ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best way to drive to save petrol

Clio 172 Cup
Echo - echo - echo...

nemo-dory.jpg

I'll give you that, F5 would have been my friend here :eek:

Clio
Drive as fast as you can, the faster you drive the quicker you get there the less fuel you use. Time = money = fuel.

Iceberg 172
I get 200 miles from £50 v power, change gear just before the limiter all city driving. Will be doing a 200 mile motorway trip on Wednesday the trip comp usually says 37mpg but I'll work it out properly.

Does the cruise control really make much of a difference I would have thought it would better your mpg as long as you didn't touch it just did 70mph all the way

200 miles to £50 is more like 20mpg. I worked mine out and it's about 25mpg.

Fabia vrs tdi
Sorry I meant when I stick cc on and drive 200 miles I get around 37mpg but recently had front o2 sensor replaced so I'm aiming for 40mpg. 20mpg is Ok considering I get stuck at traffic lights every 10 seconds and I floor it 70% of the time

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Smiles per gallon for me :)

<180 miles for £68 but i choose to ignore that as much as possible!

MCS R56
Been there, done that, bought another 1*2. Neglible saving imho.

I wondered about this but I used to get between 350-380 miles from my Cup (50 litre fuel tank) and I just managed 415 miles in my Cupra (45 litre tank).

That's a fair difference, especially at today's fuel prices.

But to the OP, you need think about getting rid if you are concerned about using fuel in the Clio, as it's a very reasonable car in terms of fuel consumption, even when booted. It's probably best in class, although the new MCS is very good on fuel. Sounds to me like you are struggling to afford the running costs...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I wondered about this but I used to get between 350-380 miles from my Cup (50 litre fuel tank) and I just managed 415 miles in my Cupra (45 litre tank).

That's a fair difference, especially at today's fuel prices.

For me, at 30k a year, the diff between my clio doing 37mpg & a derv doing 47mpg is £95 a month in fuel. That doesnt take into account the higher servicing/more to break of a diesel...

Id rather drive the clio tbh.

Fabia vrs tdi
I just checked my tyre pressure the rears were at 33 now at 31 and the fronts are at 33 - rears are meant to be at 30 but will have a full car load tommorow going for a weekend away

MCS R56
For me, at 30k a year, the diff between my clio doing 37mpg & a derv doing 47mpg is £95 a month in fuel. That doesnt take into account the higher servicing/more to break of a diesel...

Id rather drive the clio tbh.

Fair enough but my derv is definitely cheaper to run than the Clio. The last service was below £200, on par with what the Clio cost and the insurance is the same too. Tax is cheaper on the derv, though.

As far as something breaking, that's not a cost unless it happens, so cannot be added to the running costs.

For saving on fuel though, I'm finding it a good bit cheaper in the diesel, and I'm only doing maybe 7000 miles per year.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
With Reguards to fuel costs, i've done 28k in my 182 in the 20ish months i've had it

At 32.73MPG that works out at £4508 in fuel (priced at 115.9)

If i had a car that did 50MPG it works out at

50.01 MPG Works out at £3001 (priced at 117.9)

So a saving of £1508

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Its not just the revs that you change at lol. Its how much you depress the throttle.

mpg gauge ftw.

This.

Change gear at whatever revs you like, and you'll still get s*it MPG if you press the loud pedal too hard.

As Chris said, the actual revs that you use makes almost no difference at all to how much fuel you use.

It's acceleration that uses fuel, and that's determined by how hard you press the throttle and how often you brake.

Press the throttle less, look ahead and read the road more so you can brake less. Instant +5 mpg guaranteed.

Listerine & Poledo
use engine braking wherever you can.

I could easiy be wrong but is it right that if you're letting the engine decelerate itself, it's not using any fuel at all?

MCS R56
use engine braking wherever you can.

I could easiy be wrong but is it right that if you're letting the engine decelerate itself, it's not using any fuel at all?

Surely the engine is still on, therefore using fuel?!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ as long as your coasting in gear it doesn't use any fuel (apparently)

Guys seriously if you engine break you are reving more and you are using more fuel, simples.

Coasting you use same amount of fuel as if you were sat outside your house warming it up.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Brake and Braking FFS

Engine uses no fuel when coasting in gear, it uses some when it's not in gear to stop it's self stalling.

car doing 60mph in second uses no fuel if coasting slowing down in gear

60mph not in gear uses fuel to keep the engine ticking over.

Yea the fuel cut off in gear when decelerating reduces fuel usage to less than that of idle.

It isn't just throttle position, less revs uses less fuel for the same throttle, but you don't want to labour the engine, but the 182 does drive well under 2000rpm on light throttle. Mine averaged (long term) just under 34mpg. Including commuting and town driving, but was never really driven that hard.

Cruise control is good for maintaining speed and does help if you have a tendency to creep up over speed. You can theoretically better cruise control but it is a bit of a cheat as the driver may lift slightly under inclines which means speeds drop whereas the cruise will maintain the set speed regardless of incline. But on a long journey it wouldn't make much difference, plus the average speed would be what you set it at.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My cc makes massive difference, I reckon I loose 2mpg using it on the motorway.

RS Clio 182
My cc makes massive difference, I reckon I loose 2mpg using it on the motorway.

Seems odd? But i guess as said about it will keep your speed even on inclines etc when drivers sometimes dont match for the hill.

2 Litre = higher fuel bills, surely you have to accept this.