ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best suspension to run slicks on ?

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
Bit of advice really i am looking at changing my suspension again from the b14 to something harder and more adjustable (damper and rebound) but i am toying with the idea of putting slicks on it as well so instead of me keep changing the suspension just put the ones that will work with slick on straight away. It will be going onto a clio 182.
As well where would people recommend getting the slicks from and which brand to go for ? I am guessing everyone runs the 15inch on the car rather than the 16"s ?

Many Thanks
Ben

olly-r

ClioSport Club Member
  clio
depends how much money u wanna spend , i use them K Tec 182 750 club spec spax coil over, super stiff if you want it, no rear roll bar required, and i use 205/50 r15 dunlops direzza h on front and toyo 888 on rear

Clio 220 PH2
depends how much money u wanna spend , i use them K Tec 182 750 club spec spax coil over, super stiff if you want it, no rear roll bar required, and i use 205/50 r15 dunlops direzza h on front and toyo 888 on rear
I don't want to spend silly silly money but at the same time if i did go to slicks i don't want to change them again if you know what i mean ?
Will that suspension you are using be ok with slicks ?
Also what adjustment do you have on them can you adjust rebound and stuff ?

Many Thanks
Ben

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
To be honest any high end coilover will do the trick (ast5100/4100, kW v3, gaz golds, avo's)

Clio 220 PH2
What are these k-tec spax suspension like are they good ? I called k-tec today and they were saying one of the best on the market (I know they are trying to sell them) but good starting point or are these ast a million miles better ?

Civic FN2 Track Car
I had the spax system on mine before I bought my AST's

They were terrible, too soft for track they ended up breaking where the strut connected to the top mount.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Clio 220 PH2
I had the spax system on mine before I bought my AST's

They were terrible, too soft for track they ended up breaking where the strut connected to the top mount.

Buy cheap buy twice.
Really thats not good
When you bought your ASTs did you buy them with the top mounts or do you run standard or solid top mounts ?
Also did you buy them direct from ASTs or is there a supplier that you can get them from ?

Cheers

What are these k-tec spax suspension like are they good ? I called k-tec today and they were saying one of the best on the market (I know they are trying to sell them) but good starting point or are these ast a million miles better ?

From what I've heard and seen they are DOG s**t.

I've got ASTs and they are simply awesome.

@Kelv can get you a good discounted price on GAZ's, which I've heard are also very good, you can spec what you like.

Clio 220 PH2
From what I've heard and seen they are DOG s**t.

I've got ASTs and they are simply awesome.

@Kelv can get you a good discounted price on GAZ's, which I've heard are also very good, you can spec what you like.
Well thats that then i am going to stop looking at them haha i don't want to change them again i have made that mistake once haha
i am coming around to the idea of having the ASTs would you have the top mount they sell or just buy solid ones ? because the top mounts they sell are £300 :0

Civic FN2 Track Car
@Ben NBR Cup

I bought my AST's direct from Curtis at AST and I matched them with a brand new set of pure motorsport solid top mounts.

Unfortunately my car is now for sale and I may be stripping it soon so all parts will be for sale

Daniel

Clio 220 PH2
@Ben NBR Cup

I bought my AST's direct from Curtis at AST and I matched them with a brand new set of pure motorsport solid top mounts.

Unfortunately my car is now for sale and I may be stripping it soon so all parts will be for sale

Daniel
Right ok that is good because i didn't really want to pay £300 for the top mounts. Did you just buy the ASTs 5100 1 way with no upgrades ? Cheeky question did he manage to give you any discount on them lol ?
Thats not good are you changing it for a new project ? I will keep an eye out if you do strip it

Ben

Clio 220 PH2
I bought 5100s with 85nm ish spring rates.

They are paired with the Pure Motorsport solid top mount and strut brace kit. Works great!
Beautiful you lot have made my day haha. I am happy to pay for the suspension at the price it is on the internet but i really didn't want to buy there top mounts purely for the fact its silly money for top mounts.
Ben

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
As said either speak to Curtis or Josh at Cooksport (will be able to help you out with spring rates etc as well) or I know @Cub. managed to get a some good service via another place for AST's :)

As said just do a search on here about the Spax and you will see a few very early failures which wouldn't inspire me with confidence especially on slicks!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Have you got a cage (a proper one, not a show one)? I wouldn't run slicks without one personally.

I'm running ASTs with custom spring rates, and various other bits and considering slicks next year. Bought mine from J-tech automotive, excellent service.

I'd also look to do a full suspension refresh and make sure the car is as "tight" in terms of its suspension as possible. Slicks can add up to 30 per cent more grip, and will push the standard components to the limit at times. Any weakness, and it will come to light quickly.

They also need close tyre management on track and for the first few laps you'll be the slowest thing out there as you put heat into them.

It is a lot of money to throw at a car to run slicks, I'd probably go with Direzzas DZ03g and save the cash....

Clio 220 PH2
As said either speak to Curtis or Josh at Cooksport (will be able to help you out with spring rates etc as well) or I know @Cub. managed to get a some good service via another place for AST's :smile:

As said just do a search on here about the Spax and you will see a few very early failures which wouldn't inspire me with confidence especially on slicks!
Thank you very much I will give them a call see what they recommend :)

Clio 220 PH2
Have you got a cage (a proper one, not a show one)? I wouldn't run slicks without one personally.

I'm running ASTs with custom spring rates, and various other bits and considering slicks next year. Bought mine from J-tech automotive, excellent service.

I'd also look to do a full suspension refresh and make sure the car is as "tight" in terms of its suspension as possible. Slicks can add up to 30 per cent more grip, and will push the standard components to the limit at times. Any weakness, and it will come to light quickly.

They also need close tyre management on track and for the first few laps you'll be the slowest thing out there as you put heat into them.

It is a lot of money to throw at a car to run slicks, I'd probably go with Direzzas DZ03g and save the cash....
Thank you very much :) for the advice
I am going to be running the safety devices 9 point full roll cage with door bars
I am going to do a full suspension refresh over the winter. To be honest slicks are not a 100% it's just getting the suspension that could run them if later on I want to.
Just changing the conversation, between the R888s and the Direzzas which one is better ?

Thank you for the advice it's brilliant it's really helping me out thank you :)

Thank you again
Ben

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
What I was finding was when the toyos get really hot after a few laps I was loosing a lot of grip do the Direzzas work at hot temp ?

Yep. Although any tyre put through significant heat cycles will go off quickly. The Direzzas were as grippy for me after 15 minutes of use (the end of each session) at Goodwood at the weekend, as they were in the first minute of those sessions. I did start them very low pressure though, and have set the car up to maximise even wear across the tyre.

Most of the racers on here now use them as their tyre of choice in dry conditions.

Clio 220 PH2
Yep. Although any tyre put through significant heat cycles will go off quickly. The Direzzas were as grippy for me after 15 minutes of use (the end of each session) at Goodwood at the weekend, as they were in the first minute of those sessions. I did start them very low pressure though, and have set the car up to maximise even wear across the tyre.

Most of the racers on here now use them as their tyre of choice in dry conditions.
That's understandable I might give them a go see how I get on with them :)