ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed at oulton on the 1st of October who's comin??

Good to meet you guys.

Shame about the incident in the race, and the engine giving up. Would probably have been another 3rd we reckon.

Roll on next season!

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice meet guys. Weather was bang on unless you were wearing a race suit ;) gutted I fucked my splitter parking though :mad:

Clio 172
Had a great day. Good to meet everyone. Tony, jay and the Burpspeed lot for the food and hospitality. Gutted about the car and the marshall who kept reminding us its a restricted area

Golf GTD Mk7
Hopefully you can get it sorted with the skoda one asap. Really un-noticeable that bump on the grass!

I'm lucky that's all I broke to be honest. Still annoying though.

Yeah the marshalls were out of order. Politeness cost nothing luv

182cup & 172 racecar
What exactly happened to the car then Tony? Assume the incident with the Saxo gave the Clio a bit of a headache?

Coming together with the Saxo was a minor scratch(rubbing is racing),no harm done there,I left him just enough room to get through,but obviously didn't think it was enough.

Engine let go big time,poor old thing.Over 90,000 miles and been thrashed for 36 hrs to an inch of it's life.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Aye thanks for the hospitality guys, very nice of you :)
Real shame about the engine (and the damn saxo) looked like you were running good pace.
See you next season!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Great day all round but it's a shame about the engine.

As mentioned thanks for the food and drink :)

FLOL at that marshall though

Hopefully see you again next year :D

172 Race Car
Thanks again for coming and supporting us everyone. And thanks to Fastdanbar for organising it. Sorry we didnt put on a better show for you, were looking at a good result if the engine had held out a bit longer.

as said in the other thread you put on more than a good show. everyone that came from our end had a brilliant day all round jay. and we were more than happy to induce you into the 'badbwoy' hall of fame ;)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Yes as said above great day out :) shame about the engine but I'm sure you'd guys will come back even stronger next year by the sounds of it :)
Great hospitality as well (chocolate brownies were awesome!) :)

And also IMO it was great for a racing team to let people in and around on a racing day :) not very often you get that chance unless you are part of/very close to a team, so again a massive thank you to team burpspeed :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes as said above great day out :) shame about the engine but I'm sure you'd guys will come back even stronger next year by the sounds of it :)
Great hospitality as well (chocolate brownies were awesome!) :)

And also IMO it was great for a racing team to let people in and around on a racing day :) not very often you get that chance unless you are part of/very close to a team, so again a massive thank you to team burpspeed :)
Dan,we never mind a good support,there are just certain times we need a little space to get things done,otherwise things can get forgotten,other than that it's nice to meet people.
Hope the Chili wasn't too hot,and choc brownies were too nice,I had 3 bits,race fitness fail lol.

Just waiting for Raid's pictures now.
Thanks again for all coming,was great.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Me and the daughters boyfriend really enjoyed the day,was great weather and the day was packed full of excitement.Thanks to tony and jay for taking the time to chat whilst you were getting the car ready,and the waves when you were on track ;).We were genuinely gutted when you had to pull out,but we saw the smoke on the previous lap when you overtook the civic as you were passing us on clay hill,and thought the worse.Will try and get to a few more races next season,just to support the ph1.

182cup & 172 racecar
Had plenty of time to wave as there's nothing to do at that part of the circuit,good support on the day.
Glad you both enjoyed it.

Mk3 dci
Great day out, gutted about the dnf.. Bet the spaxo driver shat himself when we surrounded him before giving Tony a push, and being shouted at by the whale

172 Race Car
Race Report:

Our last race of 2011 and after some strong results and the car working well recently, we were really looking forward to the meeting. The weather leading up to the day had been amazing, with temperatures reaching 28 degrees. The forecast was for a dry and sunny day, it turned out to be one of the hottest race days we’d ever done.
Tony had setup the night before and me, Matt and Dan turned up around 8am to help prep the car. The queue for sign on and scrutineering was surprisingly short and we were in and out in less than 10 mins.

queue-for-scrut.jpg

Qualifying was at 10:15 and the sun was blazing now. After me starting the last 2 races Tony was back in first. He joined the circuit from the pitlane but had a 360 spin warming up tyres before reaching the next corner. The circuit was very slippery. Ooops!
As Oulton is such a long lap, 11 to 12 laps is about all we can do in a 30min practice session. Tony was doing some very good times so I decided to leave him out as long as possible as one of our lap times was disallowed for cutting the 2nd chicane. He did our fastest lap (good enough for pole at the time) on his 6th lap. The next was the in lap as I needed to do the minimum 3 laps to get into the race. He continued to push and had another 360 spin at cascades. We came in and I jumped in to do my few laps. Tony told me how slippery the circuit was and I had a few sideways moments. I had traffic on all my laps but I had enough laps to start to get into a rythum.

oulton11q.jpg oulton11.jpg

4th was the final position from qualifying, we were very pleased with that. We discovered that we had made a small mistake with tyre pressures so decided to correct that and make no setup changes for the race. The weather began to get even hotter. During our pre race prep we found that the engine had been breathing heavily and had spat some oil out. It has taken a thrashing this year and been getting slowly worse. We had a nice lunch and a good chat to our guests from Cliosport.net and started to get ready for the race at 15:15.
Tony got a decent start and was side by side with the number 80 Saxo around the first corner, Old Hall. He dropped behind and went up the inside into Cascades. He left room on the exit as the Saxo was still on the outside but they touched and our door mirror went flying. The Saxo started to spin and collected Tony again, knocking him accross the track and narrowly missing Jerry in the 306.

oulton-race-start.jpg just-before-the-bump.jpg

The car had survived and we were in 4th. By the end of the lap the front 2 had pulled away and that left the #28 Civic in 3rd, us 4th and Ian Collins, in his first race back after a big crash at Cadwell, in 5th in his Clio. The car was running well, Tony able to get close to the Civic a few times but it was starting to smoke and we could smell burning oil as it passed the pits. The engine temperature began to climb to over 100 degrees and Tony had the heater on flat out to try and help cool it. Not pleasant on a day with 29degree weather and in a 3 layer fireproof suit. I hoped it would last the distance as we might be able to jump the Civic in the pits and the leader had a success penalty to take, we were looking at a good result, but was worried we’d get black and orange flagged.

a-sign-of-trouble.jpg

I didnt need to worry as it didnt last till the stops, coming out of the hairpin on lap 7 it lost power. Ian went by and Tony gunned it out of the chicane, it was making a nasty noise and went bang just before Knickerbrook.

a-smokey-end.jpg

So that was it, a dissapointing end to a great season. 3 trophys this year is more than we hoped for so we cant be too downbeat. It was a shame not to end on a high tho. The damage to the car was fairly minor but its getting some mechanical TLC over the winter, along with a new engine of course.

another-battle-scar.jpg

When I watched it back, I expected the collision to happen about 5 or so seconds before it actually does, at the exit of the corner. Tony was driving straight for about 5 seconds before he got hit. Very weird, I can only assume the saxo just lost it on the grass.

Mk3 dci
The Saxo was on the grass for a while before there was contact, because we could see him hit the grass then just as they went behind the trees there was a load of smoke and debris thrown up.. Was a scary moment for us watching, I can't imagine how Tony felt!

182cup & 172 racecar
Ian in the Clio behind didn't have one either,he got the best seat in the house for that one.

Johnny,you didn't come and say hi,Jay said you were there!

172 Race Car
Id be interested to know if we were mentioned on comentary and what they said during the race? We never hear it you see, busy doing other things

Golf GTD Mk7
It's a shame the commentary was soooooo quiet. Only caught little bits. Too much excitement when the Saxo incident. We were eagerly watching to see if Tony emerged over the hill.