ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Broadband issues - where do I stand?

SQ5
Had BT Broadband now for just over 6 months, at the beginning the speed was acceptable. Told we would get up to 2.5 and were getting 1.7/1.8.

Recently it's gone ridiculous, two nights a go I was pulling in a massive 0.03 Mbps with a ping of 400ms.

But tonight it's got to the point where it's cutting out every 5-10 minutes. Watching stuff on Netflix is painstaking.

Now my main question is is that I hold up my end of the contract by paying every month surely they should be providing a half decent service. Has anyone else had similar experiences and contacted them to be given a discount or option to quit? Friend has just gone onto Sky and gets 6-7mbps, still all n the same BT line?

I also can't seem to understand why BT won't let normal customers have upto 8mbps in areas where it can be done?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I found the home hub was pretty s**t when i had BT internet. Had times they throttled the s**t out of it due to usage. This is probably what is happening to you.

Trafic 140dci
BT are sh*t i'm with them, if i'm on COD online on the xbox, and she's on the ipad, COD will crash and flicker really bad.

SQ5
I'll "borrow" a Draytek router from work. Have seen improved speeds using them too. Just a bit pissed at BT really!

Bumder With A Buffer
I reckon you have a problem on your line.

Do you hear any hissing etc when you pick up the phone? Anything like that?

You still at the Pub? As I can attempt to do something for you through work but obviously need to make sure what exchange your on. ITs whats known as "dropouts" and usually its caused by faulty kit (which they NEVER test).

PM me your phone number (landline) and il see what I can do tomorrow if you like??

Obviously you try the draytek and it works don't bother. But if its the same then its more then likely a problem either with you (Customer Premise Equipment or something) or the line between your house and the exchange. Dunno where the exchange is from yours though

Edit ROFL the Exchange is Behind Tripp Batt!!

Last edited:
  RS6 C7
Mine's been appalling lately, I only get 0.3mb on a good day but iv'e been getting no internet at all. It cuts out 10+ times a day for 5 minutes at a time.

Getting fed up of it to be honest.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I think legislation should be brought it to enforce minimum broadband speeds and that they are met. I had a similar situation to the OP and I was appalled at the service I was recieving. The providers don't offer any discount when your service is running at 1/4 of the speed it should be and IMO that's not on.

There should be something that states that if you sell (for example, an upto 8Mbs) you have to provide at least 75% of that speed to your customer or you are entitled to money off your bill each month. All IMO of course.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
in the original post.. if the speed is UP TO 2.5, then 1.7-1.8 is hardly awful!

and following other posts there is leigislation where by you can call to ask for your minimum guaranteed speed. If it falls below this and BT (or other provider) fail to rectify the issue after trying various solutions, then you can cancel your contract with no held to term charges.

Listerine & Poledo
You can ask them to send an engineer, but you'll end up paying for it.

Who did you use before?

SQ5
in the original post.. if the speed is UP TO 2.5, then 1.7-1.8 is hardly awful!

and following other posts there is leigislation where by you can call to ask for your minimum guaranteed speed. If it falls below this and BT (or other provider) fail to rectify the issue after trying various solutions, then you can cancel your contract with no held to term charges.

Im fine with getting 1.7/1.8 but the low speeds for the last week or so and dropouts just isn't on!

Bumder With A Buffer
Can't get your line tested im afraid...not shown on the database's I have access too.

Your still on the Stanton exchange though which is almost 2km away so your speed won't be great (but should be better then 0.03!).

I tried :(

SQ5
Arse ;)

Just looked at past speed tests and I actually haven't ever got 1.7/1.8. Highest I got was a 0.7 which is pathetic!

SQ5
Not yet no, haven't had time. I do plan on calling was just asking opinions from others who may have experienced this in the past.

SQ5
I do this for a living so I know all the tricks which was why my main question was on the service.

Master socket makes no difference on any job I've ever done. BT only say this so secondary wiring isn't to blame. If that's perfect it won't make a difference what socket it's plugged into.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
but even so, you should still call up so that it is documented that you are having a problems etc.. if you call up simply wanting to cancel due to slow speeds with nothing showing on your account notes wise, you will not be able to cancel contract without charges.. I do this for a living. For BT.

In our experience BT are awfull. Even changed us to a different price plan without us knowing. Internet is the same as you have described. We called and explained and we now have a letter saying we can leave due to the speed being so slow. Probably going to sky soon.

SQ5
but even so, you should still call up so that it is documented that you are having a problems etc.. if you call up simply wanting to cancel due to slow speeds with nothing showing on your account notes wise, you will not be able to cancel contract without charges.. I do this for a living. For BT.

I know as said before I was asking other peoples experiences and calling when I'm at home and get time which probably won't be until Friday

SQ5
In our experience BT are awfull. Even changed us to a different price plan without us knowing. Internet is the same as you have described. We called and explained and we now have a letter saying we can leave due to the speed being so slow. Probably going to sky soon.

I imagine you were told 2.0 and got 1.9 for a split second and felt the need to complain ;)