ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Track/Race base car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen lots of project threads of people building track or race cars, and I know that a clio sport is a good track car out of the box.

I am thinking of going racing next year so which model of clio does everyone think is the best base to start from if you were going to be building a track/race car?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Clio out of the box is a fantastic low budget trackday car.

They make TERRIBLE race cars though IMHO as there are too many things which are expensive to upgrade, mainly that the engines dont want to rev far (ie past 8k) the boxes are fragile and diffs are expensive, and the ratios arent great either.

For a trackday toy, I woudl choose a 172 over just about anything else in the price range, but for going racing I wouldnt go near one personally.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Clio speaking. 172 cup no doubt for me.

Yeah all the extras that the non cup has like aircon and leather will be going in the bin anyway, and the cup has some minor suspension upgrades that are worth having, bottom arms most notably.

Have a read through the racecar threads on here and assess the cost. As Chip says, great for trackdays but I dread to think how much someone like Tony and Jay @burpspeed's set up actually costs lol!

Could be done much cheaper in a 1600 series, Citroen/Pug would be the cheaper option. Alternatively something like an E36 328i always strikes me as a budget base car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, thats a very good point about buying one already done, building a race car from scratch is a VERY expensive indulgence when you look at how little what you end up with could be bought already done for.

That's probably good advise.

I definitely want to go racing next year and reliability is a big factor.

I have a Primera GT Saloon which I have always wanted to do something with and the SR20 engines in those have a fairly short stroke and are fairly bomb proof.

Maybe keep the clio for track days and convert the primera into a race car then.

Clio out of the box is a fantastic low budget trackday car.

They make TERRIBLE race cars though IMHO as there are too many things which are expensive to upgrade, mainly that the engines dont want to rev far (ie past 8k) the boxes are fragile and diffs are expensive, and the ratios arent great either.

For a trackday toy, I woudl choose a 172 over just about anything else in the price range, but for going racing I wouldnt go near one personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.