ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 Vs GAZ GHA

FF Clio 182
Currently looking on the market for some coilovers to replace my tired old struts. On CookSport springs at the moment but the standard strut have had it so car is a bit all over the place.

Seen that the B14s can be ordered from Germany at £480, compared to the GAZ ones that come in at around £580.

I like the GAZ ones as they now come with rear adjustable coilovers compared to the Bilsteins that are struts and springs.

Nobody can give me a true answer so I just want people's opinions and experiences on either. Don't really want to be paying £1000 for coilovers and it's not much more expensive than replacing the struts to OE.

Noticed that a lot of the GAZ parts are serviceable where the Bilsteins are not.

Thanks

Not much point in accepting poor coilovers just because they're cheaper to refurb! I've read nothing but poor comments regarding the Gaz damping. I'm also now considering coilovers but worried the Billies may be too soft for track work.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Personally i'd say so.

I preach so much about Billies for the road but for track i'd definitely want something harder.

Was looking into trying to source some different rate springs to stiffen them up a tad, Bilstein mentioned it themselves when I told them I bound the springs on the carousel! As the damping is amazing on them id say it's defo worth a shot for certain tracks??

Like Dan says amazing on the road and from my experience amazing on the Ring (minus the carousel)

FF Clio 182
I just don't like the idea of non adjustable dampeners on the Bilsteins. That was why I looked at GAZ GHA as i know they do. From what I seen, you should avoid GAZ Gold but GHA are ok ...

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I havent tried GAZ coilovers or ever been in a car with them but I have bilstein B14's on my car and the road ride quality is fantastic, I dont do many track days so they are perfect for me.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I'm pretty sure I paid £60 for each standard front strut for the 182 direct from Renault... New bearings etc didn't break the bank either..

£100 for 2 or fronts or £480 or £1000 for full kits, hmmmmmm decisions eh..

Just checked the Renault parts website £50 for each front shock, same for the rear, from fitting kits are £35 a pop.. Maybe the Renault dealer here can give another 10% off or so...

The b14s sounds awesome, I was looking at them, but the OE handlings great and cheaper..

Last edited:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Lots of people are being their opinions on the old gaz, the new ones with rear coilovers are much improved, also 2 year warranty

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not much point in accepting poor coilovers just because they're cheaper to refurb! I've read nothing but poor comments regarding the Gaz damping. I'm also now considering coilovers but worried the Billies may be too soft for track work.
Unfortunately bilsteins are too soft imo for track work. Blinding bit of kit for fast road though. @Cub. will no doubt back this comment up.

30k a year stick to struts coilovers are not designed for that much road use
Yeah I agree with this 100%. You'd be getting them refurbed every year!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Lots of people are being their opinions on the old gaz, the new ones with rear coilovers are much improved, also 2 year warranty
Unfortunately mate they brought it on themselves by putting a s**t product out in the marketplace. It takes years to build up a good name and only seconds to destroy it. Gaz have a lot of reputation rebuilding to do imo.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I never see anyone mention on here about the play b14's can develop in the top of the strut.

I had b14's and loved them. Pointless on a road car I've learnt though. Start getting leaky shocks etc and it becomes a pain in the ass for pretty unusable gains.

Decent springs and fresh cup shocks is more than good enough, unless you want to go quite low in which case the billies aren't great. All just an opinion though of course :).

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I never see anyone mention on here about the play b14's can develop in the top of the strut.

I had b14's and loved them. Pointless on a road car I've learnt though. Start getting leaky shocks etc and it becomes a pain in the ass for pretty unusable gains.

Decent springs and fresh cup shocks is more than good enough, unless you want to go quite low in which case the billies aren't great. All just an opinion though of course :).
I disagree mate, I spoke to Bilstein before I bought mine last year.
They said if there where any problems with there b14's then it would have been sorted.

And as far as "lows" how love do you want to go.

1f83b3c12794553dcb8d9764e0bbd491.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Bilsteins are brilliant for road use with the occasional track day. I have had mine on a while and they've never missed a beat. If it was a choice between the two OP, I'd go billies.

However, as @NorthloopCup highlights I am due to swap them as the car has become more dedicated to track work they are just too soft;

f64021c5beefff8cebdb25d0206d332d.jpg

85980a2d70224df92e0ab8aee3c26088.jpg

I'm swapping to AST 5200 with custom spring rates, but that's a whole different price discussion and I'd only recommend for a car that is a dedicated track car / limited mileage else it just isn't worth the price.

FF Clio 182
Can you get different spring ratings for the Bilsteins ?

Still on the fence as to which ones to get [emoji30]

As said previously, I like the Bilsteins but I want something a bit firmer and due to the rears not being adjustable if they ain't firm enough then it's tough luck. Might have to look at Bilsteins and a rear ARB

I guess it really depends what you use the car for? B14 are more then good enough for road use, and have a great reputation.
But for track, depends how much your car is used on track.
I'd find something else for track.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
How many track days will you do per year and what supporting mods have you got i.e extra power, sticky tyres, weight reduction, brake setup?

Coilovers no matter what anyone claims will need rebuilding on a road car sooner than a standard strut

And that goes for 5k ohlins or 200 quid chinese copies

As for changing springs you van change springs for higher rates on any coilover out there faulkner springs sell every length and poundage you could want

What you actually need is a whole new packet of crisps

FF Clio 182
Running Nankang NS-2R tyres and soon to be 4 pot brembos.

Can't see me doing massive amount of track days in a year just want something a big more aggressive, not massively bothered about comfort

Just want something that keeps the car stable and flat in the corners. Don't want to spend £500 on Bilstein for them to be just as good as standard struts.

GAZ come with 2 year warranty so won't be an issue if they need rebuilding. Just once you add the price of shocks then might as well get coilovers

Last edited:
  R5gtt, 182, volvo...
£250 for standard struts but might as spunk £500??

I'm known to waste money, I have 2 sets of new koni's, 2 bad a55 turbos and a stack of other performance parts for a car that's sat 5 years...

Yet I don't see the sense in buying coilovers.. You want them, don't need them and I'm not gonna say they're value for money because they aren't..

I've had gaz coilovers on my gtt and if I'm honest to myself they were sh1te.. Hence my 2 sets or normal koni struts for it..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Can you get Koni struts for Cup pack 182 ?
I just goggled 182 koni and europerformance something or other has good old koni yellows...

On some cars people rave about them being awesome, but I guess it's compared against OE.. The question would be, who has koni yellow, are they better and do they pair well with the cooksports..

Not sure if the dampening adjustable, you'll have to read into then... I'd rather then over coilovers, less hassle, less fking about and I'm not interesting in slamming yo...

FF Clio 182
Yeah I googled Koni and couldn't find any with 60mm bolt spacing. That's why I asked.

I currently have a pair of Cooksports so would be a good package

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Yeah I googled Koni and couldn't find any with 60mm bolt spacing. That's why I asked.

I currently have a pair of Cooksports so would be a good package

Tweeks have them, can't see the tech specs but a call to them should find out, then you'll have the part number to hunt for a cheaper price is have thought...

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Are those Avo's in the same price bracket as the Bilsteins or Gaz's?

I've been out in cars that have both. Don't listen to the slate, Gaz are decent for the money. They ride nice and gripped well. The service and refurbish turnaround is great too but I'd still go with the Bilsteins. They feel better quality, look better quality and although they don't have damping adjustability, they didn't need it. Felt perfect for the road and handled well, plus I personally think they are a better brand to have/own.

Unfortunately mate they brought it on themselves by putting a s**t product out in the marketplace. It takes years to build up a good name and only seconds to destroy it. Gaz have a lot of reputation rebuilding to do imo.
Yup, I've had 3 or 4 in this year with the new type of coilovers that were all fucked. one of them were less than 1000miles and was knocking like f**k!