ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's Williams 4 project

Qashcow
Well hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another instalment of 'how to waste as much cash as you see fit on a clio'

As a few people know, for 5 years I owned and played with my silver ph1, it went well and at 275bhp was pretty nippy. I stripped and sold it to make way for weddings and other bits n bobs and regretted it shortly afterwards. Then came the urge for another car, I had a look at a few things but an MX5 was niggling inside, so bought one.

Then, about two weeks ago a chance text conversation ensued and 3 days later I put the MX5 on a transporter and drove south to meet Samoose off of here and did the deal. His Ph1 clio became mine, my MX5 became his. simples.

Had to swap wheels on the two cars but basically, the Clio is going to be running these genuine Rota's in bronze. the problem is they are 15x8 et0 which essentially means they dont fit. at all.

Few pictures first off...

0e77ea25.gif

2011_12_11_4967.gif

2011_12_11_4968.gif

2011_12_11_4965.gif

2011_12_11_4962.gif

2011_12_11_4964.gif

First things first, sort a few of the problems out. bumper off to make things easier, straight away removed the carbon canister and plugged the old holes.
Removed and cleaned the throttle body (a new gasket will be ordered tomorrow).

2011_12_11_4972.gif

2011_12_11_4969.gif

To do list;

1. remove rear spacers and machine rear caliper and anything else needed to get the wheels fitting.
2. add same -3 degrees camber to rear hubs and use new fixings (from old car).
3. butcher rear arches enough to get the 50profile tyres fitting with no scrubbage
4. fit new radiator/fix or replace the damaged bung outlet type thing (which my spare doesnt have...)
5. straighten up the front parts the bumper sits on, fit aero catches from old ph1
6. find/weld/fit/butcher an old cat for the MOT
7. sort electrical wiring - either new dials and bulbs or possibly a bad earth somewhere which could explain a few other things too
8. fit new bulb holders for the ph2 lights, already in the post from Sam
9. remove rear wiper mechanism, i hate rear wipers and never had a car with one. yucky things
10. then i need to look at fixing the paintwork on the rear arches

long term, unsure yet. Not sure if I or dont want a stripped car again, this has full interior and at the moment suits me just fine. Glad to have a drive full of 3 Renaults again tbh

340i
Oh hello.

I was waiting for this.... I think those wheels really suit the car, surprisingly!

as said, I've got a PH-1 cat in the garage doing nothing :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If i'd have known you were meeting him, you could have got my centre caps he was supposed to be sending me over 2 years ago...

Qashcow
thanks everyone :)

Gray, will have a proper look under the car when its dry and see how much of the exhaust has been cut and welded before, unsure whats fitted in there at the moment.

Daniel, Sam is still about on here and fb should you need to bum him?

Fred, I picked this up the weekend me and Gray were with Boner, pulling his engine out. His wide wheels etc reminded me that F1's and turini's arent the only wheels that suit these things so was happy as larry when i put the two together :)

I'm going to try and keep this one

Loving the wheels , let me know if you need any bits for it , have a few Monaco bits in the shed that you can have for free if any of yours are damaged

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
god please no arch extenders!!:(

so whats the delighted plans with this one ?

should be another awesome project on hands :approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
You can't get rid of ph1 AIDS i've heard. May as well stop fighting it and keep this one ;)

Any major plans Dave? Oh and FYI i've heard genuine williams decals aren't the cheapest :S N2Grafix FTW

Qashcow
well Christopher, I dont think anyone can argue that they genuinely are Rota ;) I was waiting for you to comment on that lol

I'm never sensible Willdot, even the MX5 ended up with welded diff, a cage (for a week) and a sub the size of the boot itself. tompin' bass blud.

I have a few ideas in mind for rear arches, I can genuinely say I dont think they have ever been attemped on a Clio before, ever. Now this may be down to the fact its a crazy/s**t idea but we'll see. I'm keeping it close to my heart at the moment though...

Few things I'd forgotten on the to do list, I need to write it here as i dont have a long enough black board at home

To do list;

1. remove rear spacers and machine rear caliper and anything else needed to get the wheels fitting.
2. add same -3 degrees camber to rear hubs and use new fixings (from old car).
3. butcher rear arches enough to get the 50profile tyres fitting with no scrubbage
4. fit new radiator/fix or replace the damaged bung outlet type thing (which my spare doesnt have...)
5. straighten up the front parts the bumper sits on, fit aero catches from old ph1
6. find/weld/fit/butcher an old cat for the MOT
7. sort electrical wiring - either new dials and bulbs or possibly a bad earth somewhere which could explain a few other things too
8. fit new bulb holders for the ph2 lights, already in the post from Sam
9. remove rear wiper mechanism, I hate rear wipers and never had a car with one. yucky things
10. then I need to look at fixing the paintwork on the rear arches
11. fit replacement power steering pump (already got)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
freestone will be w**king himself to death over that!

meh.jpg

thanks everyone :)
Fred, I picked this up the weekend me and Gray were with Boner, pulling his engine out. His wide wheels etc reminded me that F1's and turini's arent the only wheels that suit these things so was happy as larry when i put the two together :) , I'm going to try and keep this one

Picture1.jpg

Lose the balloon tyres dude.

yeah a stretch will help massively here, if you get the right stretch you may even not need to do that much archwork.....

absolutely love it, get some cf arch extenders, be the first, go onnnn!

20110507382XNJhPDul.jpg

maybe the second lol

just say ney......lol

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

your idea is far better...... i want to be there for it though....

53 Clio's & counting
Pmsl mate, knewc ou would be back in another one!

Just like me, il guarrantee by Summer next year il end up back in one - no plans at all to do that btw as i have so much to do on the Golf but the ph1 itch never goes.. L.

Qashcow
Thanks for the comments, it's helping me get on with it. Tonight I pulled the radiator out and fixed the leak in it but might just stick the rad out the sc'd Clio into it, at least I know it works fine...

Will pull out the aircon now as well, have been informed it doesn't work by previous owner and it's getting in my way. Got to swap the pas pump anyway so removing everything at once makes sense.

I think this car has lived by the sea sometime, I've snapped about 10 bolts just getting the front end apart. Super corrosion.

Pushed her in the garage now so I'm not weather dependant.

These wheels make the front brakes look a tasty size!

679288d9.gif

Qashcow
Ooooh yes you do. Am going to neaten up the wiring with the plastics from the old cars loom, want it to look more 'factory'