted (like the back, or normal like the front), also a more compressed spring is pushing the wheel down harder as the spring rate builds with the compression. The trick is not to think about it too much.