ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Ph1

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I sold my silver Ph1 in early Summer and bought a 225 TT, really didn't enjoy owning the TT but that is another story. I decided I wanted another 172 and it was going to be either a black Ph1 or a Cup, I'd really enjoyed owning my previous 172's and just thought it would be good to stick with what I know. That may sound a little boring and the image attached to clio's isn't great but in terms of running costs and fun for your money I think they take a bit of beating.

So I looked at a couple of Cups, but both were a bit rough to say the least. Then a black Ph1 cropped up on Pistonheads with 59k, FSH, belts done 9 months previously a months tax and 9 months MOT. So I went to view it!

On inspection an arch liner was missing, horn had water in it, Cd player didn't work, radiator had a dent in it, there were a couple of scratches to front bumper and the paint was coming away on all of the wheels but they were wrapped in nearly new matching Toyos. It felt really tight and responsive to drive, the gearbox had recently had an oil change with the linkages "lubed".

So I made an offer and took the car off the guys hands!

Got it home and gave her a good clean inside and out, the old girl came up well! Afew swirls here and there but nothing more than you'd expect on a 9 year old car.

Standard apart from a double barrel Magnex "zorst" and clear side repeaters, which were genuine Renault.

1a.jpg

4a.jpg

Although I had a receipt for the belts being doing it didn't include a full Aux belt kit and after a week of ownership the aux belt bearing started to whine like a b*tch! So Ryan at NW Performance fitted a full Gen Ren Aux belt kit, top service! I also replaced the top drivers side engine mount.

The wheels were letting it down so I bought Laz's 182 wheels.

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

Wasn't sure about them, considered getting them powdercoated black but the tyre price of 16's put me off in the end. But atleast I could now get the Oz's refurbed without losing the car. So off to the powder coaters I went with the intention of getting them done black but just as i was handing the wheels over had a change of heart and picked RAL3001 (Red).

red2.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

red3.jpg

Got them back and I really wasn't sure and ended up listing them on here for sale. No concrete interest so I thought I'd bang them on and see if it would change my mind.

r4.jpg

r3.jpg

I really liked them and was glad I hadn't sold them, although the ride height didn't really suit the wheels. So it was booked into NW Performance to have some KTR coilovers fitted. I had seen the Boombastic coilovers, in fact I think I may have been the first to mention them on here but I just thought for that bit extra I'd get coilovers from a UK supplier.

I also painted my side badges and got some Ph2 lights.

22012010549.jpg

4-10.jpg

6-8.jpg

8-4.jpg

So I still need a horn, archliner and a fog light. It's also developted a knocking noise under load, replaced a ball joint and I don't think it's the engine mounts. Booked in at a garage in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Maybe a 172 Cup..
Really like the black phs 1 and car looks very tidy mate. I'll be more than happy if I find one similar over the next month or so. Have to say though really not a fan of the red on wheels or badges, but each to their own and fair play for been different. Whereabouts in Wakey you from, will have to look out for you...

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Really like the black phs 1 and car looks very tidy mate. I'll be more than happy if I find one similar over the next month or so. Have to say though really not a fan of the red on wheels or badges, but each to their own and fair play for been different. Whereabouts in Wakey you from, will have to look out for you...

I suppose they are a bit bold, but they have really grown on me. I'm living near Heckondwike at the minute, so you might see me round and about.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Will keep my eyes open mate.Although I'm in Dewsbury I use a garage in Heckmondwike.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks mint, but then i always like colours on silver/black cars.

Seems a good price too :)

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Looks mint, but then i always like colours on silver/black cars.

Seems a good price too :)

Cheers, just been reading your thread and it sounds like you got a bargain too!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
The garage today told me it was too low and that it needed to be raised "afew mill" to stop the nearside driveshaft catching a panel above it. This didn't seem right as I've seen Ph1's lower on here. But I decided to remove a plastic cover above the driveshaft and file down the panel that they claimed it was catching on to give the driveshaft more clearance. But this didn't solve the knocking noise, I think I'll replace the top mounts next.

Too low?
6-9.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at bringing my lights back to their former glory, they were looking yellow around the top.
1-14.jpg

They came up quite well and only took a couple of minutes for each side.
2-14.jpg

The steering wheel was also letting the side down so I bought a replacement.
3-10.jpg

The new one is a MOMO Corse with red stitching, seemed ideal when it cropped up on pistonheads costing £40 delivered. There's not a mark on it either! Cheers to Dangerous Dave for the boss kit.
5-11.jpg

4-11.jpg

Megane 225
Cars looking awesome with the red wheels mate. My PH1 is about 10-20mil lower than yours and my shafts dont knock, the top mounts do from time to time though. How did you get rid of the yellow on the headlights?

Last edited:

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Yeh I don't think the ride height is an issue.

I love the steering wheel, I had a suede OMP one in my last ph1 but this feels a fair bit better.

Thanks to Topgeartom on here for his fitting guide, came in handy!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cars looking awesome with the red wheels mate. My PH1 is about 10-20mil lower than yours and my shafts dont knock, the top mounts do from time to time though. How did you get rid of the yellow on the headlights?

I used this green paper I found at work. It's used by engineering companies for finishing metal components, it's got like a fibreglass weave on the back. Think it's fairly expensive but it did the job.

Megane 225
I used this green paper I found at work. It's used by engineering companies for finishing metal components, it's got like a fibreglass weave on the back. Think it's fairly expensive but it did the job.

Cheers buddy, think my mates dad has some of that!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
looks sound, red wheels are different but good!

any more plans for it?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cheers!

Yeh I'm sure there will be afew more changes. I might even get some different wheels.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Sorted the knocking noise out yesturday. I re-fitted the engine cover with some s/steel bolts and thought I would have a go at adjusting the engine mount to see if it made any difference. I slackend the 4 bolts and pulled the black piece forward which has done the trick.

v4.jpg

I've also designed some subframes for my seats. I took a model done by Meek Racing (cheers mate) and then did a new one using materials that were available to me, going to have a test fit next weekend.

v3.jpg

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

Gave her a clean too.

v2.jpg

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
v2.jpg

This makes me want to wind my coilovers down.

Cba though, do it for me and sort out my tracking ;)

Edit: Plate is digital TV ! :D