ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet Release

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It turns out my car doesn't want me to check the fluids and open the bonnet. It is now a two person job to open it! Someone has to pull the lever and the other has to gently persuade the bonnet to release with a little pull....my arms arn't long enough to reach inside the foot well and to the front of the car!!
Once open, the mechanism pulls fine, you can see it moving and everything, no resistance on it even when the bonnet is catched. All looks like it is aligned. And there is no wear on the spring bit on the bonnet to say that is damaged.

Anyone had the same problem?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Mine has the same issue. Not got round to getting it fixed. I'd be interested in a potential easy fix.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Need to adjust the cable / bonnet release mechanism. Basically a cable between the catch and the pull lever. Needs tightening.

I'd be careful, as I know just how annoying it can be if it fails completely. I got into mine eventually but only because I wasn't running arch liners. It's a smash the upper grill job sometimes :(

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I'm needs cleaning and lube aswell. Did one on a cup this week. Was bone dry and locked shut. Managed to get the bonnet open, unbolted the catch from the slam panel. Paint thinners to clean the crap off and then grease up to feck.

Sorted it.

Many.
Just loosen the bolts holding the catch on the slam panel, I normally then lower the bonnet onto the catch so it gets it roughly where it needs to be, then tighten up, Can take a few goes.

Obviously lube all parts well too.

The release mech can fail, allowing the bonnet to open at speed, smashing the windscreen and a-pillars. Ring renault and they can check if yours has been replaced. Needs lubrication and maintained though. Mine is at the stage it doesn't always stay closed! :(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have this - was going to take it to Renault as I don't think mine had the recall fix.
There is a huge post about the recall fix if you do a search . A letter was sent out in early 2013 to all MK2 Clio owners offering either a free check and free fix for those that were never done in the original recall back circa 2008 / 9 , other letters stated they would be checked and if any correction action was required it would be done at a cost of £90 . You're best bet is to phone Renault Customer services and they'll be able to tell if you if it's already been recalled and fixed in the past , possibly by a previous owner . If it has already been done previously , they won't fix it FOC again , you'll have to pay .

Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.4 16v
Had a similar issue a few weeks ago where my bonnet wouldn't shut. Renault sent a letter before but they wanted £90 to sort it (must have already been looked at), so I removed the catch from the slam panel, cleaned it up with WD-40 and a toothbrush, then greased it up and refitted. Also removed, cleaned and greased the catch and striker mechanism on the bonnet itself. Works like new now. As others have said, when refitting the catch, put the bolts in place but don't tighten all the way, then lower the bonnet and it should centralise around the striker pin allowing you to then tighten.