ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to remove swirls light scratches ect on my black 172 and make it mint.

Black Sheep
My 2002 172 paint is good for its age except from some small stone chips on the front and a small scuff apart from that its only got the odd very light scratch. I was filling up the other night and under the lights I could see a lot of swirls on the roof ect, Think this could be caused by a buffer or just general washing with sponge by previous owners. What I want to do soon is get the paint from looking good, to looking mint! I plan to get a buffer type device to help me out like a pad for my cordless. What would you guys recommend as the best process to this I have got quite a few Auto Glym and turtle wax products so I plan to use them. I know people on here say they are cheap rubbish ect and dont work, but they are easy to get hold of and they suit my needs when ever I have used them, and i already own them and dont plan to go spending money cause I want to get the alloys refurbished. The process I was thinking was with the products I own as follows correct me if this would be wrong.

1. Wash car and dry with micro fibre towel.

2. Use buffer pad with Auto Glym super resin polish.

3. Finish off with turtle wax by hand or with buffer?

4. Final light rub with clean microfibre towel.

Cheers any advice would be helpfull

GTD, Lupo
I will leave this to the pros :D but just a word of advice. When i first got my G220 about 2 years ago i went to the scrap yard and picked up an old bonnet (same car and colour) and just experimented with it. I made mistakes buts it better to do it on a £5 bonnet from the scrap yard than on the already good paint on your car. You will also then work out what works and what doesn't.

Black Sheep
LOL! I thought that myself. I am open to reasonable suggestions for products i should get to do a good job. Just not a list as long as my arm that would cost a small fortune.

Depends on how much correction you want...
DA machine
Clay
lime prime
Sealent/wax
Quick detailer
3m blue tape

Thats the basics really, im sure someone with a lot more knowledge will help though.

My 2002 172 paint is good for its age except from some small stone chips on the front and a small scuff apart from that its only got the odd very light scratch. I was filling up the other night and under the lights I could see a lot of swirls on the roof ect, Think this could be caused by a buffer or just general washing with sponge by previous owners. What I want to do soon is get the paint from looking good, to looking mint! I plan to get a buffer type device to help me out like a pad for my cordless. What would you guys recommend as the best process to this I have got quite a few Auto Glym and turtle wax products so I plan to use them. I know people on here say they are cheap rubbish ect and dont work, but they are easy to get hold of and they suit my needs when ever I have used them, and i already own them and dont plan to go spending money cause I want to get the alloys refurbished. The process I was thinking was with the products I own as follows correct me if this would be wrong.

1. Wash car and dry with micro fibre towel.

2. Use buffer pad with Auto Glym super resin polish.

3. Finish off with turtle wax by hand or with buffer?

4. Final light rub with clean microfibre towel.

Cheers any advice would be helpfull

You have unforunately contradicted yourself.

Getting the paint work corrected will need time and money. And the marks are likely to be down to previous washing with a sponge, yes. But also down to your method and products used as well.

If you want to get your alloys refurbed and that's not leaving you with large amounts of money, you need to look into hiding the marks, not correcting them.

You have several options;

1/ take it to detailer, have it corrected, keep on top with the right wash method. Circa £150.
2/ buy the kit to correct it yourself (it's not hard, but requires patience). Circa £300 once all products are purchased.
3/ hide the swirls with a filler product like BlackHole, circa £20.

Black Sheep
Cheers for the advice black hole circa would suit my needs so I will look into it. I won't get the drill buffer either get a proper one for the job drill would be harsh when I think about it!