ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E21 Practice Shots

So as most of you know, I've recently picked up a Canon 500D, which I've been having a bit of a play with.

The other week, I grabbed a few shots of the E21 after some rain.

All taken on my Canon 50mm f/1.8

C+C welcome :)

10815621075_ecfe470045_c.jpg

10815622155_29980fab4e_c.jpg

10815758034_aab6408e03_c.jpg

10815627215_a1f6f78d13_c.jpg

Yeah, I'd like more DoF but at f/1.8 it's not very sharp, and I find the DoF is so shallow, most of the car looks out of focus.

Any way around this/anything I'm doing wrong?

More DoF = more things in focus.
Less DoF = blurred background/shallow area in focus etc.

Out of the bunch I'd say the first is my favourite, but the bit of blue roof poking out and heavy colour fringing between the tree and the blown out sky drew my eyes away from the subject pretty quickly. Also, using a CPL would work wonders on the windscreen!

Yeah, I'd like more DoF but at f/1.8 it's not very sharp, and I find the DoF is so shallow, most of the car looks out of focus.

Any way around this/anything I'm doing wrong?

Well at a large aperture it will be (shallow).

As for the sharpness, this is partly related to the quality of the lens. I dare say the 50mm 1.8 isn't the best quality lens, so it might not be as sharp as other lenses wide open. That's why pro lenses are mega bucks.

Yeah, my point is, to get a decent DoF, I'm using a larger aperture.

The problem is, it's so shallow that the car is out of focus in places, anything to do with the fact the background is so close?

I.e. If I were to have a greater distance between the car and the background, I'd be able to use a smaller aperture, keeping more of the car in focus, but the background still blurred?

Make sense or am I chatting s**t?!

I think so.

Theoretically, if there is a large distance between the car and the background, you could use a sufficient aperture so that the car is completely in focus and the background is blurred. How blurred will depend on the aperture itself.

However if you use a large aperture, you're always going to get parts blurred as the DoF will be very small/shallow. Nothing you can do about that.

It would be best if you post some examples to know exactly what you mean.

Yeah, that's fine, just as long as I am understanding it correctly.

I have a few at f1.8 and the headlights/front grille might be in acceptable focus, but even as shallow as the wheels/door handles/side windows are starting to look out of focus.

At f8.0 the whole car is pin sharp, and looks very good, but the DoF isn't shallow enough really, and the picture lacks effect.

It sounds like my driveway isn't the best location for photos, which doesn't come as a great surprise!

Nice photos.

How do you achieve more depth of field Reev?

When you say you want more depth of field, are you using the term in its proper meaning (as in more things in focus) or as in you want to isolate the subject from the background?

I think people are getting confused when talking about small and large apertures because their corresponding f numbers are the other way round, i.e. large apertures have small f numbers, (1.8 and lower; less things in focus/blurred background) whilst smaller apertures have larger f numbers (f8/11ish and higher; more things in focus/sharpness across the whole image).

I.e. If I were to have a greater distance between the car and the background, I'd be able to use a smaller aperture, keeping more of the car in focus, but the background still blurred?

Make sense or am I chatting s**t?!

You are right about being able to use distance to isolate the car from the background whilst keeping the car in focus, but I've found this quite difficult on a 50mm unless your background is a fair distance away. Using a longer lens is usually the easiest way round this in my experience.