ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bleeding Brakes- What tools

basic kit might be along these lines:
*Gunsons Easibleed* - Halfords
brake fluid
jar(s) for old fluid
ring spanner for bleed screws
spanners for hose removal
possibly, Plusgas/WD40 to help with hose removal

you could do away with the Easibleed but they make the whole operation so much easier and, if you're replacing all of the hoses, it allows you to attempt to suck the fluid through rather than pump it through a drained (and potentially unlubricated) master cylinder

mine's, i think, 8mm all round - best check your car to be sure though

be careful slackening the bleed screws too as, if they're seized and sheer off, you've had it and will likely need to renew the calipers (which aren't actually that expensive)

Ford Focus ST2
is there a guide on how to bleed the brakes as i need to do this at the weekend?

the Haynes manual is probably your best bet although, if you've not got much mechanical experience, it'd be a good idea to have someone who has done it before with you. it's not that it's a particularly difficult job - it's just that it's one that you shouldn't really be taking chances with

not being presumptious about anyone's experience - more of a general observation:)

Ford Focus ST2
my dad is going to do it, he has done it before but i wanna make sure he is doing it right.

does it make any differents if its abs or non abs?

i have been told that you undo the bleed nipple and then pump the brake pedel?

we are replacing all the fluid too not just bleeding!!!

a Haynes manual will do a much better job of explaining it than i can - doesn't even have to be a Clio manual as the procedure is much the same for most cars.

i'd recommend an Easibleed though - the two-man method is deadly dull; these Easibleed things are one-man and make the whole thing so much easier. i think they're about £15 in Halfords.

Not a poxy Renault
Make sure you use the 'ring' end of the spanner to undo the bleed nipple, because they are so small (8mm) they will round off easily with a open ended spanner. Just take your time and be thorough, as said above, invest in an 'easibleed' they make the job soo much easier

RS mk2 172
It makes no difference whether you car has abs or not you will always bleed from the furthest away wheel from the master cylinder.
While the actual sequence is not critical to the bleed performance it is easy to remember the sequence as the farthest to the closest. This will also allow the system to be bled in such a way as to minimize the amount of potential cross-contamination between the new and old fluid.