ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BEWARE, LOW MILEAGE LIQUID YELLOW CLIO 182 VO54 FFZ

RS
Irecently purchased a Liquid Yellow Clio 182 on 30k from Robin and James atProline Performance in Milton Keynes.

Onfirst inspection, all looked good, and it was the only Liquid Yellow 182 thathad the factory sat nav fitted, so I went away pretty happy at £5250.

Duringmy commute to work I notice a slight knocking noise, with it being a new car Ihad wanted to get it checked over anyway, so this spurred me on to take it toFred @ BTM in Birmingham. I am very particular about who touches my cars, butit would appear Fred is the expert in all things Clio based so I was happy totrust him with my new purchase.

Duringthis inspection we make the first rather odd discovery. A stray sensor on thedrive shaft, that leads to a whole load of weird looking bits and pieces boltedbeneath the dashboard and to the pedals. On closer inspection it would appearthis is a kit to electronically operate the clutch that has been fitted andhalf removed. Perhaps not the end of the world but I would rather not have allthat on my car.

70927ad3.jpg

088d884e.jpg

625bcf4a.jpg

We thenmoved on to looking at the engine bay, which is when Fred gave me the brilliantnews that my 2004 182 in fact had a phase 1 172 engine.

047ec81c.jpg

A fullreport on this is being written by Fred, and I am sure that he will make thisavailable for anyone who wishes to read it.

I willnot go in to complete detail, but eventually I was able to settle on a returnfigure of £5000. I don't doubt that I was within my rights for a full refundbased on breach of contract due to breaking the Sale of Goods Act 1979, howevera settlement of £5000 meant there were no court costs or extended periods ofwaiting without a car to get around in.

The daybefore I returned the car, and whilst still in discussion as to the amount thatwould be returned to me, I found this advert.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/liquid-yellow-182-immaculate-sat-nav-fully-loaded-low-miles-milton-keynes-5795/96826044[/FONT]

Youwill spot that those pictures match the ones on my Photobucket account, thatthe seller requested to ensure that the car had not been damaged in any waywhilst in my ownership. You will also spot that it is still being advertised asa 182 with cup packs. It does not have cup packs, and it does not have a 182engine. The seller is aware of both of these points.

Myphotobucket album -

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/axxnxxdxxy/Clio 182 Inspection/

RB 182
You know where I stand on the issue mate, and it's a total joke they're selling it off your driveway and whilst it was still in your possession!!!

Mk1 Focus RS
gutted for you pal!

least youve got most of your money back for it and thanks to your post, hopefully no one on CS will think about buying it.

just feel bad for the poor sod who does end up with it.

Ibiza FR Edition
I swear I had a look at this on the Internet before I bought mine, that really sucks glad you got most of your money back, great spot Fred.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
What a c*ck-

How would he have knowledge & use of your photobucket album though?

Although he *MAY* not have had knowledge of the Phase 1 Engine from the first sale, he certainly should have sorted it out for the next one-

S

Ironic how a dodgy car like that can be one letter off 'VOSA FFS' on the numberplate. Couldn't make that s**t up!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
That really is disgusting.

Anyway you can report the company?, we should all email him him make him really panick. Kn0b!

Lionel Richie
it had been converted for someone with no left leg (electronically activated clutch!)

and the engine was a 2001 phs1 172 complete with an over tight cambelt and a few oil leaks, looked like it had done 80Kmiles approx!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
did the Phase 1 engine have the fly by wire throttle cable?

Surely he must have known about the clutch, especially when the previous owner on the logbook was S.Hawkin.
S

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's properly mental! Lucky you and of course Fred ftw!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I was interested in this when I saw it on pistonheads before I got the ST, glad I gave it a wide berth now, will be interesting to read the full report if it is posted up here

pimp mobile Zafira
What a plank. I can't believe they are trying to sell it still as a 182. Also looks like they've pulled the advert.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I've just text him asking if he can confirm that the electronic clutch and Ph1 engine are in good working order. Also asked him if he plans to fit cup packs before sale as it currently has none.

Utter c*nt!

Lionel Richie
I didn't charge Andy a penny for any of this by the way, kinda felt sorry for him, but now you've got £5K in your back burner..............................................lend me a £5er? ;)

RS
I didn't charge Andy a penny for any of this by the way, kinda felt sorry for him, but now you've got £5K in your back burner..............................................lend me a £5er? ;)

Big props to Fred for the help with this :)

I will lend you a fiver when we sort out the replacement ;)

He had access to the pictures on my photobucket page as I sent the link to them when he requested the pictures.

Yes it was the same one as the other thread that has been linked.

Mk1 Focus RS
I've just text him asking if he can confirm that the electronic clutch and Ph1 engine are in good working order. Also asked him if he plans to fit cup packs before sale as it currently has none.

Utter c*nt!

ha legend.

wonder if you will get a reply!

Lionel Richie
Vehicle Report

Customer - Andrew Morley
Vehicle - Renault clio 182 - VO54 FFZ
Mileage - 32160

Mr Morley recently visited us so we could inspect a knocking noise coming from the front suspension, during conversation with Mr Morley he asked if we would cast our eye over the entire vehicle whilst it was in the workshop and see if the vehicle was mechanically sound incase of any future problems he may encouter with the vehicle (brakes, ball joint etc etc)

On first glance the car is in very good condition bodywork wise, the liquid gold paintwork was a factory option (cira £1100) and certainly offers the wow factor!

Unfortunatley for Mr Morley the bodywork is the only good thing we found with the car.

After removal of the engine undertray the starter motor heatshield was found sitting on the undertray, not where it should be! - a strange inital problem we thought! On inspection of the heatshield it seems to have been damaged, repaired poorly and then not fitted back onto the car properly (impossible to do without unbolting the exhaust manfold from the cylinder head).

starter motor heatsheild image - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=fcf4a305.jpg

We also found a wheel speed sensor had been fitted very poorly to the OSF inner half shaft bearing, this certainly was an after market part, what was it doing there?

driveshaft sensor image - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=45cfd0b7.jpg

We traced the wire back through the bulkhead into the vehicle and to our surprise found a very bizzare installation under the passenger footwell carpet and strange moddifications to the foot pedal on the drivers side

passenger footwell installation image - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=70927ad3.jpg
clutch pedal moddification image - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=83640b0f.jpg

chain mechanism behind clutch pedal image - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=625bcf4a.jpg

After a bit of investigation we found the car had been installed with an electronically activated "twin clutch" aka - the vehicle at some point had been moddified for disabled user.

The problems highlighted thus far are relativley easy to rectify, removal of the motability unit we estimate at approx 3 hours, a new starter motor heat shield is £48 and takes 1.3 hours to fit.

On further inspection of the engine bay we found a few relativley major issues - the main one being that this 2004/2005 182 (F4R 738 engine) car has been fitted with a 2001 engine from the older 172 (F4R 730/2/6 engine)

as you can see from the following images -

note the raised breather tube in the middle at the back 172 engines had this, 182's did not - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=047ec81c.jpg

To compare, a 182 engine looks like this - http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/Fredmrsclio/?action=view&current=182engine.jpg

date sticker on the rear of the block (VO54) ending in 01 - http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/... Inspection/?action=view&current=20982ca8.jpg

Without doubt this car VO54 has been fitted with the incorrect engine and isn't worth anywhere near market value

I ramble on for a bit longer, but you get the idea ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I wonder if the mileage is genuine if its had a new engine at only 32k... ( Or new old engine as the case may be)

S

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it. I'm guessing it was listed quickly to get rid of it before word spread.

Mk5 Golf GTI
s**t... Its lucky you spotted that so quickly and its good you got your money back. maybe had a belt fail and cheap repair just to sell it on ?

My advice would be to remove the photos from your photobucket acount incase the idiot has directly linked them from it and report the car to the DVLA.
Chances are excellent that he hasn't told them about the change of engine.

I think this thread should be stickied for the time being so any potential buyer who comes on here will see it.

RS
Dwoolford I think you are right regarding the cheap repair. I don't believe it was the person I bought it from as they had the belts done not long before I purchased it, so chances are it happened before they had the car.

I got in touch with consumer advice as soon as I found out I had a problem, and they passed everything to trading standards who I believe check with the DVLA. I will leave the pictures where they are, if they appear in another advert for the car it's only another tie for it to the information here.

Mk5 Golf GTI
its just lucky you got someone who knows what there looking at to look at it, could have been a right nightmare a year down the line

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
well, If Id have purchased that car from the dealer then found that out I would have noted the old name & address- maybe got in contact...

Im not sticking up for the dealer-- but with an engine cover its unlikely they new about the engine, as for that mutant thing by the clutch pedal- it sticks out like a sore thumb...

I wonder where proline bought it from..

I would hazard a guess it went through some form of auction..- whether that be legit or non legit- & they have been tucked up by not checking the car-

S

That's shocking, and even more shocking that the garage are trying to pull a fast one on the next unlucky person who goes for it.

Are you going to take any further action or is that about it now? Would be nice to see that garage get a bit of karma going their way to be honest!