ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i know you guys have tinkered with your blowers so thought i may aswell ask.

the 2 pipes that go into the blowers, do you know where these go? i don't have any pictures to show me and am not near the car, just thinking what i will need to do with them, should i loose the blowers.

182cup & 172 racecar
It'll be interesting to see how the ATB does with regards to lap time. half second to a second per lap maybe?

Thats what we are hoping,well 1-2secs would be nice.Going to try and test it Mallory before we go to Brands as we have times for Mallory,as long as its dry.

Golf GTD Mk7
Thats what we are hoping,well 1-2secs would be nice.Going to try and test it Mallory before we go to Brands as we have times for Mallory,as long as its dry.

That would be good. Integra in the sights now? I presume it's mainly going to be low speed corners where it will count, so it'll most likely be track dependant.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
At least you've driven yours! I'm getting seriously impatient waiting for our car now.....maybe I should actually help Tom build it..

lol. Grumpy Ollie. I'll probably have a race car before you do ..... ;)

Re: the Quaife though. Perhaps im odd in thinking this, but if i was building something to compete in, i'd buy a decent diff pretty much before anything else!! Whats the point in having the power of ITB's and cams and barely any weight, if you cant get it onto the tarmac?

Clio.
You won't feel a major difference using a Quaife ATB like you would with a Locking diff like a Gripper.
You should see a difference in lap times agreed, with a slight difference in driving style, but remember bouncing over curbs/lifting a driven wheel and the ATB diff will revert back to an open diff and spin the power away, which is a disadvantage over a locker.
The advantages of an ATB, is that you don't get so much 'kick back' when using a non-pas set up and you probably don't have to fwaff about, shortening the N/S driveshaft, like I had to with our R5 GT Turbo racers.
Matt@CodeRedMotorsports.

172 Race Car
i know you guys have tinkered with your blowers so thought i may aswell ask.

the 2 pipes that go into the blowers, do you know where these go? i don't have any pictures to show me and am not near the car, just thinking what i will need to do with them, should i loose the blowers.
Not quite sure what you are asking mate. Our heater matrix and pipes are as per standard

172 Race Car
It'll be interesting to see how the ATB does with regards to lap time. half second to a second per lap maybe?

Problem is we have made other changes since we last run at Mallory and its been resurfaced. The championships that have been there this year have gone quicker than 2010.

That is a natural thing that cars go quicker year after year, if you look back at the tintops laptimes for the last few years, the times we were doing last season would of been near the front a few years back. You need to improve to stand still.

So difficult to say exactly how much we can put down to the diff.

As long as its quicker and well balanced we will be happy.

172 Race Car
You won't feel a major difference using a Quaife ATB like you would with a Locking diff like a Gripper.
You should see a difference in lap times agreed, with a slight difference in driving style, but remember bouncing over curbs/lifting a driven wheel and the ATB diff will revert back to an open diff and spin the power away, which is a disadvantage over a locker.
The advantages of an ATB, is that you don't get so much 'kick back' when using a non-pas set up and you probably don't have to fwaff about, shortening the N/S driveshaft, like I had to with our R5 GT Turbo racers.
Matt@CodeRedMotorsports.
We know that its not the ultimate diff we could of bought but its a fit and forget part. And better than standard. We dont really go bouncing over kerbs that much, our main problem was slow 2nd gear stuff. Got left for dead by stuff with 30bhp less than us in the traction zones. End of straight we were as quick as anyone. the driveshaft issue worried us as did the need for maintainance (at some point)

172 Race Car
Re: the Quaife though. Perhaps im odd in thinking this, but if i was building something to compete in, i'd buy a decent diff pretty much before anything else!! Whats the point in having the power of ITB's and cams and barely any weight, if you cant get it onto the tarmac?
your not odd (well maybe just a bit ;)) the reason we didnt do it during the build was down to cost, plain and simple. The other Clio's in the series dont have them either. It was always on the to do list. if we'd of put a diff in it last year we would of only had the budget to do 4 races. Id rather be racing something.

Golf GTD Mk7
SO now theres a mix. Do I go for a Gripper diff or a Quaife on my build?

Sadev ;)

I'm sure it will make a big difference Jay. Better traction on slow corners opens you up to overtaking more so fingers crossed for both of you. I hear what you're saying though. Depend how much more the competitors have changed. You not thinking of cams yet, or would that put you outside the power limits?

172 Race Car
No limits on power. we can have what ever we like as long as its still NA and original engine. We are not lacking in top end speed. yes more power would make us quicker over a lap but were still working on the cars setup to make it quicker in a race.

Not planning on any engine mods (internal) like cams. Really not the way we want to go budget wise

182cup & 172 racecar
Its just another expense we can do without(oh the diff needs rebuilding this year)As Jay said,during the build if we had bought one,we could only afford to do about 4 races.No brainer really.
The standard engine is plenty quick enough atm.

FRED at BTM = HERO corner weighted at last.

172 Race Car
In the ideal world we would of rebuild our dampers for this season. But they only did 12 hours last year so we didnt.

Maybe its because were older (wiser) but we spend our money on running/driving/racing the thing. Its all about making it reliable and cheaper to run first. speed comes second.

Powder coated digital camshafts do none of that.

Qashcow
Powder coated digital camshafts don't half make a difference though!!

Can't wait for brands, as I'm sure you both can't either :)

172 Race Car
Box fitted, a little run in the car park to make sure it all works

And a vid of the flames, i know how we all like flames

Last edited by a moderator: