ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best thing to use to wash my black Clio other than a sponge? (Rich/Ben Clelland)

Was reading my Auto express mag today about the best scratch removal stuff and it was saying underneath that general washing the car with a sponge marks the body so was wondering what else was good to use that dont scratch the B'work?
I've heard a few people mention sheep skin stuff can someone shed some light on the subject please

106 GTi
Lambswool Mitt or Wash Pad.

I personally use the Eurow ones that David at Carwasnwax or John at Clean and Shiny Sell.

106 GTi
They are okay, they seem to vary in quality - so look through them and find the softest one.

The quality of the Eurows seems better and they are the same price or possibly cheaper than the halfords own.

Rich said:
They are okay, they seem to vary in quality - so look through them and find the softest one.

The quality of the Eurows seems better and they are the same price or possibly cheaper than the halfords own.
Is it true they dont scratch the bodywork then> like a sponge, How come the sheep stuff dont scratch it anyway?
Defo gonna get one before the next clean, must have

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
How much are the Megs ones from Halfords mate?
It was about £9 I think, bargain I tell thee!

Also I got the weave towel and quick clay, and gold shapoo/wax. came to about £50

MikeDX said:
It was about £9 I think, bargain I tell thee!

Also I got the weave towel and quick clay, and gold shapoo/wax. came to about £50
Like I say defo gonna get one, because Washed me car last weekend and got one of the airline scratches on the roof and had to put Mer scratch remover on which bought it up perfect, Think I got a tiny bit of grit on the sponge

MikeDX said:
Good stuff. I want to just get Scratch-X now, then i'll be a happy boy! :D
lol,
Scratch X got 4stars (recommended buy) in the Auto Express Scratch remover test today, would have got full if it had'nt have had such an High price tag it bascially said, AG won it in the end

UR 197, AB 182 FF
lol,
Scratch X got 4stars (recommended buy) in the Auto Express Scratch remover test today, would have got full if it had'nt have had such an High price tag it bascially said, AG won it in the end

I'm happy(ish) to spend money on the mges stuff, because although it is kinda pricey, it is good quality stuff, and will last for quite a while.

When you consider a carwash at the garage is 3 to 4 quid a time, and its crap anyway :)

al

ST on the way...
Like I say defo gonna get one, because Washed me car last weekend and got one of the airline scratches on the roof and had to put Mer scratch remover on which bought it up perfect, Think I got a tiny bit of grit on the sponge

RyanAir are sods for that :rolleyes: lol ;)

MikeDX said:
I'm happy(ish) to spend money on the mges stuff, because although it is kinda pricey, it is good quality stuff, and will last for quite a while.

When you consider a carwash at the garage is 3 to 4 quid a time, and its crap anyway :)
True, Never used a cra wash never will let anyone/thing clean my car
My brother put his old Metro through Tesco car wash about 3 year ago and came out with a scratch about 7 cm long on the wing, but he were'nt arsed he scrapped it about 6 month later and bought a clio dead the same as mine

106 GTi
lol,

Autoglym Paint Renovator?

Not suprised it won as it is abbrassive enough to go through clearcoat by hand! Does tend to leave fine scratches taking out bigger ones though.

RB 182
Seems like Rich has covered it but as with Rich I have a few lambswool washmitts, the best I have are the ones from David at CarWash'n'Wax. The latest one's I got from David are even softer than the previous ones.

Another thing with a lambswool washmitt is that they hold lots of water which make them softer on the paint than say a sponge would, hope you get what I mean.

benclelland said:
Seems like Rich has covered it but as with Rich I have a few lambswool washmitts, the best I have are the ones from David at CarWash'n'Wax. The latest one's I got from David are even softer than the previous ones.

Another thing with a lambswool washmitt is that they hold lots of water which make them softer on the paint than say a sponge would, hope you get what I mean.
Have you ever used the Halfords or megs lambswool washmitt?
so you just use it in the same way as a sponge?

Leon Cupra 300
how the hell do you get a really light scratch out using scratch x... im struggling and want to seal my paint.

RB 182
Have you ever used the Halfords or megs lambswool washmitt?
so you just use it in the same way as a sponge?
The other lambswool washmitt I've got is a Meg's one but I don't think it's as good as the ones from CarWash'n'Wax, it does the dirtier bits such as below the bump strips.

I use them with on my hand but I know that Rich prefers to use it as a sponge.

106 GTi
Like Ben says I fold the cuffs in and use it as a sponge. The Eurow branded ones really are the best ones I have found.

Got one today, Got the Halfords sheepskin mitt 8notes looks pretty good tbh, they did'nt have the Megs one in so settled for that.
Only went in for that and ended up buying Mer leather cleaner, Tyre dressing and Bumper cleaner cause they were on 3 for 2,

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Rich said:
Lambswool Mitt or Wash Pad.

I personally use the Eurow ones that David at Carwasnwax or John at Clean and Shiny Sell.

My auntie in america sent me what looks like a huge, real thick sheepskin mitten, always wondered what it was for, now i know.