ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best lens for video

Ford Fiesta ZS 2013
I am looking for a lens for my Canon 500d I have a video project coming up and need a lens that will give a nice video image quality. I am looking to rent a lens as buying one is out of my financial bracket at the moment. Can anyone recommend a decent lens that can cater for quality?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
A good video lens is said to be he Canon 24-105mm F4L IS because it has a nice range and IS, however, if you want some nice shallow DoF shots then I'd reccomended a 50mm prime of some sort, or even an 85mm

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Kinda like asking 'Which car shall I buy for an upcoming event'....

Budget ? Requirements ?

Are you filming bats 1/2 a mile away or people in the same room ?

More than welcome to borrow my 50mm if you're anywhere near Basildon.

Ford Fiesta ZS 2013
well Its mostly up close action shots nothing to far just torso and movement really. Budget is really about £100 or so. I live in Dagenham so Im only down the road.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, well £100 won't get you far really, the kit lens is the only option for under £100 other than the 50mm F1.8 but that doesn't have IS which most find helpful when shooting video.

Ford Fiesta ZS 2013
Well I was looking at hiring a lens so £100 I have looked and is a fair amount. I need a quick lens as some shots could possibly be in the night so need a fast lens that's why renting was a option. I will have to have a look just wondered if anyone here had any video experience. Thank you fro all the reply's I will have a look at some of the suggestions =)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Only use manual for video.....that's my experience

That's a good point. Should be able to get an old, manual prime for that money.
I remember a while back I picked up a 28mm f2 (I think) and the adapter for Canon fit for under £50.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Only reason I say this is - autofocus on most DSLR types is pretty useless in video situations, with either hunting or motor noises.
If working @ f1.4 this is magnified massively. If you already own an auto lens it's advisable to chuck it all into MF.
Most pros stick an old manual lens on.