ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blocking EGR Valve

Clio Dci100 Dynamique
The EGR valve on my Dci keeps on blocking up! i took it to renault a few months back whereupon they cleaned it for me and the problem went away, only to find in 3months it was back! :(

Am i gonna need to keep on having this cleaned every 3months or would replacing the unit for a new one improve things? How much would that be?

And also.....could i just remove it????? ;)

The cars done 57k btw.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
On 2.0 Vauxhall engines, it was possible to recreate the metal gasket out of a thin sheet of steel/tin but without the central holes cut out. This blocked the EGR but kept the valve in place as full disconnection and removal would throw up a fault code.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
ive heard of people blocking the pipe using a ball bearing?!?!

dont know how much pressure they create so not sure if thats a good idea or not :S

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
You can just unplug it that way it'll stay closed, you can also remove it, but for more info i suggest you take a look at www.dcioffice.net
There's loads of info on that topic there.

Megane 225
Basically you take it out, turn it round and put it in the other way. Or so a renault mechanic told me!:quiet:

E92 330
i had this problem but only when i put my foot down on the motorway. an independant garage told me that they could by pass this. decided to sell the car with out getting it done. think they bsaid about £50 to bypass, or renault quoted £215 to replace.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
if its anything like the ATR EGR valve, its a quick DIY job to clean the valve and clear the code. You can blank it off as said above, performance will improve, but you will have to live with the ECU light being on.

I've also had problems with my DCi 80 but it's OK at the moment (touch wood). Wrote to diesel car magazine and this was their reply:

"...if the valve were not opening at all, then your engine performance would be enhanced, albeit with higher exhaust temperatures, but from your comments, I can’t see this being the fault. Now don’t worry about your turbo – they’re made of pretty rugged materials, especially on the turbine side, so even if the exhaust gas were a bit hotter than normal, the turbo could cope. The only detrimental effect of higher exhaust and turbine temps is hotter bearings, so the engine oil needs to be in tip-top condition, to avoid an oil carbonisation in the turbo’s bearing housing, and bearing wear."

The one's in our DCi's work on some sort of "vacuum system" and were the last of their type because they were particularly weak. Newer EGR valves now work more mechanically rather than relying on gas pressure.

Try taking it to another garage if it goes wrong again. The second garage I took it too said, the wrong codes had been entered and like I said it's been great since. Good luck!

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
READ THIS!

http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14421

When an engine is under load, the very high combustion chamber temperatures produced will increase the amount of NOx. The problem was how to reduce it. The answer - the good ol' EGR valve. This was designed to allow carbon dioxide to be introduced into the combustion chambers as a "coolant" gas. Now like all things produced by man, this valve too had its problems. The EGR valve was designed to open and close at appropriate moments but it could get sticky or even stuck! If it was stuck open, you'd find the engine would have a rough idle or stall. If closed the combustion chamber temperatures would rise under load and you would get "knocking".

Now along comes the turbo. Turbos mean boost and this is created by exhaust gases. Turbos will seize if the exhaust gas temperatures get very high for longish periods as the lubrication will fail due to the increased heat. So if the EGR valve is stuck closed, you've got expensive problems in the pipeline!