ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake click when changing direction

Clio 182
Hey guys.

So my brakes over the past month have been squealing like mad on my 182 recently, but there is still lots of meat left on the pads. On Saturday I stripped back all the brakes, cleaned the pads and calipers all up of brake dust, crud etc, regreased the back of the pads and corners of the callipers where the pads sit and put it all back together. The pads that are in at the front and have been for over a year are ferodos and I noticed there was no shims, or anti rattle clips etc.

Now when I brake (only the first time) going from forwards to reverse or reverse to forwards I get a loud click from my drivers side.

The only think I didn't do was Loctite the bolts but I'm sure they wouldn't have come loose in 24hrs. Any ideas? Would my cleaning of the carriers removed too much caked on dust/crud that now the pads are moving slightly when changing direction?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its because the shims aren't in and you've removed all the crud... nothing majorly wrong. I personally prefer it this way as the pads don't stick/seize and so saves pad/disc life but on customer vehicles I always file the back plate accordingly to ensure a proper fitment with the shims in place.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Mine does this too. Front O/S? I get a "click" when going over some bumps, I take it you've tried just adding a little bit of pressure on the brake pedal to test it, as if I do this it goes away.
Am also using ferodos but the OEM ones.
Only option I can see is new pads, think I'll go back to mintex as ferodos make so much dust its unreal

Clio 182
Sounds good to me. Yea the Front OS Gandi. I also agree about the ferodos producing so much dust, I've mintex on the rear and they're perfect. The rears seem fine anyway, I replaced the clips and all and I've no issues.

The front at least have stopped squealing, they just click now.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Same set up as me there then, I wont be going that route again for pads as mine isn't a track car. Mintex performed just as well but less mess - I wash the wheels and a few drives to work and back and they are filthy and thats taking it steady on the brakes