ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best pads for trackdays?

thinking strongly about going to fastcar next month... and im still on standard brakes which are pretty s**t and worn. could anyone point me in the direction of the best front & back brakes without spending a stupid amount of money but has very good braking round a track?

cheers :D

Suzuki Jimny
Re: track days...

What is fastcar? It doesn't sound like a track day.

Use the search function as brakes have been covered at least 4 times.

Fast Car Show.... a magazine iirc... a mate of mine invited me along.

and yeah alrite :/

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Ferodo DS2500 front pads
Castrol Response Super Dot 4 Fluid
Brembo HC discs if you need new ones
Braided lines if you can be bothered

Rears do nothing, so dont waste your money :)

Meh. If everyone always used the search feature to it's full extent, there'd only be one thread for every topic. Either help the geezer or ignore. IMO of course.

Fresh fluid, good condition discs, and a decent pad such the 'rodos, is all you need for moderate track use.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I'm rocking Ferrodo ds2500's and they're great. Will be buying braided lines soon as they make a huge difference.

Carbone Lorraine RC6's get a pretty good review too althouhg they're not as popular as the Ferodo's.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
unless you have a dedicated trackday car you should steer clear of the RC6. Its a race compound and eats discs when not up to temperature.
The RC5+ is kinder on discs and does not have the noise and dust issues of the more hardcore pads. The RC6 Endurance is another alternative all be it more expensive.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to try them RC5+ pads next, I regret not getting them last year but naturally I got persuaded into DS2500's. Not that there's anything wrong with them though!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As above, do pads up front and a fluid bleed/flush.

Can't stress too much about leaving the rear brakes alone though. They do nothing, so any money spent makes brakes that do nothing do it better.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't touch the carbon lorraines imo. Used the rc5+ last year, after 1 track day they literally fell to bits (pad material came away from the metal backing). Happened on both sides, and since then a couple of other people on here have pm'd me to say the same.

The ds2500's are really all you need. People seem to have this need to try new compounds for the sake of it when the ferodo's do the job perfectly. Guess they just aren't cool enough pads ;).

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Thats because you fitted them incorrectly then when you sorted that out , you went straight out onto the track without putting any miles on them , I'm not surprised they didn't work properly !

We gave you the oversized pads , same shape pads as some of the other traders offer in the DS2500 pads , with the larger pads you need to remove the thin stainless steel shims that fit between the pad and calipers , you left these in place which jammed the pads in place causing the brakes to lock on , I'm amazed you got the pads in at all as it must have been a hell of a tight fit , then when you sorted that out you went straight out on the track with new discs and pads with no prior mileage and expect them to work ??

If they are fitted correctly , and have some mileage on them , about 50 miles for pads only , and over 500 miles if fitting new discs as well , then they will perform brilliantly.

I sell Ferodo , Mintex , Performance Friction , Carbonne Lorraine , Pagid , and in my opinion the new EBC bluestuff NDX is the best all round pad available today.

182 FF
Thats because you fitted them incorrectly then when you sorted that out , you went straight out onto the track without putting any miles on them , I'm not surprised they didn't work properly !

We gave you the oversized pads , same shape pads as some of the other traders offer in the DS2500 pads , with the larger pads you need to remove the thin stainless steel shims that fit between the pad and calipers , you left these in place which jammed the pads in place causing the brakes to lock on , I'm amazed you got the pads in at all as it must have been a hell of a tight fit , then when you sorted that out you went straight out on the track with new discs and pads with no prior mileage and expect them to work ??

If they are fitted correctly , and have some mileage on them , about 50 miles for pads only , and over 500 miles if fitting new discs as well , then they will perform brilliantly.

I sell Ferodo , Mintex , Performance Friction , Carbonne Lorraine , Pagid , and in my opinion the new EBC bluestuff NDX is the best all round pad available today.

No we removed the shims right away the pads would not fit end of story, and we had to grind off about 5mm to make them fit. Plus they are marketed as a race pad so how are you supposed to bed them in on the road? And as I've said we've done the same with Ferodo's and had no issues (new discs/pads).

Oh and the guy who fitted them worked for Renault for ten years and was a mastermechanic for Renault UK, and worked for Jaguar setting up the Jag XJ220 for race use and servicing them for celebrity owners around the world. And that Transit with the Jag XJ220 running gear on Top Gear the other week? He built it.

I'm not into willy waving but people talk some crap on here. Just because you sell them you don't know everything...

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Don't touch the carbon lorraines imo. Used the rc5+ last year, after 1 track day they literally fell to bits (pad material came away from the metal backing). Happened on both sides, and since then a couple of other people on here have pm'd me to say the same.

The ds2500's are really all you need. People seem to have this need to try new compounds for the sake of it when the ferodo's do the job perfectly. Guess they just aren't cool enough pads ;).

did you send the CL brake pads back? No-one else seemed to be overly bothered which is a shame as it seems a relatively isolated issue and the pads could have been tested to find the problem.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No we removed the shims right away the pads would not fit end of story, and we had to grind off about 5mm to make them fit. Plus they are marketed as a race pad so how are you supposed to bed them in on the road? And as I've said we've done the same with Ferodo's and had no issues (new discs/pads).

Oh and the guy who fitted them worked for Renault for ten years and was a mastermechanic for Renault UK, and worked for Jaguar setting up the Jag XJ220 for race use and servicing them for celebrity owners around the world. And that Transit with the Jag XJ220 running gear on Top Gear the other week? He built it.

I'm not into willy waving but people talk some crap on here. Just because you sell them you don't know everything...

We have sold about 20 sets of these pads now , along with the free sets that were given out , and no one has had to grind any pad material that I know of , so I dont believe you had to remove 5mm off either end of the pads , when you mentioned it on PM when it happened , I checked every pad we had on the shelf , and they were all exactly the same length.

As you fitted brand new discs and pads , and went straight out onto the track , I'm not surprised you found them poor , you wouldn't build a brand new engine , start it up and go ragging it around the track ! well you should NOT do it with brakes either , I'm surprised your super mechanic didn't tell you that .

I sell brakes , thats all I do , so I make it my business to know just about everything I need to know , I have been rallying for over 20 years so I know how to get the best out of a car , and I soon know what works and what doesn't , and I know that the bluestuff NDX pads work.

Warren as much as your very knowledgeable, I think you've been unlucky with some of the products you've owned for previous RS's and you now tarnish the various companies for it. There obviously was a bad batch of CL pads and you must of had a set of them but to be fair i've had a set and had absolutely no problems. Seems the same case with the AST's you previously owned, obviously its your experience with the products but they do get refined/redesigned.

Last edited: