ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black brake disks that stay black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I've got black alloys and have a choice of bare metal discs or the same in black finish, which should I go for?

I'm trying to imagine what the disc would look like after the black has worn off (presumedly unevenly and only in certain places). Will it look more tatty than if I'd just gone for the bare metal in the first place?

after use, the friction surfaces of the disc will look no different had they started out coloured or uncoloured - either way, they'll end up with bare metal surfaces where the pads have worn the disc.

you can get discs that are coloured (black) on the non friction bearing surfaces but i don't know how well that coating withstands corrosion - i'd guess not very well as discs are very exposed and, due to the metals used in their construction, they rust readily.

M2 Competition
Nah they're a normal steel colour fella. Just not as shiny as some. Ive got some on at the moment, look like standard discs with a pattern on tbh.

To answer all of your brake threads in one, get either brembo max, or brembo hc's.

Hc's will look oem, max will offer slightly better fade resistance, at the cost of slightly faster pad wear.

M2 Competition
My mates orange gallardo has dark anthracite wheels. Everyone looks at his silver discs and sighs, you do have a point.

Anyway, why do you want those discs?

Anyway, why do you want those discs?

I'm not sure, I just feel stangely attracted to the company.

They're very new
They seem like nice folks, having spoken to them on the phone
The cool factor of having brakes that have been cryogenically frozen
Massive potential sitcom confusion arising during discussions about 'frozen brakes'
Advertised 3x life (large pinch of salt needed)
Proven performance of similar products in the racing market.
They make the discs to order, in batches, specifically for your car.

Predominantly though I'm intrigued as how good they are, as there is very little info or reviews online so far (a few can be found with lots of searching, mostly good).

I like to get stuff that not many other people have got yet. What better item to casually test than some new-on-the-market brakes at 120mph?! :dead:

One thing I do need to make sure before I order the rear ones is that I have discs at the back, and not drums. Anyone know for sure? N reg 96 mk1 1.2L

M2 Competition
LOL! i thought these were going on a track car the way you asked so many questions!

How do you aim to do 120mph in a mk1 1.2 clio? :S

Got her to 113 once, with the wind behind me (jacket potato and beans for tea). Reckon 120 is achievable downhill! Glad you found my car so funny, thanks! :rasp:

One thing I do need to make sure before I order the rear ones is that I have discs at the back, and not drums. Anyone know for sure? N reg 96 mk1 1.2L
You will have drums at the rear, you do not need anything fancy at the rear at all, stock (standard) brakes will be totally fine.

You will have drums at the rear.

100% sure? Sorry, but need confirmation from others too. Putting a big order in as soon as shops open as have to get car fixed in time for MOT retest.

Btw, I know standard will do, but I like to treat her. Also planning a big engine transplant in 5 months.

Will the front discs actually fit inside the rims?

Would have thought so if they're advertised as compatable. Why do you think they wouldn't be?

M2 Competition
I'll have to check in daylight.

I'm not questioning that my rears are drums, but why then do they seem to supply Nitrac discs for my car. See 4th one down:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...enaultclio&manufacturer=nitrac&sub_category=1

Renault Clio (B/C57) (90>98), Rear Disc (Non ABS) **, 90>5/98

Because that doesnt specify an engine size, or spec. The higher models may have discs fitted at the rear.

Without being funny mate, those discs wont make a shred of difference to your stopping power.

They wont even look that good, just like drum brakes.

Because that doesnt specify an engine size, or spec. The higher models may have discs fitted at the rear.

Without being funny mate, those discs wont make a shred of difference to your stopping power.

They wont even look that good, just like drum brakes.

Fair enough. I'm guessing the market for performance drums is rather thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.