ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Home cinema (need projector advice)

RS6 C7
I have a spare room which (i think) would be perfect for a projector.

The room is 15 foot x 11.5, There is a window each end but i think i could blank the window out and put the screen over it?

What i need to know is, What screen do i need and i literally have no clue on a projector, They seem to range massively in price. I will spend up to 1k on the projector if need be. I saw some at the Grand designs show, I think the were Epson. The picture was great but i was in a rush so didn't look enough!

I think iv'e sorted the seating out & the flooring is all sorted but wanted some advice on the main parts!

Iv'e seen a couple on here a while ago :)

Pictures of the room as it stands (Needs decorating) :

vjvj007-1.jpg
vjvj008.jpg

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I got a 1080p Optoma projector from Tesco for just under £500. Can't fault it apart from the odd rainbow effect you get with DLP but you quickly get used to it and stop noticing it.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
I'm just in the process of converting one of the spare rooms into a home theatre myself, and have spent a fair bit of time looking into projectors.

For that budget depending whether you want 3d or not, the Epson tw3200 would be quite a good purchase.

Full 1080p, lens shift and a pretty decent zoom giving you a lot of choice when it comes to how big a screen you want.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Epson-EH-TW3200_Projector_review

Also the bulbs are quite good value ranging from about £60.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've got an optoma HD200 at the moment, asides from an issue with the colour wheel getting dirty it's been faultless and the quality is brilliant.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
I would suggest finding somewhere that have demos setup with various projectors. The first choice is choosing either LCD or DLP.

Some people have a problem with DLP projectors and suffer from something called the rainbow effect, where you see RGB lines across the screen if you look across the screen from one side to the other quickly. The LCD projectors do not suffer from this but have a tendency to have not quite so deep blacks.

DLP projectors are great, however also be aware you have to be very careful with the placement.

Because lens shift is very rare in DLP projectors you have to have the projector perfectly center and at a specific height otherwise you have to use keystoning to get the image parallel with the screen and this can cause slight image distortion. I had a nightmare job getting the alignment right when I was setting mine up.

The benefit with the LCD projectors is that with most you can get a function that can actually shift the lens and move the picture left and right, and up and down. This means that the placement of the projector isn't quite so important.

RS6 C7
Finally finished it off today pretty much :)

Only thing i need to sort is the speakers as i have a s**t old samsung surround sound, I will be getting something else in the future. The picture quality from my Optoma GT 750 is awesome.

Pictures: (iPhone does it no justice)
rgwege5t007.jpg

rgwege5t006.jpg

rgwege5t010.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks great!!

I'd need some massive bean bags in there though for some comfort.