ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best springs to lower but keep standard shocks??

182 Whipppp
Front driver side spring had just decided to snap on me!! Been thinking of lowering it so this has made my mind up for me.
So instead of OE springs was wondering what ones would be ok to use with standard dampers?

Clio 182 and Boxster
Front driver side spring had just decided to snap on me!! Been thinking of lowering it so this has made my mind up for me.
So instead of OE springs was wondering what ones would be ok to use with standard dampers?
This happened on mine and I went the eibach sportline route.
e900cc4f1901fc437c334b9ccd9c30c2_zps265effa1.jpg

I think it depends what you want. I have the Eibach pro kit springs and KYB dampers and the car handles and rides very well. The Sportline spings are going to make the car handle even better, but you will have to sacrifice more ride quality, and on todays roads that could be a real issue. Also a bigger drop is likely to make the standard dampers struggle.

182 Whipppp
I think it depends what you want. I have the Eibach pro kit springs and KYB dampers and the car handles and rides very well. The Sportline spings are going to make the car handle even better, but you will have to sacrifice more ride quality, and on todays roads that could be a real issue. Also a bigger drop is likely to make the standard dampers struggle.

Cheers for the comments guys, but as above, the roads are terrible around here so may go with the pro kit!

BG Clio 182
I have apex springs on cup dampers, but am getting ready to ditch them for a pro-kit or even standard cup springs (if I can find them for a decent price) as the ride is a bit too harsh for daily driving on the local B roads

I had Apex springs on my Fiat coupe for a while and they were terrible.
The bottom 3 coils on each spring sat coilbound when the cars weight was on them and that cause rattling noises whilst going over bumps, the top part of the front springs wasn't central and that caused knocking on the steering due to the top mount not being able to turn correctly, and to top it all they hardly lowered the car at all but gave an awful ride.

Buy cheap and regret it...

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Same as above, have cook sports on mine and they're fantastic.

Ex 182 owner
I opted for eibach pro's as mine is a non cup. Slight drop, but great on the road.

182 Whipppp
Cheers for all the comments again!
Opted to just change the one for an oem for now, as no where local to me had any eibach in stock and had to use my car!