ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Infinity

Revo Stage 1 Leon FR
Looks interesting from what I have read about it, anybody lucky enough to have this already ? Option 2 with the 40mb down & 10mb upstream looks great !

Be a nice upgrade from 8mb when it gets activated here in September !

Go cry to your momma!
Have you seen the allowance on it though...shocking!

You can't make use of the speed for more than half a day (if you were to use it flat out)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got this?

Just placed my order for October 18th fitting date, guaranteed minimum 16.7Mbps apparently, and with so few on the network at present I was told to expect closer to the upto 40Mbps off peak.

Sad but I cant wait, better than my pesky 'lucky if I get 1.5Mbps' sky broadband at the moment. Really looking forward to streaming HD too

Go cry to your momma!
It all depends on how close you are to the green cab'

Apparently, the estimates are pretty reserved..

dk

911 GTS Cab
I had BT for years, great service but hated their traffic shaping, used to cap me from 5 until 11:30 at 0.5mb when I had 4mb normally.

Now on o2 and get 20mb all the time, no traffic shaping, always 20mb/s download, it's great.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had BT for years, great service but hated their traffic shaping, used to cap me from 5 until 11:30 at 0.5mb when I had 4mb normally.

Now on o2 and get 20mb all the time, no traffic shaping, always 20mb/s download, it's great.

That is on my mind, committed to 18 months now though, well I will be once its installed. From what I gather, they wont stop throttling your speed on infinity until you have passed 100GB downloads in a month, then again thats only 30 hours of decent HD streaming iirc.

Would love to get 20mb via adsl but due to the distance to the exchange i'll be stuck with low speeds on adsl. Shame this new service isn't FTTP though, could at least give it us as a cost option (without going into silly business prices).

172 Cup
Hi..

926111258.png

I went with IDNet rather than BT as they've got more sensible pricing plans and allowances. Plus none of this traffic shaping b****cks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Id be very surprised if you get more speed then you currently have

Based on what exactly? Genuinely interested, not sarcastic.

@Griff, I looked at IDnet but it would be mega hassle, since the phone would have to go back to BT (which costs if not taking BB) then sign up to IDnet and I genuinely cant be bothered. If it throttles too much I'll change after the contract is up.

What speeds were you getting on ADSL? and what speeds did they say you would get on fibre?

172 Cup
What speeds were you getting on ADSL? and what speeds did they say you would get on fibre?

I was with Be for the last 3 years.. Normally synced at 16mbps.

The fibre "guesstimator" is completely inaccurate so don't pay any attention to that but I think it estimated I'd get 28mbps down and 7mbps up. In reality I'm synced at 40/10 according the the JDSU.

What did you mean about the phone having to go back to BT?

Bumder With A Buffer
Based on what exactly? Genuinely interested, not sarcastic.

@Griff, I looked at IDnet but it would be mega hassle, since the phone would have to go back to BT then sign up to IDnet and I genuinely cant be bothered. If it throttles too much I'll change after the contract is up.

From my understanding the Infinity stuff is very hit and miss. Im guessing your fibre to the cab rather then fibre to the home? Or do you live in a flat etc??

The infinity experiments we have been involved in recently (for BT) didn't make any differences to line speed. According to BT though it was "Technical Issues" within the new DSLAMS (I think they are using ALCATEL ones?? Cany remember exactly)

Bumder With A Buffer
Huawei DSLAM's ;)

Really? They decided to go with them then??

Hmmm wonder why they gave us an Alcatel one then when they were doing the tendors etc?! What I mean is they gave us the Alcatel one to build loads of kit for them in preparation for the rollout.

Christ Arse and elbow springs to mind!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was with Be for the last 3 years.. Normally synced at 16mbps.

The fibre "guesstimator" is completely inaccurate so don't pay any attention to that but I think it estimated I'd get 28mbps down and 7mbps up. In reality I'm synced at 40/10 according the the JDSU.

What did you mean about the phone having to go back to BT?

Everything is with sky, and if I type my phone number into a website it doesn't register as a BT phone number. Presumed this means I need a non-sky line to use another persons BB?

From my understanding the Infinity stuff is very hit and miss. Im guessing your fibre to the cab rather then fibre to the home? Or do you live in a flat etc??

The infinity experiments we have been involved in recently (for BT) didn't make any differences to line speed. According to BT though it was "Technical Issues" within the new DSLAMS (I think they are using ALCATEL ones?? Cany remember exactly)

Yep, FTTC.

We have been doing a lot of comms trials at work with fibre and it is so far a lot quicker, presumed it would work in a similar fashion. If I get it and am getting sub 10Mbps the engineer will be taking the modem back away with him lol

172 Cup
Really? They decided to go with them then??

Hmmm wonder why they gave us an Alcatel one then when they were doing the tendors etc?! What I mean is they gave us the Alcatel one to build loads of kit for them in preparation for the rollout.

Christ Arse and elbow springs to mind!

Huawei also supply the Openreach branded VDSL2 modems so I guess they provided the cheapest "solution" to BT.

Jenic - My line rental isn't with BT either but I had no problems placing an order and it was obviously accepted.

Bumder With A Buffer
Everything is with sky, and if I type my phone number into a website it doesn't register as a BT phone number. Presumed this means I need a non-sky line to use another persons BB?

Yep, FTTC.

We have been doing a lot of comms trials at work with fibre and it is so far a lot quicker, presumed it would work in a similar fashion. If I get it and am getting sub 10Mbps the engineer will be taking the modem back away with him lol

During some trial sites we were doing the guys were saying "Blah blah blah 40mb speeds easy no problem. We roll upto the "test site" with our kit and we get lower speeds then the copper pretty much next to it.

Maybe thats why they ditched Alcatel then!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
^^hopefully richy

IDNet wont accept my phone number on the checker, no where will since i went to sky

Bumder With A Buffer
Im still very dubious of BT's whole approach to Fibre.

They just can't seem to make up their minds. FTTH, no to the cab, nah to the Home, No to the cab!

FFS!!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Too true, I particularly enjoyed this quote :rasp:

It is difficult to understand the assertion of BT Chief Executive, Ian Livingstone, that people were "happy with a Ford", as he compared the difference between 100Mb FTTH and 40Mb FTTC to that between a Ferrari and a Ford, particularly in light of some of the additional benefits of FTTH. At a basic level, fibre optic is less expensive than copper wire in the first place and has low scrap value, making it less attractive to thieves.

260% JCW
Think yourselfs lucky guy's, i get half a meg download at best. Type Norfolk into BT Infinity site and bad news, s**t internet for me.

Fiesta ST
Being in Cornwall I thought i'd never see fibre but looks like we got the EU behind us and they are gonna cover the whole county with fibre! result.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
BT infinity... Fibre optic fails when it hits the cab and goes back on to copper.

Although it's still fast, it's not as good as it could be.

Bumder With A Buffer
^^^Exactly

They are banging on about having fibre to everyone (or most people)...Thats a HUGE job. Ripping up all the roads again to lay the Fibre to the house etc.

That being said the even the last few Km on copper wouldnt harm the speed that much.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
^^^Exactly

They are banging on about having fibre to everyone (or most people)...Thats a HUGE job. Ripping up all the roads again to lay the Fibre to the house etc.

That being said the even the last few Km on copper wouldnt harm the speed that much.

Unless people have a fibre line coming into their house... costs of which would be immense to EVERY household. Using the old copper loops and claiming "fibre optic broadband to household" FTL!

Bumder With A Buffer
Knows.

We are still supplying kit to them for copper lines...and will be for at least 5 more years.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
For the time being, this speed is more than what I require. But as faster speeds become the norm, technology will start to demand more and the networks will never keep up imo.

I'm about 450m to the cab according to google maps so i'm surprised my speed was so high. He did someone around the corner before he came to ours and they only managed 19Mbps so there is a lot of variation.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Just had BT round, first one in the area to have Infinity apparently.

This morning:
before.png

This afternoon:
after.png

Very chuffed :)

Edit - roughly 650m from the cabinet. He said it's the one at the end of the road even though there's one closer.. something about only some of them being compatible. Speed will fluctuate but he said we'll get this most of the time :D

Revo Stage 1 Leon FR
997786442.png

Not overly impressed with the download but it's better than the 8mb I got before I guess... was hoping more for 35-40 !