ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget Saxo VTR Track Car Progress Thread

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Since I can remember, I've always wanted to take part in motorsport.
I hounded my parents every day to let me take up karting, however circumstances, time and the expense meant that it wasn't feasible.

I am 20 years old, with 3 years of having a clean license and insurance and fingers crossed the planets have started to align to allow me to "kind of" pursue my dream.

I don't have the most money in the world, so don't be expecting miracles, however I've been keeping me eye out for a decent starting point, with a "Top Gear styled" budget of getting a car track ready for £1000.
I'm a keen enthusiast who has spent a fair bit on tools and equipment for when this day arrived, so fingers crossed I should be able to use some elbow grease instead of labour charges for 99% of the things.

Every day I have looked on the internet, and last week I saw that a Saxo VTR (99) had been relisted due to time wasters who had bid and not showed.
The car was green, a bit rough around the edges but a solid shell and had some goodies already installed.
It has full KW suspension, Magnex stainless steel exhaust and decat, Maxogen sealed induction kit, OMP strutbrace, Fan Override, Fiberglass bonnet and more...
The car was at £126 with only 2 hours remaining, so I monitored it with intent to bid.
It went up to around £200 with a few minutes left and then the bids started flying in. With 15 seconds remaining I stuck a bid of £301.01 in and I got it!
I got it for £265!

I contacted the seller, who was gutted about it's price, however we arranged to collect it on Saturday 27th.
I got in touch with Jord (f0xy) and asked if I could borrow his trailer, which of course he agreed to and everything was set.

We made the 3 hour journey to Scotland to collect the car, as soon as I saw it I knew it was a good buy.
The guy was very friendly, he gave us some spare parts and panels FOC which I was very happy about.

Here are a couple of pics of the car after we loaded it onto the trailer

photo1.gif

photo2.gif

I'm made up with this to be honest, I have some plans which will get the car ready for track and fingers crossed a decent little runner.

My list of plans are:
  • Completely strip interior
  • Rollcage
  • Bucket seat with harness
  • DIY refurb of wheels with semi-slicks
  • Fiberglass Headlight CAF
  • Steering wheel
  • Cut out switches
  • General bodywork cleanup

This list I have compiled should be achievable for £1000. There are some other bits I'd love to do if budget allows, but are not vital:
  • 406 Brembo brakes
  • Polycarb windows
  • Full respray (DIY at missus' Dad's bodyshop)

Thank you for taking the time to read through my project starter post, hopefully there will be a lot of updates along the way!
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated as always!

Last edited:
  Lotus Elise
Looks awesome, I wouldn't worry about tidying up the body work if its destined for a life on track.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
sounds like it could be alot of fun mate best of luck with it, agreed ditch the brembos weighty expense larger 306 brakes with decent disks pads and fluid will do. if your racing it does it need a respray? use that money in other areas imo. i have a strut brace for sale if thats of any interest and also a omp lower brace, both work wonders.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Total bargin!

I am about to sell my 306 gti6 setup off the front of my 106. As I am going to go back down to 14" wheels and use 206 gti brakes, drop me a PM if you are interested.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I've been looking at some GTI6 brakes actually, contacted the seller before to see if they'd come down on the price.

I've got to be cheeky with this budget in mind!

I had been watching some cobra buckets with harnesses and subframes and I was outbid at the last second, gutted!

sounds like it could be alot of fun mate best of luck with it, agreed ditch the brembos weighty expense larger 306 brakes with decent disks pads and fluid will do. if your racing it does it need a respray? use that money in other areas imo. i have a strut brace for sale if thats of any interest and also a omp lower brace, both work wonders.

It came with a strutbrace, another decent little bargain addon!

How much are you after for the lower one?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Great project, the 283mm brakes are all you need mate.

You can get them from GTI-6's, but also Partner/Berlingos which might be a bit cheaper, and Xsara VTS off the top of my head!

They wont fit under those VTR wheels though, 15" min.

If you want to keep your wheels, the 266mm brakes will go under

If you go for the 283mm I'd recommend doing the master cylinder too, I didn't and the pedal feel wasn't "great"

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Great project, the 283mm brakes are all you need mate.

You can get them from GTI-6's, but also Partner/Berlingos which might be a bit cheaper, and Xsara VTS off the top of my head!

They wont fit under those VTR wheels though, 15" min.

If you want to keep your wheels, the 266mm brakes will go under

If you go for the 283mm I'd recommend doing the master cylinder too, I didn't and the pedal feel wasn't "great"

Thank you Sir.

Which wheels did you have with the brakes??

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Good work, absolute bargain!

Not fancy sticking a 16v in there?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Thank you Sir.

Which wheels did you have with the brakes??

I had either Saxo VTS, Speedline Chronos or some 15" steels through the course of the time I had with the car.

They're a tight fit, even with 15's.

PB070281.jpg

Looked best behind VTS wheels IMO.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Good work, absolute bargain!

Not fancy sticking a 16v in there?

I had either Saxo VTS, Speedline Chronos or some 15" steels through the course of the time I had with the car.

They're a tight fit, even with 15's.

Looked best behind VTS wheels IMO.

How did you find them compared to standard setup mate?

Did you get uprated brakelines or just keep standard?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Much, much better than standard VTS brakes mate, I imagine your VTR ones will be even smaller than the VTS ones too?

What happened to me was I had a Mk1 VTS with the 283mm brakes, and then I bought a Mk2 which was standard. I couldn't believe how bad the brakes felt in comparison so I swapped the brakes over. Standard lines and master cylinder.

My mk1
PB130277.jpg

PA100246.jpg

Mk2
PB070284.jpg

If you do get a 16v conversion make sure you get a Supersprint exhaust on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOylVbCN18k

They don't sound bad on the 8v's, but much nicer on the 16's.

Need any help give me a shout!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'll run this engine into the ground. If it ever needs a new engine (or I get more funds ;) ) I'll definitely swap it for a 16v.

Good plan regardless mate, I'd imagine that despite being low power, it'll be a right laugh on track.

Glad to see you're going for a different brake set-up, the one thing I remember about my mates old VTR was how scary they were as standard!

Clio tce
266mm 206 gti brakes worked well on my Vtr as did the 106 rally box. So much fun. Get some billies it to.

. John at gmc motor sport,( Scotland) will be able to help you out with the set up and any parts you need, or tweequed automotive in Alton are brilliant at setting these cars up.

Lots of info on sax-p forum. That brings back some memories... Lol.

Last edited:
  Inferno 182 & Saxo
Bigger brakes are a great idea but dont discount the standard 247mms with a good fluid and decent pad - RCL series, DS3000 and such providing its not a road car. Plus the discs are cheap to replace

Clio tce
Ahhh SaxP, the place where geeks, enthusiasts and chavs all somehow get on together lol (perhaps you have to be a geeky enthusiastic chav to own one)

The 106 / saxo was a very capably car. So maybe you need to understand cars to appreciate. It's French just like renaults....

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I've picking up a pair of Sparco bucket seats with saxo subframes today from a lad I know.

Got the pair for £130!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Picked up the seats today. Made up with them, just need to clean them.
The one pictured is absolutely mint, the other has a small tear on the side which I will use as the passanger seat and get repaired when funds allow.

Here is a pic of one in the kitchen (please excuse mess in the background)

photo3.gif

photo4.gif

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Yesterday the bucket seats went in.

Had a pain getting the bolts out of the old subframes but nothing a braker bar couldn't sort.

Put the seats in, however when I sat in them I realised that I'm a little too short.

I can reach the pedals, however I have to slightly stretch to press the clutch right in.

They're OMP Saxo subframes.

Surely someone else has had the same problem, so what would be the best bet?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Today, after having to wait a very long time due to the house move, work etc, I was able to borrow a trailer and bring the car home.

The battery was dead as it had sat untouched for 6 months almost, but I got a battery charger as an early 21st present so I managed to sort it and it started straight away.

We loaded the car onto the trailer and headed home.

ymyme2us.jpg

a7u8e4un.jpg

There are a few bits I need to sort very soon. I need to get the undercarpet sponge out as it's wet and stinking the car out. But more importantly, I yanked the handbrake up and it snapped the cable :/ so I need to buy a new one ad fit it.