ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blackberry with pay-as-you-go Sim?

MG ZS180 Mk2
I quite like the Blackberry phones (8700 maybe) but just want to use it with a vodaphone PAYG sim. I don't want to use it for email, just as a normal phone.
Can you do this?

Ph-Sold!
You can't mean the 8700 surely? Yes, you can use any BB as a normal phone without email etc

Revels Mum & Sister
LOL waste of time. Blackberry interface is pretty poor unless you email a lot. Dont bother

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Got a shed load of Blackberrys we manage at work, top phones and software package, vodafone kinda let it down slightly though.

I wouldnt have one unless I had email on it though..

Ph-Sold!
I really like the BlackBerry O/S, way better than the Sony W960i and N-series IMO. Just seems logical and responsive

Got a shed load of Blackberrys we manage at work, top phones and software package, vodafone kinda let it down slightly though.

You what?
BES is absolutely awful.

My main advice to anyone is get a phone with Activesync (providing they use Exchange) and be done with it.. :p

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
BES isnt awful at all its miles ahead of VBE, we 'upgraded' to VBE and it was a total nightmare and we only have 30 clients!, problems all over the show, now back with BES a much more stable platform.

Also didnt help that all the VBE devices battery life with GPRS on constantly was dire, our Blackberrys last for around a week no probs.

Ph-Sold!
I have the pleasure of managing ours, it's a Xeon with 2GB, have about 360 BB running through it at the moment. Have to use Remote Desktop Connection to access it which is a bit an ache.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

You what?
BES is absolutely awful.

My main advice to anyone is get a phone with Activesync (providing they use Exchange) and be done with it.. :p

Problem with Exchange/MS mobile offering atm is it's great for your email, crap for management :p Until SCMDM is out (and is that going to work/do everything first time?) you've either got to use another third party app like Intellisync for management and something like Safeguard for security :p

So having worked with mobile devices for a long time BES isn't *that* bad for the workplace, it's simple and works pretty easily.

Obviously only matters in a corp environment :)

Well, What sort of things can BES do that the current ActiveSync can't?
There's not much.... really.... :p

But sure, SCMDM will own all... ;)

And, with the invent of iPhone Enterprise.. and the wide range of new WM phones coming out.. it's only going to get even better :D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Well, What sort of things can BES do that the current ActiveSync can't?
There's not much.... really.... :p

But sure, SCMDM will own all... ;)

And, with the invent of iPhone Enterprise.. and the wide range of new WM phones coming out.. it's only going to get even better :D

Depends, I'm talking more from a device management point of view which is nothing to do with what the OP wants. The question should be, bar password policies (which I believe using the SMS MFP you can set remotely) what can you do management wise remotely with Exchange :p ?

I've only really used the exchange method where I'm working now, and after 5 years I'm in a job where I'm not the person running the mobile stuff so it's nice sitting back for a change and just being given one to use :p

Although they have realised that they can't actually manage their devices and know I've had experience with this which might explain the questions they are asking abotu what they should do :) Personally I'd say hodl out till the MS solution is ready, don't spend out on Intellisync unless you really need something now. I don't rate any other mobile management systems out ther eat the moment.

Last edited:
  Ph-Sold!
Can't see too many companies shelling out for iPhones as BlackBerry replacements for a looooooooong time lol